Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 710 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237321 10/10/10 03:48 PM
E
ezylman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I have been feeding the fish in the pond at the ranch all summer long. The shiners, bluegill, and bull heads come up to eat and then the LMB come a calling. Over the last week, feeding activity has DRASTICALLY decreased. Only some shiners are coming up in the far corner of the pond. I have heard that feeding will scale back when they are spawning, but isn't it a little late for a spawn here in Texas? Water temps should still be in the 70's. Any ideas?

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Has the water temperature dropped quickly recently? I know you said the water temp was in the 70's but perhaps it was in the mid to upper 80's recently? I find my fish slow down temporarily if there is a sudden drop in temp of 5 or more degrees. It's usually only temporary though.

Another possibility is you've had a good hatch of forage fish and the fish are targeting those instead of the pellets. Even the bluegills will target small minnows. I've actually observed some of my bluegills mixed in with a pod of smallmouth cruising the shoreline for fathead minnows.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/13/10 08:55 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'm out close to Abiliene and my fish have stopped feeding in the last week or so. I haven't checked the temp but I agree with Mr. Cecil, I'm thinking the water temp dropped pretty quick in the last week with the air temps dropping like they have.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
my bg were cleaning up all the food each time the feeder went off within 2 minutes, now they dont even clean it up at all. we had some pretty cool nights last week. i was figuring the bg feeding would increase as the water cooled a little. water temp is still about 70 here.

Scott Hanners
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I hope to get out and check mine this weekend as I need to add more feed. I hope they are still feeding as I would like to use what feed I have as I know it will not keep until next year when I start feeding again. I should have enough food to last another 3 weeks, which I was hoping to feed through rifle season since my stand is so close and all.

Will the Chanel Catfish continue to feed in this cool weather?

Are there any other fish that may feed as well?

I would like to take the temps as well, does anyone have a recommendation as to what type of gauge to get to do so and where I could find one at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Go to your local Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Buy an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer (not a wireless one). Set it on outdoor, put the probe in the water and wait 'till the temp stabilizes.
I bought mine for less than $10 and it has a probe that is 10' long.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I use to have a high tech aquatic temperature recording device.

Unfortunately it has disappeared.

I think it migrated south for the winter and has never come back.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I use to have a high tech aquatic temperature recording device.

Unfortunately it has disappeared.

I think it migrated south for the winter and has never come back.

Ah, yes, the Duckmaster 3000. Well, given their highly coveted standing in the temperature management industry, and given the trespassing activity on your land, I don't find it at all surprising that it's gone. The DM3000 was probably stolen by your interlopers and sold for more money for crack and meth. What a shame that you were robbed of such an intricate piece of equipment just so someone could get a 15 minute high. Shameful.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No dollar signs on the DM3K. That confuses the Beancounter.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
ezylman Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Looks like Cecil was correct as usual. Fish came up to feed again this weekend. I feed by hand, so I constructed a 10'x10' feeding ring out of 1.5" PVC and it is proving to be pretty successful. The feed stays in there and keeps it from getting blown into the shore by the wind. The bass are also really appreciating having all of the golden shiners and bluegill nice and concentrated. Last night they fed for over 30 min.

Water dries, rocks crumble, and trees die. The only thing that is eternal is the reputation we leave behind.
- Ancient Viking Proverb

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
We had a sudden drop in temps last week in East Texas. However this week we are fairly stable and the fish are feeding at normal levels. At last night's feeding I had a very healthy turnout for the entitlement program.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ezylman
Looks like Cecil was correct as usual. Fish came up to feed again this weekend. I feed by hand, so I constructed a 10'x10' feeding ring out of 1.5" PVC and it is proving to be pretty successful. The feed stays in there and keeps it from getting blown into the shore by the wind. The bass are also really appreciating having all of the golden shiners and bluegill nice and concentrated. Last night they fed for over 30 min.

Thanks for the kind words but I can assure you I'm not always right. Ask my wife! grin

Good to hear your fish are feeding again. I've noticed once temps stabilize they are back on the feed bag as Clayton says, that is, if the temps don't drop too low.

Fish are much more sensitive to their environment than we give the credit for. In fact they are much more sensitive period. Don't even get me started on how anglers that pat themselves on the back for releasing fish in very hot or cold water are probably killing some of them.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/10 07:51 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Still feeding well here in Central OH. My water has cooled a lot, but they are feeding nicely at this point. Truck said 33 as I drove into work this morning... I need to invest in a thermometer for the pond.

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You can get a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer from any large store that will work. Mine cost <$10 and it has a 10' lead. I can get readings down to 9' or so if I go out in the boat. Switch it to outdoor temp and away you go!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rcooked
Still feeding well here in Central OH. My water has cooled a lot, but they are feeding nicely at this point. Truck said 33 as I drove into work this morning... I need to invest in a thermometer for the pond.

My BG has been feeding as of this past weekend, but then Sunday afternoon I was at the pond and tossed in some food and they didn't touch a single pellet. I may try once more as we're in a little warmer stretch for a few days and it may entice them, but it looks like we may be just about finished for the season.

Todd La Neve

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Well, I went out and fed this evening after Rex left, and the activity was way down from last night. However, this morning we were at 33 when I left the house, so they are going to be slowing way down.

Rex should be heading your way! I had a golden trout tonight near the beach which looked to be struggling, so I waded in (cold ^%^& water) and grabbed him, made a couple really nice fillets for supper!

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sweet! That's where they're all destined to end up anyway, right? No harm in getting a quick start when nature is providing the bounty! Yep, I should be seeing Rex tomorrow night and getting a first look at the soon-to-be residents of the pond!

Todd La Neve

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass