Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Discussion transferred from Sustainable Forage - Fatheads?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lusk:
ML,
I appreciate your comments and your results. Here's my thinking, or the "rest of the story." At some point, your bass relative weights will begin to decline. They have to. At that point, how will you support the bass population? There's not a practical way, other than full time, surviving forage fish which can consistently reproduce. Tilapia add forage fish and prop up a bass population while helping bluegill survival rates. But, without harvesting selected size classes of bass, you can only prop up a fish population for so long, then it declines. With tilapia, that bass population will reach a point, then decline much more rapidly than with bluegill. When that finally happens, harvest of bass will be mandatory, and replacing a missing forage fish population will be tough. That's all I'm saying.
Changing direction, I will post some observations I have made this year in my own ponds with tilapia. It's been interesting. I have used tilapia to prop up a bass population, I have raised them to sell before. But, this year, I did something totally different, and it has been interesting. I'll post it on the blog in a few minutes.
I am a fan of tilapia....
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
 Quote:
ML,
Here's my thinking, or the "rest of the story." At some point, your bass relative weights will begin to decline. They have to. At that point, how will you support the bass population?
Bob,

I'd sure like to discuss this further, but maybe it is off topic for this thread.

Here is my answer. Tilapia, for me, have substantially, substantially, increased my BG population in every pond they are stocked in with predators. This spike in the population of BG provides a carry over winter forage of small BG for the LMB. I do not see any evidence of relative weight declines after 4 years, only increasing relative weights and increasing numbers of small BG which become winter forage. Perhaps I will see decreases in the future, perhaps not. Right now, in all my ponds(except the TGG pond) I have an abundance of very small BG. Recently spawned BG. I see no evidence of a prop-up at all. I go into this winter with substantial numbers of very small BG for forage. Forage, I would not otherwise have without Tilapia, IMO.

When would you expect to see the relative weights begin to decline? As I mentioned, I'm only into 4 years with Tilapia.

Another observation I have that I have not seen written about by anyone is the cumulative effect of Tilapia. This cumulative effect manifests itself in two ways: 1) sustained increases in BG population and 2) less evidence of algae in early season.

Because of this cumulative effect, which I believe is real, I have reduced stocking rates in one pond this year to 2 to 3 pounds per acre. I have also completely eliminated the need for early season algae control chemicals.

My logic is that the BG have reached a virtual upper limit in numbers and algae can be controlled now with much less numbers of Tilapia (a cumulative effect of a clean pond bottom).

Thus far, this is working out perfectly...no algae and lots of BG. By reducing the stocking rate, if this cumulative effect holds, I can easily overwinter a sufficient number of Tilapia each year, making this a sustaining fishery. Two to three pounds per acre is much easier than 20 or 50 pound per acre! That's what I'm after...a completely self-sustaining program that requires zero chemicals.

Imagine, complete algae control, superior forage through BG and Tilapia, all at virtually no cost. Time will tell if this works or not. Maybe it will be a total failure. Maybe I'll see LMB starving to death....or maybe I'll find a way to achieve what I'm after.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Bob Lusk also stated in his blog (see Tilapia at my house ):

Quote:
Let me set the stage. I live near the southern shore of Lake Texoma, north of Big Mineral Creek, east of Gordonville, Texas, on 12 acre of land. We have 8 small ponds on the 12 acres. The land falls 90 feet from top to bottom. Those 8 ponds cover slightly less than 5 acres. The two .10 acre ponds at the top are rectangular and designed to be hatchery ponds. Both are filled with well water. They are two years old. Last year, we raised some fathead minnows in one, and coppernose bluegill in the other. This year, I carried over both ponds with the same fish. Each pond became choked with filamentous algae, and my biologist, Chad Fikes, struggled to keep the algae in check. Since those ponds are designed to produce revenue, we have to pay attention to how much money we spend on herbicides. Chad worked hard to manage the plankton bloom with small amounts of fertilizer and the occasional microbe treatment.
I decided to stock 5 pounds of tilapia in the northernmost pond, the one with fathead minnows. Within two weeks, all algae was gone, and there were hundreds of babies seen around the shoreline. There hasn't been an algae issue since. The southern pond, the one with bluegill, developed a planktonic algae bloom. Chad chose to treat it with a small amount of chelated copper. Two days later, fish were dying. He turned on the well and began to exchange water. We lost 15 large adult bluegill and probably 150 young of the year. But, there are still several thousand 2-3" bluegill and several more thousand of the next smaller size class of bluegill. But, the pond still ebbs and flows with filamentous algae. With excessively hot temps, we have avoided any treatments other than microbes, and we limit that. We just exchange water. (Water from that pond flows into our main fishing pond)
The northern pond is steady, water looks great, all we do is make up water lost to evaporation. We have harvested 20 pounds of small tilapia for two anxious customers, but the rest of the fish are still there. When the water cools, we'll sample and prepare to harvest.
We also stocked two of the fishing ponds with 5 pounds of tilapia each. Those ponds are deep and not overcrowded with bass. Each has a Sweeney Feeder, too. Will check those out this fall.
My conclusion? Just like everyone else...those beasts have not only eaten some algae, they have controlled it. But, my stocking rate was the equivalent of 50 pounds per acre in the beginning.
I am becoming a bigger fan of tilapia. But, I am still tentative about declaring them anything other than a peripheral fish with a specific purpose or two. That is, until Cody comes up with a new line of tilapia lures.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Now here's the thoughts my limited fish experience intellect came up with on long-term Tilapia dynamics:

Using Tilapia every year makes major shifts in the population of other species. Predators benefit directly from the wonderful addition to the forage base. Prey species (like BG) are indirectly affected also; in ML's case a BG base that was (I'm guessing) seriously impacted by LMB predation each year has gotten a much-appreciated relief from bass eating Tilapia instead of bream. Other forage species, or BG in ponds with different LMB-BG initial conditions might react differently (I have been trying to define a starting scenario where BG would be negatively impacted by Tilapia. I'm not finished with that thought experiment yet, but my belief in the innate perversity of the universe convinces me it must exist.)

I think the major change Tilapia make to pond population dynamics is due to their ability to convert a seldom-used biomass portion, FA, into flesh usable by the fish population.

Tilapia's ability to add usable biomass to the foodchain makes the use of Tilapia similar in many ways to supplemental feeding. Not identical, because they aren't adding nutrients and biomass to the pond, but similar.

I think most of us would agree with what I believe Lusk first stated (at least the first time I read it, Bob wrote it): Something like "If you add supplemental feed to a pond, it changes the fish populations so that they expand (in numbers or size - total mass for sure) so that they come to depend on it. If the feeding is halted, fish go hungry and decline in condition, numbers, and/or size."

How long does it take for a pond with Tilapia added each year to reach a new steady state where populations are adjusted to the Tilapia's effects and have come to depend on them? I doubt anyone knows for sure yet. I suspect it is on the same order of magnitude as the length of time a brand new pond takes to reach maturity (few/several years). After 4 years, ML may be getting close to this state if his pond's aren't there.

Now we need someone to stop using Tilapia after several years' stocking to see what the removal effects would be. Any volunteers?

-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
Now we need someone to stop using Tilapia after several years' stocking to see what the removal effects would be. Any volunteers?
Theo,

As I've mentioned previously, I'm running an experiment this year in one pond with a significantly reduced stocking rate...stocking at 2 to 3 pounds per acre vs 10 to 15 pounds per acre in other ponds.

I'm not, however, volunteering to completely stop using Tilapia in any pond. As long as I have ponds and am able, I will have Tilapia in them.

Tilapia: Best pond management tool I have...nothing is even close.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Nobody ever wants to stop using good tools. \:\( \:D

-S. M. Stirling
G
G
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:

As I've mentioned previously, I'm running an experiment this year in one pond with a significantly reduced stocking rate...stocking at 2 to 3 pounds per acre vs 10 to 15 pounds per acre in other ponds.
ML, if you recall, last year I ran a tilapia “experiment” based on your recommended 5 lbs/acre stocking rate, and it was a miserable failure. Worse FA problem I’ve ever seen. I was reluctant to post results on the forum because I did not want to discourage others from trying tilapia, but I did report results to you by PM.

This year, based on professional advise, we stocked 12 lbs tilapia/acre, after considering water quality variables, such as early spring muddy water from pond renovation and declining water level due to drought conditions,

I am pleased to report very successful results with this year’s tilapia program.

Like Bill Cody says “it all depends”. \:\)

Ps: Water quality variables will control how well predators utilize forage. In particular clear vs. turbid water.
No matter how good the forage base is, if the predator cannot see the prey – skinny predators

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
I put 50 lbs fo tilapia into Zephyr Pond which is two acres. The pond has really gone down a bunch, but the tilapia are doing well and I seem to have tons of small BG. I think maybe the tilapia have taken the pressure off my BG and allowed them to prosper. I am anxious to start cathching bass again to see if they have increased in size. My wife loves having those tilapia, therefore we will always try to have them in Zephyr Pond

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Let me do a better job of communicating my thoughts.
I like what Meadowlark is doing.
Here's my point.
Let's say year one in our pond...there are 50 pounds of bass, grown and supported by a cumulative total of 300-400 pounds of forage fish.
Year two...bass grow 50% in total volume (not necessarily considering individual numbers) Now we have 75 pounds of bass, assuming the same volume of forage fish production as last year.
Year three, 300-400 more pounds of forage fish to support, maintain and grow 75 pounds of bass into the next level. Assume they grow to 100 pounds.
Year four, relative weights are still high, bass are growing, but the pond has reached its maximum productivity and carrying capacity for forage fish. More and bigger bass need more and more food.
At some point, the mass of predator fish (unless they are properly harvested) has to overeat the existing food chain. If the food chain is chiefly supported by a fish which dies, those fish must be replaced.
That principle holds true whether we use tilapia, threadfin shad or Kibbles and Bits.
At some point, predator decline will occur, typically in the middle size class fish, especially with largemouth bass.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Heybud, I'm really surprised. I figured with a start of 25 lbs. of tilapia per acre plus BG, your shrinking water would generate a DO crash long before now. I can't figure out why they haven't. I've seen a couple of dead bass in one of my water holes without tilapia.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Dave, I installed an aeration system and I suppose that is what is helping keep everything going.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
At some point, the mass of predator fish (unless they are properly harvested) has to overeat the existing food chain... That principle holds true whether we use tilapia, threadfin shad or Kibbles and Bits.
Bob,

Thanks for that elaboration. I was having a hard time understanding a view that Tilapia, in this context, are any different from artificial feeding or Kibbles and bits or the use of just plain old regular BG. The Tilapia enable one to reach the point you describe much faster and when combined with a program of LMB removal, I believe one can reach a viable sustaining level of much higher biomass of predators than otherwise might be achievable.

I wish there was some data on cumulative effects of Tilapia and the resulting correlation to annual Tilapia stocking rates (declining rates after BG "saturation" is reached and algae control established through clean pond bottom)...I'd like confirmation of what I'm seeing or even refutation. My small number of ponds certainly does not represent a significant statistical sample. Nevertheless, I'm pressing on with the hypothesis that a declining stocking rate of Tilapia after BG "saturation" and algae control will not adversely effect the pond.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ML :

You have the most important scientific facts that matter. Actual results on your ponds. \:\)

Bob and ML:

Thanks from me for an outstanding topic. Between ML's and Bob's posts yall have provided and outstanding short course on pond fish management even if that was not the intended result. I SUGGEST THAT READERS VIEW THIS THREAD IN THE BIGGER PICTURE AND NOT JUST ABOUT TILAPIA AS A PREY SOURCE.You have covered the mgt. and balance of fish in the pond from stocking to death (removal). Their are hundreds if not thousands of studies as well as textbooks that scientifically show/prove these concepts with all types of fish. I will check to see if I can find exactly what you are looking for.

There is little doubt that what has been described will work well if balance is kept , that is the key. The right # and sizes of the right type (prey & predator [not talking about BG vs. tilapia or LMB vs. CC or HSB]) fish for the carrying capacity of a given pond. Throw in good water quality and watch the magic work.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I am a Tilapia fan thx to ML and I have to confirm that I have seen a lot more BG since adding the Tilapia. I am only stocking when I have an FA problem and I was not sure if I had survival this year since it never got very cold, but the BG are still much better now than before and no FA problems. I stocked the Tilapia and no FA problems in three different stock tanks (ponds). My only problem is that I can't catch them, see them, hear them, or know if they are even still there. We throw cast nets but no Tilapia show up and I never see small fry along the banks. I will restock next year and think they have really helped.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
casca, mine come to pellets like crazy. You might try throwing some out and then net them.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I will be seining my pond on Sunday and hopefully will have some more insight on the effects of tilapia this year.

As far as catching them, I may have found the silver bullet for those who also feed pellets.

I took a couple of handfulls of feed that I pulverized with a mallet, added 1 egg, 1/4 cup of flour and then mashed while adding a small amount of water to make a thick tacky dough bait, play-doh consistency. I put a 3/8" ball on a small hook, no weight, no bobber and just cast it out. Doesn't float but works like a charm.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Sweet!! and if you have any left over you can feed the pesky in laws or neighbors that always seem to drop in around supper time fried tilapia and "Hush Puppies"

A little snow, Please!
P
P
I caught 25 6 - 10" tilapia on tiny piece of night crawler and perch hook in one hour yesterday. Mine are extra aggressive with no real predators in the pond yet.

Please no more rain for a month! :|
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm gonna have to try those feed balls, Ryan.

-S. M. Stirling
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We just moved in to the pond house so everything is new and exciting. The regular pond rat kids are over and the barbecue is cooking chicken just as I like it, when one of the rats says I want to eat fish. No problem, I says, lazy, we don't have any bait. No problem they reply in unison we have shrimp, now this is my secret bait unknown to anyone, how the heck did they figure that out. Ok, ok, I get a pole and bait up. Shrimp sinks so I have to get it in the right place and work fast or the bamboo will get me. The first cast is too short, not really a cast an underhand swing with the spinning reel bail open, so I pull the bait up and add line and toss again, perfect, I see the tilapia's back as it swims towards the bait, watch the line tighten as he takes it and with a slight tug set the hook, one of the rats gets the net and dinner. I just got a new digital scale, lo and behold a new pond record. 5 pounds 2 oz. this must be from the original stocking, only 2 ozs less than the pacu. Ah life is good.
-----------------------------------------
I will admit, I do occasionally glance at the pictures.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Well how do they (you) prepare tilapia for pond rats in exotic Chumpon , Thailand ? Any hints on far away spices or methods or just fill-it and grill-it. \:D

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by PondsForFun:
I caught 25 6 - 10" tilapia on tiny piece of night crawler and perch hook in one hour yesterday. Mine are extra aggressive with no real predators in the pond yet.
PFF,

When/if you eat those critters, I'd like to hear what you think of their table value...they are tough to clean, but James has suggested an electric fillet knife and I'll try that next month when I go after the Tilapia in earnest.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
ewest,
Much the same as every where else, scale it, slice it diagonally, salt it and sear it. They put it a little closer to the coals than I would. Looks bad, but tastes good.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I found on Saturday that a coffee grinder makes an excellent mill for grinding up the pellets.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM