Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230941 08/14/10 09:58 AM
G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The heat killed them eh? Sounds like an oversimplification but hey what do you expect from the media?

Doesn't look like all the fish died to me. Additionally some of the larger fish don't look like they were in good condition in the first place. Large eyes and scrawny bodies.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
"warm oxygenated water on top, cold oxygenated water on the bottom. The pond turned over and that sucked all the oxygen out of the water."

"As soon as we can we will restock the fish."

Now THAT'S who I want to manage my pond!! confused

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
"warm oxygenated water on top, cold oxygenated water on the bottom. The pond turned over and that sucked all the oxygen out of the water."

"As soon as we can we will restock the fish."

Now THAT'S who I want to manage my pond!! confused

That doesn't sound good Scot, but in all fairness we don't know how accurate the media is quoting the source.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I drove by this pond today and most of the fish had bulging eyes and were bloated from being in the water for a week.

Most of the dead fish were bluegill and warmouth sunfish with a few bass and carp.

A big problem with this pond is it has gotten overtaken with invasive aquatic vegitation.

I don't think the city of Asheville has the budget to manage this pond. All the fish in the pond must have been stocked before the city ever bought the property.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I used to work for a company in Weaverville right down the road from Asheville. Summer temps there were consistantly warm, I can't imagine cold water anywhere near there, oxygenated or not.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

That doesn't sound good Scot, but in all fairness we don't know how accurate the media is quoting the source.

Cecil, that was the comments that the person made that was in the video. Now this is only an assumption, but I would think that if it was a reporter in the video they would have said " the city said they will restock as soon as possible" or something like that. That's why I assumed that the person talking had some control over the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Cecil, that was the comments that the person made that was in the video. Now this is only an assumption, but I would think that if it was a reporter in the video they would have said " the city said they will restock as soon as possible" or something like that. That's why I assumed that the person talking had some control over the pond.

Makes sense to me. My bad I didn't bother to watch the video as I usually get upset when the media is reporting on something I am fairly well versed in. 99 percent of the time they get it all wrong especially if it has anything to do with science.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Gambusia
I drove by this pond today and most of the fish had bulging eyes and were bloated from being in the water for a week.....
A big problem with this pond is it has gotten overtaken with invasive aquatic vegitation.
I don't think the city of Asheville has the budget to manage this pond.

Maybe the City doesn't have the budget to properly "manage" the pond, but might possibly have enough funds to conduct an ill-advised/overly-aggressive weed-treatment; the result of which may have crashed the DO. ??
Just call me a conspiracy theorist.
I could detect what appeared to be algae-remnants on the surface, but nothing indicated a serious weed problem - at least not at the time the news-video was shot.
So-called pond "turn-overs", in my experience and understanding, generally occur in response to acute meteorological events - and are not "triggered" simply by the sustained presence of hot/sunny days.
But, if excessive weed populations were present - then abruptly died (were killed) in mass - their absence could rapidly cause an imbalance in the pond's DO "bank account", not to mention a huge spike in BOD prompted by decomposing plant-biomass.
Assuming the lack of an abrupt weather-change, and since the smaller fish apparently died in unison with the larger fish, and due to the implausible and rudimentarily inaccurate on-screen explanation, I'm guessing there's more to the story than what was reported.
Nah! That could NEVER happen here!! Right???

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I have never heard of a pond naturally turning over (destratifying) in summer in the south absent a cold rain (cloudy conditions). There is something else going on here as Kelly noted. Note that it went from normal to black /brown/red then to a dense green plankton bloom all in a day or two . Cooling water does not result in death then a bloom like that in 2 days. It takes a couple weeks for the cool water plankton to get going.

Last edited by ewest; 08/16/10 01:17 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Gentlemen those are my thoughts exactly.

Lunker
Lunker
I suspect that Mr. Simmons is in CYA-mode. The pond is located in the city's dog park. Although a theoretical weed-treatment would pose no likely issues to pets, can you imagine the public's response to a fish-kill following the treatment of the pond from which their pets drank? It would be FAR easier to dispell pet-owners' concerns with the "turn-over" story. Just saying....
Also noted in the news-clip was one random bystander's response: "they explained how it works and it makes sense". Nice touch!!! wink He looks and sounds educated.
Caveat emptor!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Kelly, that's my take on it as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I visited the pond since the kill since I sometimes fish there.

Still full of weeds and I really mean I don't think the city bothers with the pond except to mow parts of the shoreline.

A big problem used to be Canada geese but they seem to be gone.

The water seemed clear in parts but full of scum and algae.

It has always had algae problems in the summer since the city took it over in 2004 and why I rarely fished it from June-Sept

Still no word on if it was a summer kill or not

Last edited by Gambusia; 08/17/10 12:40 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails