Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,697
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, Snipe, anthropic, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 536 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
yoli Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Y
About 4 years ago stocked my 1/2 acre pond with fathead minnows and 400 5 inch blue gill . Last year added twenty five 5 to 8 inch LMB.
There were plenty of frogs in the pond when I bought it five years ago. This year they're gone.
Last year I was catching the BG and LMB using regular fish pellets for bait. Would just push them on to the hook and cast out a few feet and bingo they would all rush to see who could get hooked the quickest.

This year the pond water is up about 3 feet and have not caught one bass and only 2 BG. I have caught about 150 or so very small bass (about 3 inches) and a few equally small BG.

Have been using all types of worm type baits as well as fly's rapellas, shad raps, jigs with twister tails etc but no luck. Can't see the in the water either. Have not seen any fatheads either.

Pond is about 3/4 acre and now maybe 8 ft deep.

Wonder where they all went ? Any ideas ?

Additionally concerned there are too many of those small bass.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yoli,

That is disturbing. Is there a chance that you had a die-off over the winter? If your ice was completely covered with snow for several weeks, the small ones might have had enough oxygen to survive, but the bigger ones didn't. If it happened several weeks before ice-out, the carcasses might not have floated up.

Just a guess.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Y
yoli Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Y
Ken
Well i ran the aerator in shallow water through the winter and it kept a nice open area on the water, the past winter was not that bad. Your idea, thought, did cross my mind but have never seen a dead fish in the pond.

I guess I'll just keep pluggin along.

Thanks for your comment

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Odd - you have to many small LMB but can't catch any. They are usually starving and will bite anything.

Y
yoli Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Y
No, as I said have caught about 150 small bass and a few small blue gill its just the larger ones that have been avoiding the bait.

I have concluded there are 3 possibilities.
1. as pointed out by Ken
2. I was poached out
3. the larger bass are stuffed from eating all the fatheads and small bluegills so my bait is weak.

Next time up there going to try some golden shiners or small blue gills for bait

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
You will almost always catch a small bass before a large one if they are in the same area. Small bass will bite without even thinking about it. While larger bass are not going to be so quick to bite. You may have to go to a larger bait. Crank a buzz bait or a large zoom super fluke. That may do it. This time of year is not the best either. The last 2 years I have noticed a big decline in my fish biting this time of year. Of course it's a lot hotter here then in WIS. I imagine. If we don't get any rain soon I may be able to work on my dam and not even drain my pond!!! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Y
yoli Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Y
Thanks for that information about the larger bait
Last time up there i tried using large fat heads but the small bass basically killed them, they couldn't swallow the fat heads but they tried and the trying scared the fatheads to death. Also caught some real small bluegill and tried them as bait but no luck.
I'll give your suggestion on the larger lures a try.

The pond is thick now with small bass and blue gill so I've been catching them with small red worms and taking some to nearby ponds etc. You can catch 25 fish with the same worm before it shreds away. Afraid there are still way too many. I should have put 12 bass in the pond rather than the 25 as it seems the 25 have created 25,000 small bass and now for some reason after 5 years the blue gill population also has increased dramatically.

Over 10 inches of rain this month whereas last summer probably had 8inches in total.

C
C
the bass could be stunted at the small size

north mississippi 3 acre, 1.5 acre, 1.2 acre, .75 acre, .3 acre, two .25 acre
A
A
Yoli,

My guess would be the larger bass simply aren't hungry. If you have the amount of forage in their your saying they are probably feeding non-stop at will all the time, not having to move more than 10-15 feet to fill their gullets.

We also have a 1/2 acre pond and our total stocking numbers between all species was less than 100 fish. Our bluegill spawned this year for the first time and fishing took a dump for the most part. we can go down around 8-8:30 at night and the surface lights up like a hurricane coming through, the larger fish simply have no interest in anything other than YOY ..

I agree with RC though, bigger bait = bigger fish. I would try the larger bait and go with something as loud and annoying as possible to peak their interest.

Another option is try to find a friend or neighbor with a fish finder and go out marking them, if they are there they can be marked.

1/2 acre 14' Deep. LMB, WE, YP, HBG, BG, Rainbows.
Y
yoli Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Y
Attica
They're not hungry and or the smaller fish are simply too quick in getting to my baited hooks.

Just updating. Only go up to the pond once a month. Just returned from August visit and geez the mosquitoes are the worst they ever been and very few Dragonflies. Normally there are an abundance of dragonflies and few mosquitoes.
As for the fish I continued to catch numerous smaller bluegill and bass and relocated about another 25 or so to nearby river.

There was a difference this trip in that I did catch 3 of the larger bass (shad rap type lure) from last years stocking. They really had not gained much weight. Maybe I caught the smallest of that batch but had been thinking the bass were feasting on the small blue gill and these guys had not been to any feasts.
Furthermore I caught 2 very large blue gill. Thought they were small mouth as the prior owner once told me she had put 2 small mouth in the pond. They seemed too big. All the other blue gill were very small, smaller than the ones I had stocked 4 years ago. The large blue gill were returned to the pond and made me wonder what they had been eating.

Water levels remain a good 2 or 3 feet over what they were last year.

I think you were wise with the 100 fish even though your pond is deeper than mine and probably could support more. I went with the recommendation of the place i bought the fish and then reduced what they suggested.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?