Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Todd the one collected range in size from 10" up to 16". We shocked but realeased many that were 4 inches in size. If we get time Matt can age one that dies just as an fyi. I also got two giant redhorse (I think that is what they are) about 18".

they made it thru the weekend, down to 60 but I think we are in the clear. Man I hope so.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Greg, those are some absolutely huge creek chubsuckers! I would have to believe the bass are filling their bellies with the 4" fish. You gotta take photos of these weird catches you get like the possible species of redhorse. I know myself and Bill Cody would enjoy seeing them among others. Work out the numbers and what ever fish you don't have a buyer for out of the 60, I'll buy from you...

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Has anyone caught them when possessing a very red-purple colouration? I have caught some very large chub in a river in Quebec, (Black River) that at certain times are very brightly coloured adn much larger then I would expect, up to 14". I just never have a camera. (Well I did once but it is now at the bottom of said river) Don't care for the bizzare gurgling noise they make when you catch/handle them I must admit.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You probably caught a species of actual chub, not sucker... There are a few species that go over a foot and can get red/purple coloration on the males when they are spawning.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Well, all our efforts, the purchase of a new $200 oxygen bottle since we cashed one suddenly and we are lsoign fish. Got back in town today and lost 34. We will go thru do a water exchange but will not have enough to meet demands. Sorry we tried. Life a fish man is not as easy as seem think.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
did an water exchange- we are down to just 11, bummer.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Apparently those fish are living up to their published water quality requirements or sensitivity. They reportedly tolerate low DO well - 0.3-0.5ppm. It must be LCS are not very tolerant of some type of reduced water quality which explains why they have dissappeared from many localites especially streams. Canary in a coal mine type of thing. I think holding LCS esp large ones in a crowded tank does cause some undue stress that many other fish can tolerate. Evidently LCS are not as toleant of certain stressors as other "regular" pond/lake fish. To date these stressors may be unknown. This may be a factor in using LCS in ponds that occassionally have poor OR unfavorable water conditions, such as high turbidities or other unknown chemical stressors. At this point, we also cannot completely dismiss the affects of the electro-shocking and handling had on these adult fish. Are LCS temperamental?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/02/10 04:04 PM. Reason: edits & clean up

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sorry to hear this Greg... I really appreciate the effort. Perhaps next time collect the intermediate sized fish, those in the 4"-8" range. They should be adults and ready to spawn, but maybe a little easier to handle?

Cody says: smaller individuals may help with holding and survial. Testing that theory will probably be the only way to tell. I am sure Greg, based on his long time live fish experiences, did the best he could with holding adult LCS. Life is a learning curve.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/02/10 04:08 PM.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Cody we had 65 (I think that is what we got back here) spread over 4 tanks- 275 gallons each, with both blower going and flow thru to exchange water about once a day. We hold fish quite reguraly at much higher densities with no real issues. Bob wants me to write up our setup b/c anyone can do it behind their dam of their pond.

I agree Matt reminded me when we started handling them about their sensitive nature. He lost some haulig a few years ago when Bass Pro wanted some from us for aquariums.

Also Cj interesting but the little ones were the first to go. The redhorse and chain pickerel of course that no one really wants are doing just fine.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Murphy's Law evidently also applies to holding fish. The desired ones parish first despite all good efforts. As I told CJ what ever survives has a tolerant and desirable gene pool.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/02/10 08:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, working with LCS is definitely a learning curve. Lots to learn with these fish. I may have to just meet you at a shocking location some day Greg, one you know has a good LCS population. Then I can grab the LCS as you shock them up and head north with them to go around the holding tank issue. Hopefully the fish you have left will survive long enough so that rcn11thacr can get them at least... If just 4-6 adults survive, they should be enough to get a population going if the conditions are right...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
CJ, Thats kind of you for sure, it would be really great if a few made it. I feel bad for Greg since it seems that its a loose loose for him all the way around. He certainly has made great efforts to help all of the interested parties.

I subscribe!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
thanks for understnading

and then there were 9

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I have been dealing in fish now for (man Im old) 18 years. i have never seen fish act this way. Down to 3 this is from 80 we loaded on the truck. The vultures around here love me.

Just shocked a great local lake but man is it hot already 89 but back to 56 for high on friday.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Wow Greg, I dont think your trip to Fl. is gonna come soon enough. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I subscribe!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
been out of town and no more lcs alive upon return. I guess we can close this thread and thank Todd Overton for producing them because that might be the only way for folks to get em.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
That is bad news for us all. \:\( Wish the news was different. That being said Greg thank you for your assistance, willingness to offer your services, knowledge, and time to help us all. Im sure i speak for all of us who were interested, we greatly appreciate you for what you have done.

I subscribe!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sorry to hear the news Greg...

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I am pretty sure the photo of the LCS on Todd's website came from the mid-sized lake in front of my house. I do think they have a high level of utiltiy for growing big bass. They shocked up 5 to 10 in my lake, all of which were breeder-size, but certainly smaller than what is depicted in Greg's photo. I am super interested in seeing what Todd's assessment of these fish is, how often they reproduce, how big they can get, what kind of environment to they like or feel most comfortable in.

These fish do get big, and would be a high-choice food item for bigger basss.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I just wanted to add a general theory of the make-up and overall dispostiion of the LCS. These creatures were shocked up in a lake that had an abundant amount of vegation. This may confirm their need for aquatic plant life to reproduce and flourish. I think they were introduced into a larger lake of mine, without any vegetation, and there were no surviviors present after a shock survey. Interesting.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Here is the forum thread where we thoroughly went over the characteristics and the possible use of LCS in a pond or lake...

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I realize that this is something of a thread revive and hijack, but has anyone considered raising and selling LCS for the Musky bait market?

In the Fall in the upper midwest, fishing for Musky with live suckers in in 10"-14" range is pretty common. Bait shops sell suckers for $6-$8 each. From what I gather, most of these are white suckers netted or trapped from the wild. With the spread of VHS and other diseases, it's possible that one of the big Musky states like Minnesota or Wisconsin will clamp down on shipments of wild fish. When that happens, somebody able to produce Musky sized sucker type fish from a hatchery environment could make a tidy penny.

Most of the information currently out there on LCS stocking focuses on use as LMB forage, rather than on quickly producing and catching LCS in the 10"+ size range.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think the biggest issue LCS would face is they take 4+ years to reach the 10" range... It would be easier to raise white suckers which have a much faster growth rate to use in the bait for musky market. White suckers are already raised commercially.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump