Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,809
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, TLL, FishinRod, DrewSh, New Guy, catscratch), 1,157 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How about this link?

http://www.backyardnature.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=740

Edit:

Scratch the above. Absolutely worthless. Doesn't tell you anything but send you in a circle.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/23/10 01:14 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I hear you on the understaffed part. They need to double the number.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Originally Posted By: JKB
I briefly read the link that JHAP posted and noticed the word Aquarium mentioned several times. With this dang cold I have right now, it's hard to concentrate.

The word aquarium is only mentioned once in the document on page 9.

Stop doing NyQuil shooters. laugh

You are correct Sir! It only shows up once on page 9 (pdf word search), but, I somewhat read all of the documents in the link. And Aquarium, along with the word "Permit" caught my eye, within the context of course.

I actually can read legal a bit.

I wish I had some NyQuil right now. But I am opting for some Capitan Morgan at this point!

It is a Miracle Cure for such ailments! At least till morning laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I hear you on the understaffed part. They need to double the number.

Not a priority with our politicians.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
Make no mistake, in many states, game wardens have have the same power as a federal marshal. They are some of the most powerful officers in the state.

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Originally Posted By: surfsteve
Hmm... These are fish and game regulations. My fish are pets. Unless I pull a permit or invite them, what gives them jurisdiction over my back yard and my pets? It's not like one of their deer wandered in or even one of their fish and I'm not on their property so how do fish and game rules apply to me and my pets?

Read the name of the regulation:
REGULATIONS GOVERNING PRIVATE STOCKING OF
AQUATIC PLANTS AND ANIMALS (NONCOMMERCIAL)

Do what ever you want, you should just know the law.

I have read these regulations over and over my interpretation is this:

IF your property is located in certain areas (see page 3 of the regulations sited above) and IF you only want to stock one of the following fish (white catfish, channel catfish, blue catfish, largemouth bass, bluegill, Sacramento perch, rainbow trout, redear sunfish) then you DO NOT have to get a permit.

If your pond is not located in the geographic areas detailed in the brochure AND/OR if you want to stock ANY fish other than the eight species listed above then you must apply for a "Private Stocking Permit" (Form FG 749).

Note: this permit only lets you stock fish in private waters, this permit does not allow you to sell aquatic plants or animals.

This post is not intended to be construed as legal advice. Read the regulations yourself and draw your own conclusions.

What about a backyard Koi pond? How many people with a koi pond have a permit?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Hmm... These are fish and game regulations. My fish are pets. Unless I pull a permit or invite them, what gives them jurisdiction over my back yard and my pets? It's not like one of their deer wandered in or even one of their fish and I'm not on their property so how do fish and game rules apply to me and my pets?

They may be pets to you, but they are definitely fish and game to the state. CaF&G can go on any property at any time for an investigation. In some states the signing of a hunting or fishing permit waives your rights and authorizes the game warden to enter your premises without a warrant to check for wildlife violations.

Here is a VERY pertinant portion of the California law for you to consider.....IIRC, it went into effect on 05/01/2010 and does NOT have any "Grandfathering" clauses...NOTE- ALL tilapia are of the family Cichlidae

14 CCR § 671 Cal. Admin. Code tit. 14, § 671

§ 671. Importation, Transportation and Possession of Live Restricted Animals.

(a) It shall be unlawful to import, transport, or possess alive animals restricted in subsection (c) below except under permit issued by the Department of Fish and Game. Permits may be issued by the department as specified herein and for purposes designated in Section 671.1 subject to the conditions and restrictions designated by the department. Except for mammals listed in Fish and Game Code Section 3950 or live aquatic animals requiring a permit pursuant to Fish and Game Code Section 2271, no permit is required by this section for any animal being imported, transported, or possessed pursuant to any other permit issued by the department. Cities and counties may also prohibit possession or require a permit for these and other species not requiring a state permit.

long list of various animals follows, among them:

(O) Family Cichlidae -Cichlids
1. Tilapia sparrmani (Banded Tilapia) (D).

2. Tilapia zilli (Redbelly tilapia) (D), except permits may be issued to a person or agency for importation, transportation, or possession in the counties of San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, and Imperial.

3. Tilapia aurea (Blue tilapia) (D).

4. Tilapia nilotica (Nile tilapia) (D).

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
The quote below is from Inland Fisheries Informational Leaflet No. 35 as posted to the State of California Department of Fish and Game's website.

"Tilapia will be approved only only in San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside,San Diego, and Imperial counties. It may be stocked there only in waters approved by the Department of Fish and Game. Only T. mossambica and T. hornorum may be stocked, and recipient waters must be approved by the Department. No tilapias may be imported until the genetic integrity of the stock has been certified. This certification may be required for every shipment."

Although I don't know for certain I believe that koi ponds are exempted from these requirements under this paragraph in the publication above:

"Aquaculture" means that form of agriculture devoted to the propagation, cultivation, maintenance, and harvesting of aquatic plants and animals in marine, brackish, and fresh water. Aquaculture" does not include species of ornamental marine or freshwater plants and animals not utilized for human consumption or bait purposes that are maintained in closed systems for personal, pet industry, or hobby purposes, however, these species continue to be regulated under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 2116) of Division 3."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Steve, one thing you should know about your swimming pools....They are NOT considered "closed" systems as they are directly exposed to the elements and are legally a "pond".

S
OP Offline
S

Let me get this straight. By purchasing a hunting or fishing license you are signing away your right to privacy and allowing them to come on your property any time they want?

I never possessed a hunting or fishing license and based on what you are telling me I'd have to be nuts to ever buy one.

I think it's time to build a dome.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Years ago in Arkansas if you had a hunting/fishing license, you authorized the game warden to enter any property you owned at any time and without notice to check for illegal wildlife.

S
OP Offline
S

How long was the authorization good for? I would think the length of the permit?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I think it's time to build a dome.

I would have to completely agree with you.

And just to be sure that I am completely understood, let it be known that I do not agree with the regulations that California has imposed upon us. Frankly I find them arbitrary (using a two lane road as a boundary for fish stocking regulations) and over bearing (requiring property inspections in order to transfer species of fish that already exist in a given body of water).

That being said the rules are the rules.

Given that you are in the middle of the desert and that your system does not connect to any other body of water, I would guess that you could get a permit to stock the Tilapia (if you are stocking the allowed species).

IMHO these new regulations are crushing pond owners and fish suppliers.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
S
OP Offline
S
My fiberglass tanks that I've been trying to get finally came. They are huge! It's about time. I made an agreement to buy them way back in July. I will get some pictures when I find my camera.

S
OP Offline
S
I found the chip to my camera but still haven't taken any pictures of the tanks. Yesterday I noticed a fish swimming like he was in trouble. I checked the water temp and it was down to 45 degrees. We put put about six inches of water from my hot water heater in the pool and covered the dome. He was ok yesterday evening but I noticed today that my goldfish pond in the front is covered with ice. Even the waterfall is now an ice cycle fall. Haven't check the back yet. Hang on for a few...

It's cold out there... I think I'd better wait till the sun hits and it warms up a bit before I open the cover. It seemed a lot warmer under there yesterday than it did outside. Hopefully they are all all right.

S
OP Offline
S
Does anybody have the proper dimensions for the tubing lengths to build a proper dome for a 12 foot pool? I was in a hurry when I built mine yesterday and couldn't find the book. I made it a little too large but it's going to have to do.

Also instead of covering only the pool with plastic I covered the entire thing, filters and all. I think it will stay warmer that way and perhaps making the dome a little big adds more dead air space... it just looks stupid... maybe funny is a better word. It came out much higher than the one in the book and lower to the ground. The 20' wide sheet of plastic makes it to the ground with only six inches to spare at it's narrowest point. I used blocks and rocks and benches to hold down the plastic and there is no door but all I have to do is move some rocks and benches and I can get underneath. I poked a small hole with my finger and put the pump outside. Otherwise it is all one continuous piece of plastic. As soon as it was finished both me and my neighbor decided we are building greenhouses in our back yards. I can't believe how easy and cheap it is. I want to find a real store that sells pipe in 20 foot lengths. I'm going to experiment with different pipe sizes. Do any of you guys have any links or plans for building greenhouses? I had to buy a 100 foot roll of plastic to get it 20 foot wide. I have plenty left over so my only expense in building another one will be the PVC. Does anybody know if I can use rubber gloves for PVC cement to keep it off my hands, or will it eat them? Also I wonder since I am limited to 20 feet of plastic if it might be worth building some kind of sides to attach them to. Perhaps a roll of insulation down each side supported by rebar pounded into the ground and backed with plywood would be a cheap way to extend the height. I have everything but the rebar on hand...

I just checked under the dome. The water is way warmer than the goldfish pond. The ice in the goldfish pond is melting and all collecting at the waterfall. It looks beautiful and all my fish are alive in both ponds. I can't get the the thermometer but the water under the dome feels warmer than yesterday. I think it will continue to warm up in there for the next few days. Sure is cold outside!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Does anybody have the proper dimensions for the tubing lengths to build a proper dome for a 12 foot pool? I was in a hurry when I built mine yesterday and couldn't find the book. I made it a little too large but it's going to have to do.

Scot (Esshup) has my Small Scale Aquaculture book that has the exact lengths for a 12 foot pool. If Scot sees this maybe he can tell us.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks. After looking at all the plans I think I would like to keep it simple and start out by building a giant 24' replica of the dome featured in the book. but have it lay in the ground instead of hanging over the pool. I would have to buy a 40 by 100 foot roll of plastic to cover it for 200 dollars that would be enough to make two domes and it would cost about 120 dollars for enough 1 1/2 inch PVC per dome (two crosses, eight three ways and 12, 20 foot lengths of pipe per dome). Probably no door at first, just lift up the plastic to get underneath and see how it turns out and if I use it. If I like it I will build another one and get fancy with it. Also I will probably add a ring made of 40feet of 3/4 pipe over the dome for added stability.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't have a scanner, so you'll have to do with a description.

Material needed:
4 pc. 3/4" x 162" PVC Pipe
(to make bows to hold visqueen in the dome shape)
8 pc. 3/4" PVC "T"'s (to attach bows to PVC ring that circles the side of the 12' dia pool)
8 pc. 3/4" x 57" PVC Pipe (to make ring around pool)
1 pc. 20' x 20' 6 mil Poylethylene dome cover
Nylon String (to tie around bottom of pool on the outside of the dome cover)

This is a material list for a 3' tall by 12' diameter pool.

Fasten the 162" PVC pieces together where they cross at the center with #12 copper wire. To do that, once they are in position, drill a 3/16" hole thru all the pieces and use the copper wire.

They also say fasten 3 vertical struts to the pool side with copper wire.

The 6 mil plastic overhangs the pool sides all the way to the ground, and out for a ways. You tie the plastic around the pool at the bottom with the nylon string. Then you cover the plastic that is on the ground with a circle of 8" thick sand. That's the reason for the door in the dome - the cover isn't removed or lifted off for access to the pool.

The door frame is a trapezoid made from 3/4" thick by 2 1/2" wide material. The top is 35" wide, the bottom is 57" wide. It is 29" tall, and the sides are at a 22 1/2° out from the top to bottom. The frame is attached to 2 of the dome struts. They show #6x3/4" FH screws (2) in each corner holding the frame together. They don't specify how the frame is attached to the dome struts. The plastic door is attached to the frame by using 4 equidistant snaps on the top, 5 on the bottom, and 3 on each side.

Clear as mud?? grin

If you don't have the book, you really, really need to buy it. It will save you more $$ than the book costs in less than a month.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scot,

You're a real sport for taking the trouble to post that. I hope Steve appreciates your time.

What do you think of the book?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yes Scott, quite the tireless trooper you are.

If you want your own copy for free, send me a PM with ship to info. and I'll get it out next week.

I have three. I bought two and SVG sent me a third one free with a thank you note. I'll keep that one!

I was also thinking of what to do with the other one, maybe a contest based on third grade math and history! Could be fun!

Winner gets a free copy!

What do you all think?

Last edited by JKB; 11/27/10 03:53 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thank you, thank you! PM sent.

Scanning would have been easier, but I use 8 fingers and a thumb, so typing it out didn't take that long! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the description. I did buy the book. Honest! I couldn't find it and I waited till the very last minute to build the dome in a panic. I knew I was making it a little big when I cut 10 foot pieces in half but I couldn't remember the 57 inches. My error of three inches was multiplied by 8 causing the dome to be two feet larger in circumference. I didn't even bother to measure the 162 inch cross members so I have no idea how far off I was. I'm sure they were way too long. Maybe by as much as a foot. I don't think it really matters as long as it is covered. It just looks really funny and too big.

Do you think it was a mistake in putting the plastic over the filters too? I thought it would help in keeping them extra warm but I suppose it cuts down on the amount of oxygen the fish get.

I was sure that book was going to turn up after I finished the dome but so far it hasn't surfaced.

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 04:36 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump