Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,025
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (canyoncreek, Sunil, Jason D, Boondoggle, jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, STG, phinfan, catscratch), 1,281 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
BarO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I should be seeing some floaters in the next couple of days.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I finally saw mine last Saturday. A few were dead but most were almost dead so I dipped up some big ones and revived them. I put them in my overwintering tank and ate the worse off ones. Sunday there were 3 more and Monday there was one dead. I think that was it.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Up here along the Red River, my tilapia died about three weeks ago. I had them in three different ponds. One pond, heavy with bass, I saw no dead tilapia, the second pond had several tilapia almost two pounds each, and I saw them lying on the bottom in water three feet deep. The third pond had no other fish. It is a small production pond we seined six times. About two hundred fish escaped the net and perished. Buzzards made short work of the remainders which a great blue heron didn't get as they died.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Seems like there was an article a few years ago in Pond Boss which said if you have predators in the pond w/Tilapia, you will not see many, if any, dead Tilapia, but if you do not have predators you can expect to see thousands of dead Tilapia.

Guess what happens to the Tilapia in your predator based ponds? Be careful, pond meisters, or your predators will get too large. ;\) ;\) ;\)

B
BarO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I need to take temps again.....still no floaters. The only Tilapia I expect to see will be in the 2-3# range.

B
BarO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
My pond was 50 degrees at 12" depth......still no floaters. LMB really look healthy!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Three quick hits...

1) I fear my predators are getting too large from the dieoff, I do not see any tilapia when they perish ! And, I have a LOT of predators !

2) There's a blue heron mystery here...

3) Ponds without predators should have Millions of dead fish, not Thousands...do the math, or lookup the old reproduction thread \:D

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have only had a few die off. I went out last week in a boat and still saw several large schools of them.

When I had my die off last year from the severe cold they it was to fast and they were way to big for most of the predetors.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
TEXAS715,

I hope you pass through long enough to receive my thanks...I've been dealing with Kenneth Henneke for some large brooder Tilapia to stock in my experimental overwintering system. I'm completely impressed with his set up, his approach to customer service, and his willingness to help me on that project. I want to thank you very much for that recommendation.

Now if I don't kill his fish, by spring I should have boatloads of Tilapia for pond stocking...but that is a very big if right now. Thanks again for your help.

p.s. If it hadn't been for that early Dec. cold snap around here, I'd still have Tilapia in outside ponds also. Water temps have stayed at or above 60 degrees ever since then.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Meadowlark.. I still have a few that just floated this week.. But I have no LMB or catfish.
I plan on stocking this pond with Catfish this spring

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Really? That is most interesting...maybe I spoke too soon and still have some myself. I did see several vultures on a pond bank a couple of days ago but didn't think much about it thinking the Tilapia were all gone.

Are you still running well water to try to help keep pond temps up? Wonder if that actually may be helping, contrary to what I predicted. Very interesting, indeed. Do you happen to know your current water temp?

B
BarO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I will check my water temp again, but I have not seen any sign of live Tilapia for about 3 weeks. I do have some 2" CNBG from a late spawn swimming around.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
Really? That is most interesting...maybe I spoke too soon and still have some myself. I did see several vultures on a pond bank a couple of days ago but didn't think much about it thinking the Tilapia were all gone.

Are you still running well water to try to help keep pond temps up? Wonder if that actually may be helping, contrary to what I predicted. Very interesting, indeed. Do you happen to know your current water temp?
I gave up on the well water idea after my first massive die-off.. I checked the surface water temp. 01/04/07.. 50 degrees

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
LoopTech,

I checked yesterday and confirmed what you reported earlier...a new Tilapia floater indicating to me that some indeed have survived the early Dec. cold and also indicating the possibility exists that I may have some others that continue to survive in the 20 to 25 foot water depths. This is the longest mine have lasted into the cold temp periods.

I believe it is very possible, with the aid of a supplemental Tilapia production system, to have year around economical(i.e. highly affordable) Tilapia forage in my ponds. If the mild winters continue, a supplemental re-stocking two or three times in the balmy periods after the winter cold snaps would enable a year-around forage base of Tilapia. The occasional cold snaps simply provide a great mechanism to keep the overall population and size of the Tilapia in check. Its a system I'm trying to get in place this winter and perfect as soon as possible.

B
BarO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
ML and LT,

My water temp is back at 52 degrees after all the rain. I believe I lost all my Tilapia in December. I counted what probably equaled 80%(over 2 week period) of the Tilapia stockers that I put in last May. Good news ..... all the youngsters became forage!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
LT & BarO,

A couple of new floaters this morning in deepest...probably the last of my outdoor Tilapia this season. Because they survived this long, the longest yet, they must have been in the deepest water during the earlier cold snaps.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Even with the cold that we have had I went out and saw several schools in the shallows where the well water is coming in. This will make three years since the only stocking of 100 Tilapia.

My die off last year had to number in the thousands.

B
BarO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I haven't seen a Tilapia since December.

Tx715, I wonder why you had so many Tilapia left last year to die off. My predators get all but the original stockers that were 2-3#'s when they succombed to the cold. I didn't even see one floater less than 12" in the last 2 years.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I got really cold here for about todays, in the teens. I think it come on so fast most had no chance. All of them were also 12" or bigger. some survived and have since repopulated.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 12:25 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length