Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,970
Posts558,046
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bobbss, Kanon M, Fishingadventure, Snipe, TanyaClick, Boondoggle), 516 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Lets start it off with a bang and some bling.

Went out goose hunting this morning. Four of us went and we ended up getting 5 geese and as you can see 3 of them were banded. One the the guys shot both of the bands on top. The pair came off to the right where I would have been sitting if I hadn't of gone back to the boat ramp to pick up some stuff.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great! What's the different colored bands? Different years or areas?

I was out this morning at another PB'ers place waiting for geese to fly over. We say a few flocks pass about 1/2 mile to the West, and after another 45 minutes, we gave up and started fishing the pond. We saw shadows on the ground, looked up and saw about 30 geese flying away. mad If my buddy would have had his cell phone, a friend of his that was hunting with us called him and said that there were geese flying our way. cry cry mad

Tomorrow we'll wait a while longer before goofing off!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
The dark one is just tarnished. Went again this morning. We only shot 3 but they were all banded.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Did you take that young lady with you?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Chris,

I'm curious about several things. When I was younger, I shot a fair number of geese, but it was always in very cold weather.

What do you do with these geese? How do you handle them in the warm weather? Even with partridge and pheasant when it is in the 50's, I try to get them back to the truck, and under ice, within 30 minutes.

I find that few people, even me, are not very enthused with wild goose meat. What do you do with the meat.

This is not to put you on the spot. I'm not from PETA. I'm just curious.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Uh oh...

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Young Blood, you've got a glove mark on your cheek.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Uh oh...

Sounds like a challenge to me.

Young Blood, you've got a glove mark on your cheek.

Oh - I was afraid it might come across like that. But, I just don't mean it that way at all.

Even with our "cold spell" up here, we are still in the 80s each day. I can only imagine it is 10 to 20 degrees hotter where Young Blood is.

Having been hunting and eating my my "spoils" for a long time, I'm just curious how people in warmer climates deal with fresh game in hot weather.

Just for the record -- after all these years, I still have trouble hunting deer in the Virginias after growing up in MN and WI where we always had cold weather and snow to hunt in. It is a whole 'nother way of doing things around here, from tracking, to field dressing, to transporting, to butchering.

So -- Sunil and Young Blood, no challenge intended. No challenge expected. A boring answer will do!

Ken

P.S. Maybe I will extract a pound of two of flesh (goose, or other game), if you have some prepared for the next PB conference.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Ken,

We took an ice chest with us and put the geese in it. When I got back I put the meat in a large bowl and filled it with water and a little bit of salt to draw out some of the blood. I left it in the water for a day.

I cooked some up for dinner this evening. I took one breast and cut it into 1/2" strips and then tenderized it. I chicken fried it and it turned out pretty good. It was still a little chewy but not bad.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman
I cooked some up for dinner this evening. I took one breast and cut it into 1/2" strips and then tenderized it. I chicken fried it and it turned out pretty good. It was still a little chewy but not bad.

Thanks Chris,

It sounds like you fix goose about the same as me. After brining in a salt/sugar/garlic/pepper solution, I've cooked the breast in a pressure cooker to tenderize it before cutting, battering, and frying. It makes it a little more tender, and a whole lot less greasy.

I've found that the best part of a good wild goose dinner is the family and friends around the table. A few home-grown tomatoes, a few cucumbers, some fresh baked cornbread, and a few bluegill and catfish sure can add to the dinner.

Thanks for sharing,
Ken

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I was just kidding about the gauntlet being thrown.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I was just kidding about the gauntlet being thrown.

Oh sure! shocked

You say that now, as both parties have seen through the obvious baiting! blush

Have you thought about running for the Senate or a House seat? crazy

wink grin grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When antelope hunting, temps would hit in the low 90's. We'd have a cooler full of ice in the truck, and as soon as it was field dressed and in the truck, we'd fill up the body cavity with as much ice as we could. It was the only way to get the antelope cooled down quick enough.

Speaking of such, have you tried it yet Ken?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Goose jerky... Only way I can eat it. That or I freeze it, then feed it to the dog. She doesn't complain one bit.

Lunker
Lunker
On my way back from Saskatchewan hunting white geese for the last week. Managed to shoot 145 geese and 20 ducks. We where about 300 miles north of the US borber and still not many white geese down. There was three of us and we never limited out but had good hunts in the high 20s and low 30s and a bad day of only 4. A slide show for the week is at http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/lassig/sk2010/?albumview=slideshow

Lunker
Lunker
While I was getting ready for a tree delivery on Friday morning, my buddy went out to bow hunt. 5 Minutes after legal shooting time he bagged this buck.

I should of been hunting enstead of playing with the trackor.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: lassig
On my way back from Saskatchewan hunting white geese for the last week. Managed to shoot 145 geese and 20 ducks. We where about 300 miles north of the US borber and still not many white geese down. There was three of us and we never limited out but had good hunts in the high 20s and low 30s and a bad day of only 4. A slide show for the week is at http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/lassig/sk2010/?albumview=slideshow

Nice! What gun/load were you using? Your buddy shot a unique antlered deer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Nice buck!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow! That thing's a hog!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Lunker
Lunker
Buck was shot at less than 10 yards (if you ignore that the stand is 25 feet in the air) with 100 grain Muzzy. Actually it was a forunate miss and he hit it forward in the spine. Deer dropped in its tracks. Haven't put a tape to it yet but expected it to be in the high 130s/low 140s.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

Nice! What gun/load were you using? Your buddy shot a unique antlered deer.

We where shooting 12 guages with Winchester Expert 3" #2s and BBs. Majority of shots where under 30 yards. I have videos of the hunts on youtube under my user name of marklassig

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Buck was shot at less than 10 yards (if you ignore that the stand is 25 feet in the air) with 100 grain Muzzy. Actually it was a forunate miss and he hit it forward in the spine. Deer dropped in its tracks. Haven't put a tape to it yet but expected it to be in the high 130s/low 140s.

130-140?? Looks like a 160 or better to me! NICE buck!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks. I'm just starting to waterfowl hunt and I'm trying to figure what to shoot. I have had plans to make a patterm board, but so far other things keep getting in the way.

It's tough figuring out a choke for it because it's an odd barrel. I bought it in the mid 1990's for shooting clay birds, but went a different direction. (that's the short version)

It's a Stan Baker Big Bore Barrel, basically an overbored (.025") 10 ga barrel but chambered for 12 ga shells. It's used on a 3" Rem 1100. The Mossberg 835 barrel is .775" and this one is .800. Briley wants $75 per choke tube and a month turn around time. Friends have used those shells but said they had inconsistent velocities when used in extremely cold weather.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

130-140?? Looks like a 160 or better to me! NICE buck!

I appplied some of Bruce's photo techniques to taking picutres of this buck. I plan on measuring it this weekend and will post an update. We couldn't find the tape measure last weekend.

Lunker
Lunker
Scott,

I don't use the Winchester Experts later in the season. With the geese having more fat in late December and Janurary I switch over to heavey steel in BB and BBB. This brings them down and the stay down. Early in the season I ues a IC choke and later on I may change to Mod.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks. I got a phone call this a.m. saying my choke tube is done ( a friend of a friend is a machinist and he opened up one of them to IC). I'll pattern it next week.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 04/29/24 10:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food