Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,971
Posts558,069
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,553
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
8 members (LANGSTER, bmicek, Sunil, Brian from Texas, azteca, Jason D, AnthonyDLF, canyoncreek), 889 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#239646 10/30/10 08:43 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Greetings!
The Queen and I have a house-sitter in place to take care of LL,2 and the dogs so we're headed to South Dakota to meet up with Dave & Susie Willis, give a speech to the SDSU American Fisheries Society chapter and hang out...maybe chase a pheasant.
We'll get to see several of our buddies, Norm Kopecky and Peter Maffei, for sure. Doesn't sound like Dwight can make it, though.
We'll leave Sunday, November 7 and drive north. The speech is Monday evening at 6:30 in Brookings, SD.
Then, we'll head for home Thursday, November 11. Looks like the route will take us from Brookings through Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Omaha, Topeka, Wichita and Oklahoma City.
If any of you would like to set up regional Pond Boss meeting that evening, November 11, we could do it. Looks like Omaha is a good candidate (hint)...but so is Topeka.
Anyone interested?
My email is pondboss@texoma.net
Let us know if it works for anyone...
I'm also looking for stories and pictures for the magazine along the way, so even if a regional meeting won't work, we can at least meet, talk, share some time and get a few photos.
Let us know.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
South Dakota can't wait for Bob and Debbie's arrival! Yes, a chase after the wily rooster pheasants "might" be involved. smile However, all "work" is obviously done in the best interest of our students, eh??

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Will the students sub for the retrievers ? wink A few words to the students about the connection between PB , this forum and the SDSU Chapter might occur. Have fun guys !!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wonder how the Texan will handle the climate change? grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
He'll let you know!
The Queen is packing his thermal stuff...even though it's only supposed to be in the upper 40's...kid stuff.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Upper 40's are the highs. What's the lows supposed to be? Shotgunning with gloves on is hard, at least for me. Good luck and shoot straight!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Upper 20's. Good weather to hang with Dr. Willis. I'll take it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It'll be brisk in the morning. Here's hoping that the wind lays down for you the whole time you are there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No such luck, esshup! Forecast tomorrow is "breezy." smile

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Too soon old, too late schmart.
That kind of temp range is only good for sitting at a canasta table with good friends.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well, it's about 70 today, but probably only upper 50s tomorrow. The wind is not fun, though, as it makes the birds spooky. smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You guys are going to luck out with the weather. I was expecting you'd have 30's by now.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Any reports yet ?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eric, we just got home, cleaned birds, and took showers.

The Monday night talk to the SDSU student subunit of the American Fisheries Society was great. Bob did his typical outstanding, fun job. We had fisheries grad students, undergraduate students, a couple of the state agency biologists, and Pond Boss friends Norm Kopecky, Mike Johnson, Bill Gibbons, and Peter Maffei.

We had a wonderful day today (Tuesday) at Pond Boss subscriber Peter Maffei's place. Wonderful hospitality. Bob, Queen Debbie and I arrived about 10 a.m., hunted, had lunch, hunted some more, and then had supper! Whew. We also stopped and talked at the pond after lunch, and before the afternoon hunt.

Peter has a quarter section of well-managed habitat. We are guessing we saw about close to 50 pheasants, not counting the dozens that were coming out of the standing corn into the grass at sunset. Weather was great, about 60 F, and wind was moderate. We also saw thousands of ducks of many species, a few deer, and two monster flocks of snow geese (one to the south of us about a mile, and another off to the northwest).

OK, OK, I'll get to the point. We ended up with six roosters for three of us, and Bob and I will both have to sheepishly admit that we could each have had another bird. :-) Bob got two, so it was a nice day.

Bob will post pictures later.

Forecast for tomorrow is now rain. Bob and I may be able to sneak out for an hour or two at 10 a.m., and hopefully the forecast is right and the rain will hold off until noon or so.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
OK, here are some pictures. First, let's start with THE Pond Boss talking to the SDSU Student Subunit of the American Fisheries Society. Somehow, the ghost of Dr. Condello seemed to be present....

Next, a few pictures after sunset after that great day at Peter Maffei's place! First, a picture of Bob with a nice rooster.

Finally, here is the crew. From the left: Brian Graeb (fisheries professor at SDSU), Sauger, Lady, Sir Bob, Lily (mostly interested in birds, not pictures), and me. We couldn't get Peter to be part of the pictures.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Notice the hat I'm wearing in the picture? laugh

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That's why I showed the picture.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We had a great time...Debbie and I left yesterday, drove westward to the Black Hills where we grabbed a room reserved for us by Susie Willis at the Creekside Lodge inside Custer State Park.
I got out early, saw lots of wildlife and got some good photos.
Will show them off when I can.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Awesome! That's a great report. I'll bet the students really enjoyed that perspective of fisheries management.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Bob and Dave. Any comments by the students including about the hat?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Go Jackrabbits!...and Jesse West Fund!!!!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
smile

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eric, I didn't hear a single student mention the hat. They are too complacement, aren't they? They need to get out in the real world and see what a "good thing they had," I believe. smile After all, THE Pond Boss was here giving them the straight story! Questions went on at least a half hour after the 45-minute presentation. Then, more students (and Pondmeisters!) stayed behind for more visiting. Both Bob and I mentioned that the Jesse West Endowment was the first research endowment in our department, and that Jesse West, Eric West, and the Pond Boss family were the reasons that SDSU was the fortunate recipient. We had three JWW recipients in the room: Melissa Wuellner, Justin VanDeHey, and Mark Kaemingk. Plus, former recipient Nick Peterson was mentioned by Bob because Nick will be sampling some of the ponds that Bob manages for his (Nick's) graduate research at Mississippi State University. Small world - small profession.

F
Fingerling
Fingerling
F
I will never forget listening to THE Pond Boss lecture (about two years ago??) while I was in school at SDSU. Your right Dr. Willis, that Bob Lusk guy sure does give a straight story! From student to struggling catfish farmer to THE Pond Boss. Quite an inspiration to a young aspirant fisheries biologist! Good things come to those that “Think outside the box.”

Since we’re on the topic, I must personally thank the West family and the entire Pond Boss family for the support and opportunities provided from the Jesse West Endowment! The JWE gave me GREAT fisheries experience and lifelong memories. Can’t thank you all enough!

Dr. W...I sure remember the "good ol' days" at South Dakota State University. However, I must say that I am extremely jealous of you all!! This is the first pheasant season I have missed in nearly 11 years! Looks like you all had a great time. Hopefully I can corner some ‘ditch chickens’ when I’m back in Iowa in December.

B. Lusk…over halfway through Tears of the Cheetah. Great recommendation! Looking forward to collaborating on some great research!

-Nick P

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
FutureBoss, formerly known as Nick, you can "pay us all back" when you write up your largemouth bass genetics research for a Pond Boss magazine article! smile

By the way, Nick, you have the honor of receving my 2,000th post! A milestone! Is that cool or what that I hit 2,000? I can't compare with our "big" posters, but I'm slow and steady! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by ewest - 04/30/24 12:35 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 04/30/24 10:41 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:17 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice