Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
S
OP Offline
S
I found out a few days ago that the last pet shop in Ridgecrest closed down. They only had a few feeder goldfish left at Walmart but they were only ten cents. I called the manager of the pet department and told them about my pool and that I wanted a couple hundred of them for my pool. He said that he got them in bags of 250 so we agreed to order a fill bag for 25 bucks. I'm so excited. The fish come in on Friday. Of course!

S
OP Offline
S
I'm not sure if I should change the title of this thread now that I don't have anymore tilapia.

Tomorrow will be a week since I restocked with goldfish. The water temperature went up to 92 degrees yesterday and I lost about ten fish. All my friends are telling me that my fish will cook but I know they wont because I raised six goldfish with the tilapia last year and not only did every one of them survive but they outgrew all the ones in the cooler front yard kiddie pool.

As I recall last year I lost about 1/3 of my fish when I stocked the kiddie pool. After the inital shock I've only lost 2 fish and they got caught up in the filtration system when I tried leaving the cover off for better filtration. Bad idea! So far this time, I've lost close to 50 fish but none since I last checked yesterday evening, when it reached a maximum of 92 degrees. This morning the temperature was down to 76. Perhaps that is why the fish were able to survive the high daytime temperatures last year. I was told by a friend that nearly every one of the 500 remaining fish at walmart had died so I guess I am pretty lucky. So far I've lost less than the 1/3 I bought at the pet shop last year. They must ship them under a lot of stress.

I already had to do a water change yesterday. Probably because my 300 watt pump I was using last year to run the filters burned up. Instead of running 5 barrels on a 300 watt pump I'm running 4 barrels on 2, 40 watt pumps this year. My bill went down a lot more than the 30 dollars a month I expected to save when the pump died over the winter.

I noticed this morning that the water is clearer than the day before. I also took the hose and shook loose everything I could in my filters before hooking them back up. I couldn't believe how much sludge came out of them. I even did the kiddie pool filter. I couldn't believe how fast those new fish made the water dirty without the filters. By the next day I couldn't see the bottom anymore.

I am feeding them 6 times a day. Still feeding them cat food that I chop up in the blender. I mix half food and half calcium bentonite clay. Seems to be making the ones in the front yard grow really big. I hope the ones in the back yard can handle the heat. It got up to 96 degrees last year and they made it so I think I'll be ok once these guys get acclimated and over from being shipped from China or wherever walmart gets their goldfish from.

I can't believe how small the new goldfish I just stocked are. They look almost small enough for the ones from last year to eat!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Steve, if your pool is not in the shade, you can add floating 4x8 sheets of styrofoam insulation to keep some of the sun off.

S
OP Offline
S
I actually have a sheet of plywood in there to give them some shade to swim under. The Styrofoam would be a good idea for floating plants. I only lost one fish yesterday and it was at the hottest part of the day. The temp only went to 88 yesterday. I think they are over their initial shock of being shipped.

I also carried 60 gallons of water from my kiddie pool and dumped it in the large pool. I noticed the water seems to have a little bit of a black color to it this morning. I don't know what happened but the tilapia really messed up the microbes this winter. I probably should have took down the whole pool and filters and cleaned it but I'm too lazy or busy. I haven't decided which excuse to use yet.

S
OP Offline
S
Looks like my fish have stabilized. I only lost one three days ago since my last post.

My front yard was a different story however. Over night the top kiddie pool developed a bad leak. It was hardly anything that night and it looked like the water was all leaking into the bottom kiddie pool before I went to bed. But by the time I woke up there was only an inch of water in the top pool and it was dry to the top of the pump in the bottom pool.

I put a new kiddie pool in and while it was down I leveled the new pool better and got the water fall to cascade more towards the center of the bottom pool.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I also added a bird ramp this spring and haven't found a single dead bird or rodent in since I installed it. Come to think of it. That's the other function for the plywood in the back yard pool. I used to have around two bats per month drown in the pool before I added it. Now it never happens. They always seem to make it to the board where they can crawl on top to dry themselves off and fly away.

Since I changed the kiddie pool, now both front and back yard seem to be having dirty water problems. Hopefully that will work it's self out. I live in the dessert where water is expensive and I refuse to change water less than once a month. Lately I been only filling the pool about 3/4 of the way to the top and I don't empty the water to change it till it gets down to half way due to evaporation.

I also read that goldfish were edible. So it's not a total loss. I raised the Tilapia mainly as pets but it's comforting to know if I really had to I could eat either one of them in an emergency situation.

At the way the economy is deteriorating that could be any day now.

S
OP Offline
S
I just made this youtube video of my new goldfish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGKGS_iYkRk
Video Description:
These are some common feeder goldfish I bought at wallmart a few weeks ago. They more than doubled in size and have brilliant colors. I feed them a mixture of indoor cat food which I grind up with a blender and then mix in up to one half calcium bentonite koi clay I found on Ebay. I also bought some edible clay for humans on ebay but I actually like the taste and the way the koi clay intended for fishes makes me feel a lot more. I thought about switching clays with the fish but I am afraid giving them the clay intended for humans might negatively affect their health. Fish don't lie man. All these guys get is Algae, Calcium Bentonite Clay and Genetically Modified Cat Food and they are thriving on it. Imagine if they had a good diet! I been taking broken cell chlorella algae for years. I buy mine from the store, unlike the fish... That's where I draw the line!

Last edited by surfsteve; 06/30/11 02:58 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You have a significant set up there. Who would have ever thought of raising fish in Death Valley?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Ditto with what Rex said but it can be done. Can I suggest a book called Small Scale Aquaculture by Steven VanGorder? An entire chapter on Tilapia breeding and almost the rest of the book covers systems used to raise them. Even shows you how to build a recirculating aquaculture system, which I built for my basement and is covered in the most recent issue of Pond Boss. The book is available on Amazon.com for about $25.00.

Wow Cecil did you ever get a bargain. Look at the prices now. However, One way to get this book is through your library loan. I have done this many times. I tried to get it for Kindle PC but it's not available.

Small Scale Aquaculture by Steven D. Van Gorder (Paperback - 2000)
1 new from $914.53 10 used from $90.00
Amazon.com

Last edited by John Monroe; 07/04/11 02:12 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Ditto with what Rex said but it can be done. Can I suggest a book called Small Scale Aquaculture by Steven VanGorder? An entire chapter on Tilapia breeding and almost the rest of the book covers systems used to raise them. Even shows you how to build a recirculating aquaculture system, which I built for my basement and is covered in the most recent issue of Pond Boss. The book is available on Amazon.com for about $25.00.

Wow Cecil did you ever get a bargain. Look at the prices now. However, One way to get this book is through your library loan. I have done this many times. I tried to get it for Kindle PC but it's not available.

Small Scale Aquaculture by Steven D. Van Gorder (Paperback - 2000)
1 new from $914.53 10 used from $90.00
Amazon.com

You can get them directly from the author Steve VanGorder here: Small Scale Aquaculture

22.95 includes shipping.

Steve is a nice guy. I talked to him a few times and sent some emails back and forth. We were discussing HSB and how well adapted they are to RAS and how profitable HSB can be. The only road block is that HSB are not legal in Michigan. I talked with the powers that be in MI, and there was a slim to none chance of getting approval.

Their fear was that a delivery truck could have a mishap and accidently release some into State waters. I did not know Rex at the time, but I could have eased their fears by telling them that Rex dont deliver in MI laugh Just kidding of course Rex!

It really is silly, I have seen these books on ebay for a couple hundred dollars. Even saw some ads claiming that this was a very rare and collectible book. Sucker born every minute laugh

J
J
I just ordered mine, thanks

J
J
I and now reading "Small Scale Aquaculture by Steven D. Van Gorder" just for general knowledge and enlightenment, but I got to thinking. We have a spa we don't use anymore in a sun room with windows nearly floor to ceiling on three sides and two sky dome windows. The water temperature can be controlled as can the room temp, and it has a one hp circulating pump that has a good sized filter for oxygenating the water. Perhaps add a biofilter. On a sunny day the room stays about 20 degrees warmer then the outside temperature. See any problems with this being use for minnows or Tilapia, if I could get it past the wife?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You need to figure out a way to get solid waste material up off the bottom of the spa and out of the system.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
turn it into an aquaponics room! fresh herbs and veggies should go over well, and provide filtration, sounds like a nice mini greenhouse to me

J
J

It does seem to have some fun possibilities doesn't it. If I remember correctly there is a powerful suction drain at the bottom that circulates the water through the filter and that might take fish solid waste out but not the liquid waste such as ammonia. That would be a biofilter maybe. I'm just getting into this.

I do remember seeing pictures of a recyclable bio system for growing food and fish. As best as I can remember it was a long troth of water with fish in it. Laid on top of the water was a rubber mat. Maybe neoprene with slits in it to hold plants. The roots grew in the water where the fish ate the roots and took up the fish waste for fertilizing the plants. I have no idea if it worked out.

I am running a side experiment now similar to that in the pond. The container is planted with mustard spinach that has grown and is up about 2" at the present time. The bottom of the container is about 1" below the water line and has a dozen half inch holes in it so the water seeps up into the soil mixture. The planting material is 3 equal parts of potting soil, perlite and vermiculite.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sounds like a way to get a creatively done aquponics room!

Make sure whatever fish you use, that the offspring aren't sucked into the pump system of the spa.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rex, in a pond situation, how long before Mama stops hovering over the babies (i.e. letting them take refuge in her mouth)?

One of the orange ones has had babies for 2 weeks now. It's the first sign of baby T in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
Rainman that's what I was thinking that the fry might be sucked through the system. A big upside down dome strainer might be a solution. Just thinking out loud for now. The pump has two speeds, one that would really oxygenate the water and the low speed still bubbles the water some. And it may also have a slow flow control. You can tell it's been awhile since I have been in it. The book "Small Scale Aquaculture" has lots of interesting solutions & projects. Getting this a past my wife could be my biggest problem.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Scott, the length of holding is usually 2-3 weeks from spawn but is directly related to the threat level to, and size of, the fry.

John, a window screen is almost too large to prevent fry from being sucked in to even a small pump...Tilapia fry/fingerlings will swim up and downstream willingly.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: John Monroe

It does seem to have some fun possibilities doesn't it. If I remember correctly there is a powerful suction drain at the bottom that circulates the water through the filter and that might take fish solid waste out but not the liquid waste such as ammonia. That would be a biofilter maybe. I'm just getting into this.

I do remember seeing pictures of a recyclable bio system for growing food and fish. As best as I can remember it was a long troth of water with fish in it. Laid on top of the water was a rubber mat. Maybe neoprene with slits in it to hold plants. The roots grew in the water where the fish ate the roots and took up the fish waste for fertilizing the plants. I have no idea if it worked out.

I am running a side experiment now similar to that in the pond. The container is planted with mustard spinach that has grown and is up about 2" at the present time. The bottom of the container is about 1" below the water line and has a dozen half inch holes in it so the water seeps up into the soil mixture. The planting material is 3 equal parts of potting soil, perlite and vermiculite.

That's a good idea. I wish that I had started just one plant like that a year ago as an experiment back when I started this thread. Who knows where it would have gone by now? Thanks for the motivation and the idea!

J
J
Surfsteve, the plant is looking yellowish. I added some fertilizer into the mixture, maybe too much. I stuck my finger down into the medium and it was wet, so it is getting water. Maybe too much. Getting the right kind of plant is probably critical.

What I am thinking could be tried is taking a square of rubber neoprene 1/4" or 7 MM and slicing some + slits in it to hold seeds or already started plants to be inserted into the + and then laying the neoprene on the water. It would float but yet always be moist and the roots would quickly grow into the water. If the plants would grow too heavy and sink the neo. then perhaps a hula hoop with a water noodle threaded onto it and the neo. in between. Or something to hold the plants in between and it would be a floating island. The noodle/hula hoop with a net hanging in between might be used for fish cage culture also. I was looking at the noodle/hula at Walmart yesterday and a floating hoop could be put together for maybe $5 or a little more.

S
OP Offline
S

Now that I think about it I used to water all my plants with fish water a few years ago and stopped because they made them turn yellow. Was never sure why but they recovered when I switched back to tap water.

J
J
Steve I am reading "Small Scale Aquaculture" and there are some suggestion on which plants to use that are adapted for water. WATERCRESS, WATER CHESTNUTS, WATERLETTUCE, PHILLIPINE WATER SPINACH. Also the book said some types of plants for raft culture (floating styrofoam) and would be certain tomatoes, but didn't say what kind,, and head lettuce.
The book says plants can be grown in the water but also suggest that the medium they can be grown in is---

4 parts vermiculite
2 parts peat moss
1 part sphagnum moss
1/2 part bone meal (0-11-0)
1/2 part wood ashes (0-9-10
1/4 part sea kelp

A few years ago I went to grocery and bought a bunch of watercress and just pushed the leaves in at the edge of my pond with my fingers and they rooted and took off. Then one day they were gone. I think my grass carp eat them.

By the way, I once took the small shoots of young cattails and pealed the out sides of the stock off to the tender white center, sliced them up and added to salads. They taste pretty good.

S
OP Offline
S
Cool idea. I'm going to check and see if our grocery store sells watercress and give it a shot!

S
OP Offline
S
Also my fish have been doing really good. Haven't lost any since my last water change almost a month ago. The water in my kiddie pools has stabilized and is staying clear but the old tilapia pool still has not cleared up. Probably feeding them a little too much.

I am thinking of adding some mosquito fish.
saw some on ebay. Not sure if the big goldfish in the kiddie pools are fast enough to eat them or their babies but it seems like a good idea. Also thinking about getting some tadpoles.

J
J
I have gotten my stuff together to go after the algae eating Northern redbelly dace in northern Indiana. Chest wader, single person seine, food chest rigged with oxygen pump, pictures and identifying features of the minnow and the exact places in a creek from a 1973 biological survey of fish in this stream. So I will be disappointed if I don't find any. So I'm waiting for the heat to back off. We are on a 7 day run of temp. in the 90's to 100 and the heat index above 100. Yesterday it was 100 with an index of 110 at Indianapolis so this is great FA growing weather.

Last Monday when the temp was in the 90's I made a one minute video of my pond and how the FA wasn't penetrating into the main body of my spatterdock. After Thursday the spatterdock was still holding the FA back. Sunday I will make another one minute video added to the first one for comparison to see if the spatterdock is still successfully holding beck the FA or not, and I will post it. My Curly Leaf pondweed isn’t able to stop FA like the spatterdock does and I have no idea why.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday