Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I need opinions on this site for a small pond (25'x 30 or 40') 8 - 10 feet deep.

We are in a drought in the panhandle of WV. Two feet down, hit good ground water. The field slopes from a mountain base towards a river in the rear. The elevation of the test hole (lowest spot in the field) is just a few feet above the river.

During the wet season at this spot, groundwater seeps to the surface.

My thinking is I basically go with a aquifer fed ground level dugout. A little grading to keep runoff away, and let the pond fluctuate to full (10') to low (8').

Also thinking of digging a few more test holes near the perimeter of the pond to make sure the groundwater aquifer is solid and not contained in any way. No clay whatsoever in the soil..all rocky/silt/gravel. Any ideas?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TBB,

I just saw this post and your other posts. If you can find a way to dig a hole, I think you'll have a successful pond.

I'm a little northeast of you, about a mile east of the Cacapon, between Highview and Capon Bridge. My pond overflow goes into the Cacapon.

There are large amounts of underground water near where you are. Here is an excerpt from a web site about the Lost River, which is very near you -- maybe you are actually tapping into the Lost River.

Quote:
The Lost River is located in the Appalachian Mountains of Hardy County in West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle region. The Lost River is geologically the same river as the Cacapon River but flows into an underground channel northeast of Baker along West Virginia Route 259 at "the Sinks" and reappears near Wardensville as the Cacapon. The source of the Lost River lies south of Mathias near the West Virginia/Virginia border. Along with the Cacapon and North Rivers, the Lost River serves as one of the three main segments of the Cacapon River and its watershed.

For a long time I bought trout from one of your Rio-Baker (locally pronounced rye-oh, not ree-o) neighbors who had a massive spring that fed a number of trout runs. The North River flowed through his property, below his springs. Over at the WVU Reyman research farm on 259 near Wardensville, the springs provide an immense amount of 55 degree water, year around, for the trout runs and for an aquaponics greenhouse.

If you can get a hole dug, I think you'll have plenty of water year around.

Also, if you don't already have somebody who will attempt to dig the hole, send me a PM and I'll put you in contact with a good friend who can at least evaluate the situation. It will probably take a lot of pumping -- he's got pumps, and it will require a dumptruck or big dump trailer to quickly move the wet dirt from the excavation. He's got the right equipment. Currently, he is rebuilding some ponds just over the line in Gore.

Welcome to Pond Boss, and good luck.

Ken

P.S. I'm down about 18 inches from full-pool, which is the lowest I've ever seen my pond.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just a second thought . . .

You could be extremely fortunate with your water. Between you and me, there is the Capon Springs Resort. The owners are friends. They continue to allow people to fill jugs full of water from their springs.

Their spring water includes lithium. People have enjoyed, and been very happy with their water, for centuries.

Maybe your pond can also provide "happy water." As many have found, don't use the water in your aquarium. It is much better for humans.

Ken

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Are you saying there are several Bi-polar people around that spring Ken? grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Are you saying there are several Bi-polar people around that spring Ken? grin

Not as long as they drink Kool-Aid made from the water!

Most of us are quad-polar, or higher.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Not as long as they drink Kool-Aid made from the water!

Most of us are quad-polar, or higher.

laugh laugh laugh

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks so much for your reply. It is very helpful. There is not alot of information on a ground water acquifer dugout, I guess because they are easy.

And yes I would like to contact your friend, I need his advice as we are doing a bit of construction right now as described below.

The land litteraly sits in the Gap of the Short Moutain. This is from a 1789 deed to the land

Francis I. Combs 260 A on N River the waters of Great Cacapehon in the gap of Short Ass. including a great spring.

The Great Spring is actually on my neighbor's land. When they built the modern Ford/Augusta Road, his mother told him the blasting stopped up the spring....he worked and reopened it some.

The Short Mountain was named the Short Arse Mountain in Colonial times. Thus my property sits in the crack of the Short Ass. The North River flows south from its headwaters turns due east in the gap, then at Rio south again to the forks of the Cacapon.

We bought the land in 2005, built the cabin in 06 and finished in 07. Have mostly concentrated on the Cabin and gardens....Gardens produced 426 lbs of vegetables last year. This year over 1000 lbs. I use an intensive raised bed method with a couple of side gardens.

My wife also wrangles Bees...she has four hives going. This fall we are constucting a Bee House for her...a sportsman's type cabin 16'x 20' near the hives to use as storagae and apiariay work space. Also putting in an orchard and more garden space. We are trenching 450 feet from the well to the Bee house and bringing electric from the Utility R/W (about 190 feet). This is all shown on the attached 2009 aerial photograph.

The North river forms my back property line. It is stocked with trout April - June. large pools behind the Cabin. My 4 1/2 acres of pasture continues with 10 acres of woodland up the steep slope of North Short and adjoins the Short Mountain WMA.

We have to ford the North River to get to the Cabin. Always fun in high water. I have a lifted Jeep with a snorkel. Occasionaly have been stuck a few days, waiting for the water to go down.

Right now the River is sad, bone rock dry, with a few pools of water. I was surprised the ground water was so high. The 22 inches and then 36 inches of snow must have really stocked it up this winter.

Here are a few more shots, and I'll shoot you an email for your friend's info. We could have the backhoe for a month if we wanted, but it may not be able to dig a 10 foot hole with the type of slope and then more vertical sides we might need.

The Big Boo

Attached Images
cabin 09 aerial3b.jpg cabin3b.JPG cabinsnow.jpg lt1.jpg fawns e.JPG fenced in raised beds.JPG lt2.jpg lt3.jpg river1.jpg
Last edited by The Big Boo; 09/01/10 08:18 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks heavenly, Boo. Very nice, man
Cabin? Cabin? More like a country chateau. More nice stuff.
Honda CL 350?

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks...no CL but those are great if you have the time to fix one up...it's the newer Triumph Scrambler 865 ccs....We have a matched pair, but don't have the time to ride them much with all the work at the cabin, farming, etc...

We do commute on a couple of cruisers....We own three yamaha Roadstars...I do about 25,000 miles a year,,,but used to do more frown

here's a shot of her bike...the pretty one...

The Big Boo

Attached Images
beauty k-2s.jpg
Last edited by The Big Boo; 09/01/10 02:39 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fantastic looking place, and yes I know where you are within a few miles. Good to have a neighbor on Pond Boss. My former trout supplier, Steve Haines, was probably pretty close to you, but his address was Delrey.

I sent you a PM with my excavator friend's phone number. I think you'll find you have more than a few things in common.

Great area where you are. You shouldn't have any problem keeping ponds full of water. I'd also say, you probably could keep trout year around with your water source.

Regards,
Ken

P.S. Your photos are great. They show our Pond Boss friends just how beautiful it is in our part of WV.

Last edited by catmandoo; 09/01/10 05:53 PM. Reason: PS

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, even as dry as it was when I was thru there the scenery was beautiful.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
beautiful place and i'm glad she likes bees we dont have many of them around here anymore. i dont hardly see any nowdays just big mean bumble bees that view my body as a plump source to bury their stingers into.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Amazing piece of property!

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM