Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, Justin W, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 757 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 45 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 44 45
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Brettski the place looks FANTASTIC, it's really something to be proud of.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
nice b'ski...

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Congrats on getting the outside done. It looks great.

I don't think you will regret the gutters. It'll make the outside of the place last longer. But, since the facia isn't vertical to the ground, I'll be interested in seeing how you attach them to the "house".

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ok, Brettski. Time for me to come out of hiding again. The place looks fantastic! I'm amazed with the planning and workmanship. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks guys. It's been a tough summer, and there's still a long way to go.
-
-
...looks kinda lonely, dontcha think? I'm gonna need some help filling in the spot to the left. Grab the hammers and saws.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We can have us a good ole' fashioned Amish barn raising. Though none of us will be Amish, we'll be drinking lots of beer, and it'll be a house instead of a barn. But other than that, we'll have us a good ole' fashioned Amish barn raising! grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Anytime you need a hand just give me a shout.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Thanks guys. It's been a tough summer, and there's still a long way to go.
-
-
...looks kinda lonely, dontcha think? I'm gonna need some help filling in the spot to the left. Grab the hammers and saws.

I think you need to get the inside in working shape first. Then we can all have a PB party and inspection !!! laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
just a little bit more detail...
-
The transition from the gable soffits to the eave soffits is always a nip-n-tuck detail. If I did this stuff for a living, it would'a been cake. Instead, it took a small amount of trial and error, but ultimately came together.
The two stretches of eave soffits are 48' each. I couldn't see the forest for the trees and nearly made a substantial over-engineered deal out of it. While I was wrestling with it, I had a WTF moment and hit the brakes. I went and purchased the appropriate trim and it came together quite readily.
-

-
the real good news? The exterior is totally corked up, done, finito. The only remaining player outside will be the gutters.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That detail work is outstanding!!!!! What will be first inside ?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
What will be first inside ?

Partition walls and rough electric. I need to get my electric inspection outta the way so I can move toward insulating.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My mind is in the gutter….I need some help.
The next project is gutters. Since there is no fascia board on this type of roof (the lower roof is the subject), it adds a twist to the fastening method. After mucho googlin’ around, I find that the only “normal practice” option of attachment is aluminum straps that attach to the roof decking directly above and the gutters hang from the ends of the straps. Sorry, but no; can’t and won’t do it. So, I am going to use a method that I have already used before that is a bit more labor intensive, but has yielded good results. . If anybody is “gutter-wise” and is aware of a simple tried-and-true attachment method (that does not include gaudy straps that have to be screwed thru the roof), please share it with me.
So….
Barring further brainstorms from my peer group, let’s just assume that I have that aspect corralled and move on to the main subject. Here is a shot of the eave line and gutteral focus (remember; only the lower roof).

The overall length of the eave is 48’. I don’t mind the idea of a nice white gutter running the length. Considering the color scheme we are working with, it should look fine. My concern is for the downspouts and how they can/will detract from the siding install that we just completed.
I should mention that I am going to be using a vinyl gutter system that Menards distributes: K Snap gutter systems

A gutter run at 48 feet will require at least 2 downspouts. I considered placing them at the center of the run (side by side), but nixed it as looking too awkward. Maybe my “vision” is askew, but I think that in the end, if handled correctly, the standard “downspouts at the corners of the house” look will come off best.
So….
Unless somebody can convince me otherwise, let’s assume that the downspouts will run down right at the corner, attached to the chocolate brown corner trim.
This is where my real query comes in.
I can get this stuff at the store, in stock, as white or brown. The brown, ironically, is very close to our siding trim color (i.e.; the corner trim). I’m thinking that I should consider making the gutters white and the downspouts brown. Purely from a color standpoint, this makes sense. From an “aesthetic appeal” standpoint, I’m not sure. What say you, PB forum?

edit: or, do I go with all brown...???

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski:

My initial thoughts were white downspouts. But, the more that I think about it, the brown might be O.K. What about getting a stick of each holding it up to the building and Donnaski give it her expert eye?

I have used the vinyl gutters from Menards before. The first year they were fine, but as time went on, they became more and more bowed where the fastners weren't. They also started to leak at the joints during the freeze thaw cycles. I hate gutters with icecicles hanging down.

Personal taste? I'm going to pay the $$ and have seamless aluminum installed. I won't use the plastic snap together gutter again.

I'm interested in how you are going to hang the gutters. Right now my facia is at a 90° to the roof, not vertical to the ground. Soffit isn't installed yet. I was going to re-do the facia so it was vertical to the ground. Without hijacking the thread, can you pm me your thoughts on how to hang the gutters without roof straps?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Don't use vinyl.. You can find contractors (around here anyways) that do seamless guttering for next to nothing. I search everywhere when I built my house for the cheapest and most reputable contractor and I think I paid a little under $2.00 a foot. My whole house cost like 6-$700 with downspouts. As far as attaching I'm not sure but they have to make some kind of L-bracket that attaches underneath and cradles the gutter.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Match what you have (brown and white) so you don't see them.

My concern is that with that roof angle the gutter will not support the runoff.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Some kind of bracket similar to these. Just an idea

http://kobettmetals.com/Euracraft%20Half%20Round%20Gutter.html

Type in hidden gutter brackets in a web search for ideas

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 09/29/10 09:14 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Match what you have (brown and white) so you don't see them.

My concern is that with that roof angle the gutter will not support the runoff.

Also with seamless you can get different widths and gauges to handle load..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Looking good!

Lunker
Lunker
At first I thought brown then after hearing about the problems with vinyl I changed my mind to white but I wouldn't attach the downspout over the trim but right next to it, similar to this picture:

Picture came from here: http://www.lewisseamlessgutter.com/commercial.html and on that page, below the laundromat, there is another mansard roof. "Instead of installing wooden fascia boards, we bent out .032 gauge aluminum and made an aluminum fascia to back the gutter."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
This is just me but I would go one color. Matching 2 colors up is going to look like you ran out of one color and just used what you could find. Go white or go brown, but all the same.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
stealing this pic from a previous post to help "visualize" the color thing

I think, without a doubt, that the line of the white gutter along the lower roof edge will add a missing facet to complete the look. I'm still having issues with the white feature running down the siding at the corner.

Lunker
Lunker
Maybe some with photoshop can draw some gutters in the above picture for you in both colors. I don't have a program to do that anymore but it was useful to me for deciding trim and such for my barn. I think the white will look ok, you'll get used to the downspouts and you won't notice them after a while.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh hey Bski I get now why you want white on that edge. Your right it would give it a more finshed look for sure. I don't know bud. Maybe Eric has a point with the brown going down now that I look at it. I am sure if you did 2 colors you would make it look GREAT and like it was suppose to be that way. Everything you have done to that place looks awesome. I would hate for you to do gutters and then not like it with all the hard work you have in it.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The other issue, and this is significant, is the problems created by sliding snow and ice. The roof slope on that section is 27/12. To set the gutters at a point low enough to be below the plane of the roof would drop them WAY too far. So, I am going to either consider snow jacks on the roof or take my chances and see how things go. Right now, I am going with option #2.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I vote for brown downspouts and white gutters. I've seen white gutters with copper Downspouts and it looks nice, so the two tone can work.

You may want to consider those snow jacks, though. That is a steep pitch and you would hate to have some ice slide off and damage a car parked on the apron, or worse yet, fall on someone as they walk out the door.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
Page 22 of 45 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images