Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, shores41), 1,178 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
And their last names are tenderloin, backstrap, jerky, round steak, summer sausage, jalapeno with cheese deer stick, Hunter cheese deer stick, sirloin and fillet.

The deer Season is not too far away!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
October 1st starts the Indiana deer bow season and I can hardly wait. I bought a new bow and have tripled my range. I thought that my shooting had just gotten that bad, but with the new bow, I am driving tacks. What a difference 12 years has made in the technology of bows! The new bow was sinfully expensive, but it sure is accurate and really quiet. I did finally break down and switch from fingers to a release which probably contributes to the improvement. I am hoping to best my 148 from 2008 (taken at 5 yards).

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: esshup
CJ, there's supposed to be new software (downloadable) for the PlotWatcher that doubles the battery life.

Greg mentioned that to me when I bought the camera. I will have to look into it and see if I can download the update. Would be nice to extend battery life as that seems to be one of the cameras largest drawbacks... I haven't decided yet if I am going to hang it watching my food plot in PA or looking over a soybean field I have permission to hunt in VA.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
CJ, I also read the test/review on Chansingame. They said another weak point is the minimal overhang over the lens. In a rainstorm, the lens gets water on it and blurs the picture. They suggested putting some sort of a roof over the top of the rangefinder to help protect the lens from rain.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am pondering hanging it from our shoot house on the edge of our food plot... I figure maybe from an elevated height, the pictures will be that much better and as a bonus, the overhang on the shoot house roof will protect it. Thanks for the hint...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
http://www.day6outdoors.com/content/plotwatcher_tlv/firmware.php
This is the update you need. I got 8 days this last time with 5 hour midday delay and 10 sec setting.

Scott is right abtout he little roof- I have yet to make one. Great deer names

Nate you got the PW out yet? Love to see a video of Mr.T cruisign through the plot.

Jhap glad you got the bushnell cams since they have long battery life.

We are only 12 days away from GA opener. I gettign otu to my cams this week, fingers crossed.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Jhap glad you got the bushnell cams since they have long battery life.

Me too. I'm stoked with the quality of DIED's photos from the Bushnell. I'm hope to have some good ones on our cameras as well.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I can't wait to see some of your pics JHAP, maybe I missed it but when do you think you'll get back to retrieve your photos?

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That shoot house looks pretty stinkin sweet!

JHAP, hopefully you checked your camera positions after installing them. Sometimes people that set em up for the first time get lots of pictures of grass, limbs, etc that blow in the wind.....

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
what purpose is that shooting house, you can't get a bow shot out of it. smile

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Perfectly comfortable for my 86 year old grandfather and my 58 year old dad! HAHA I have a hang on that I bow hunt out of on the opposite corner of the shoot house. That shoot house is livin' in luxury though. I spent opening day of rifle season up there last year sitting with my grandfather. He slept most of the time! HAHA

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
what purpose is that shooting house, you can't get a bow shot out of it. smile

What do you mean? I think I could shoot a crossbow perfectly well out of it! wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I can't wait to see some of your pics JHAP, maybe I missed it but when do you think you'll get back to retrieve your photos?

As soon as possible. For obvious reasons I don't post when I will and will not be at the property since the theft occurred.

Originally Posted By: n8ly
JHAP, hopefully you checked your camera positions after installing them. Sometimes people that set em up for the first time get lots of pictures of grass, limbs, etc that blow in the wind.....

This will undoubtly be the case. Although I trimmed tree limbs in the trees in which the cameras were installed there is no way that I can eliminate all of the limbs and of course grass that could trigger the cameras. Keep in mind the primary purpose of my cameras is for security. Therefore I had to mount them above normal game height (otherwise anyone could steal the camera) and have them pointing downward. Much of my property is heavly forrested and there is simply no way that I could eliminate false triggering of the camera. I'm fairly sure that I will have thousands of photos of branches and grass movement but using a lap top we'll be able to screen photos fairly quickly.

Mostly this is going to be a test of the sucessfulness of the security measures implimented on my property. I have multiple parties randomly stopping in at my place now and hopefully between the cameras and ramdom property patrols I have sent a message to others. Only time will tell.

As and also and besides I have learned an imense amount about rural theft prevention. I found out that there has been a sharp increase in theft in agricultural communities. The prime theft targets are agricultural equipment, metal, chemicals, even crops. Many state Ag departments are working with Sheriff departments to create programs designed to thwart Ag theft.

There is now a nationwide program (established by the FBI and supported by many Sheriff departments) to use an identification number that is applied by the property owner (referred to as an "owner applied number" or O.A.N.) that is recorded in the National Crime Information Center database which can be accessed by various law enforcement agencies. This number allows law enforcement agencies to pinpoint the property owner within any state and county in the U.S. Using this number if your property is stolen in California and is taken to Nevada to be sold a Sheriffs department in Nevada could identify the California property owner.

For anyone that has any significant amount of equipment on their property I highly recommend this procedure. There are tire branding devices and permanent ink stamps available to mark equipment. Also available are warning signs that state "Warning Farm Watch Program in Force, Farm Items Marked for Identification by the Sheriffs Dept." and the good news is that there is no requirement to have an active farm, you only need to own property in a rural area.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thanks Jeff for the info but too late for me. I had everything stolen from KY cabin. I mean even used utensils. The sad part was taking of my deer heads, some of my best bowkills. THe kicker was stealing my dad's heads. His biggest buck and first buck are now gone. They were some of my proudest possesions. That still makes my blood boil and want to do you know what to the theif if ever caught. That of course will never happen when you lose less than $5k in value they fill out paper and that is where the investigation stops.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well the info was too late for me as well. Theft in a rural area never occurred to me until I became a victim. Now I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I have found that a majority of the theft and trespassing on properties with absentee land owners is usually the local boys who grew up hunting and fishing those properties. not always the case, but they seem to cause the most problems.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nate as edited --I have found that a majority of the theft and trespassing on properties with absentee land owners is usually the local boys
Click to reveal..
outlaws
who grew up hunting and fishing those properties. not always the case, but they seem to cause the most problems
Click to reveal..
crime

shocked -- shocked -- mad

Last edited by ewest; 08/31/10 04:38 PM.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Around here most of the trespassing is as ewest described. But most of the theft is meth and other drug related. (Small town, not much to do).

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Technology these days.... I will admit that is a cool feature I havent seen yet. Definitely when I wrote local boys I meant older people....

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
They also make LoJack for things other than cars... If you have expensive farm equipment, something to consider. JHAP's point about OAN's is very smart... I have solved several crimes because of OAN's I was able to find and trace back to the owner through NCIC.

Knock on wood, our hunting cabin has yet to be broken into. I am just waiting for that day though. We have had treestands and game cameras stolen and all kinds of destruction done to our land in the past. Most of the locals know I don't mess around and know where they live, but they don't know where I live. Gives me an unfair advantage! Plus, my father and I have always treated them with respect unlike some of the wealthy land owners in the area who shun them because they're just "poor country folk".

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
that sucks greg, i have been through similar.....

on a happier note, check out the deer bath..........

GSF are people too!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
laugh laugh laugh

Great photo Dave!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

n8ly Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I can't wait to see the crazy things on your cams jeff!
Dave, the deer pic is awesome!!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: n8ly
I can't wait to see the crazy things on your cams jeff!

Me too!

You are are just lucky I'm not video taping. Who knows what I'd catch on camera...

Exclusive Breaking News...JHAP's security camera video footage.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
how long did it take you to see the third deer?

GSF are people too!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?