Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,765
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dieselscout80), 622 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lunker
Lunker
esshup - it greatly depends on the quality of the diluent (water) that you used in the spray-tank.
"Clean water" (no suspended colloids or excessive microbial organisms) will usually allow the "in-tank" glyphosate mixture to retain its nominal level of activity for several days, and possibly weeks. Otherwise, glyphosate will either bond with clay particles and/or suffer microbial degradation at varying rates & levels.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Based on what I understand, Kelly is right on the money. The key is water quality and being sure it can be resuspended/resulubilized if it fell out of solution. However, I would be inclined to spray it out (so it is not dumped in one spot) and use a fresh tank, unless you have time for a respray after you see what it does.

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/glyphos.pdf

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
Here's a question for the masses.

If I have a glyphosate solution in a semi-transparent white contaner (mixed for application) and if it isn't applied directly after it's mixed, how long will it stay active, and will it retain it's potency?

My JD 345 has some motor issues, and the 25 gallon tow-behind sprayer is full. It's been on the trailer in the sun and heat for the past 2 days, and with the rain forecast for tomorrow, I don't know if I'll get it applied tomorrow either. If not, I'm shooting for Sunday.

Thoughts?
Whoa! Now this is serious. esshup, what's wrong with the engine on your 345?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks guys. The water was potable water from a well, so I believe the water quality is O.K.

Sparkplug, I believe it has something to do with the governor. I had the tractor running at about 1/4 throttle, moving very slow (ground speed) while hand spraying. All of a sudden the RPM jumped to higher than it's highest setting, and when I throttled it down as low as it would go, it still seemed like the RPM was higher than when set on high.

FD590V motor. 18 hp 845 hours on it. The plastic cam gear was replaced at 700 hrs with a steel one. I thought my technical service manual covered this motor, but it doesn't. cry

Hopefully I can figure out what's wrong without taking it in to JD because they are backed up about 3 weeks. I hope that I don't have to pull the motor.........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
eeshup, just go to the store a look at the headcheese. That should be enough to send you out of the store empty handed.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
esshup, I was service manager for a JD lawn and garden dealership for years before I opened my own shop. I am quite familiar with the 590 used on your tractor, as well as the 611 used on later model 345's. As you probably know, verify that the linkage to the throttle shaft is still hooked up, also check to see if the throttle plate inside the carb is still attached to the shaft... I've seen them fall off and be drawn into the engine. I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you need some long-distance help, let me know. I have all the JD service manuals... going to a family reunion in a few minutes, I'll check in later.

Tony

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony:

PM is being sent.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sunil:

Have you had your breakfast already? grin

The headcheese that I'm familiar with has pieces of meat in it surrounded by a gelatinous tan jello. It's good sliced about 3/16" thick, slapped between two pieces of bread. Sliced thicker like that gives you some consistency in the meat pieces when you bite into the sandwich. Yum!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Postscript. Users should currently see or will soon see a price decrease in glysophate prices. Generic "full strength" glysophate can be purchased for around $10-15/gal and price is expected to go lower. Although this sometimes requires one to buy in quanity 2.5-20 gal. A gallon of full strength glysophate will make about 47 gallons of spray to kill most terrestrial 'weeds'. I would hardly call this high dollar herbicide.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/14/10 02:01 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: backabit
Yes I have a Rural King, Farm and Family, Big R, and Tractor supply. I have using aqua pro with cide kick. For a quart of aqua pro I have been paying $129.00

Post-Postscript: Someone should be arrested for theft.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Sunil
eeshup, just go to the store a look at the headcheese. That should be enough to send you out of the store empty handed.

Headcheese isn't what it use to be. I grew up on the stuff and love it. Can't get good headcheese anywhere. The best is where they slice up and cut strips out of the pigs snout. Looks like octopus suckers, and chewy, but hey, I like octopus!

People eat spiders and bugs. Not for a pile of cash would I try that.

Besides, headcheese goes with beer. You hearing me Sunil! Put a slab on a Ritz Cracker or two and soak up a barley pop! It could be a life changing experience to better eating habits!

I would like to visit Ken's someday and try the road kill menu!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thanks JKB, but I was able to resist temptation and avoid headcheese all weekend. It wasn't that hard to do.

On a side note, it's important to mention that this thread (with a PM or two) was the breaking point for Lusk in an ongoing discussion with The Pond Frog on what is and what is not acceptable conduct on the forum. Suffice it to say that Pond Frog will no longer be participating on Pond Boss. In light of this, we all have to be cognizant of the rules of conduct for participation on the forum, as well as the fact that forum participation is a privilege, and not a right. While I don't speak for Lusk, I can safely say this his tolerance level for misconduct on the forum, be it political commentary or disrespect to others, is greatly reduced.

The moderators and members are asked to be aware of violations of the forum rules. You can contact and report to a moderator if you think forum rules are being ignored. We try to run a good Forum here that respects its members while providing good sound information about management of our water resources. Thank you from all the Forum owners and moderators for being a member and obeying the rules.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/16/10 09:03 AM. Reason: Added postscript

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
It's too bad pond frog had to be banned from the forum, he did have alot of knowledge of certain areas of aquaculture, but he just didn't know when to stop beating a dead horse.

B
OP Offline
B
Wow, it seems this got a little out of hand. I agreed on the first page I would not use homemade weed killer. I just never heard of making it and was curious if it would work. I had a company from another state come and put in some grass carp( white amur )this past Spring. They seem to be feeding on the plants in the pond as I haven't had to use any treatments this year. Just using Aquashade. Got all the banks sprayed and my weeds are dead for now. I feel bad about the pond frog. He was very adamant in his dislike for salt around ponds. I like a great debate and hearing both sides. Not sure how we ended up discussing headcheese. My gramps use to eat that stuff and loved it. I was never brave enough to even try it. Could be great tasting but can't get past the looks of it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just don't look at it before you eat it! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
A
Many Many thanks for sharing this weed killer recipe with us. My friend is also dealing with weed problem. I would definitely suggest this recipe to her. I hope this homemade solution would definitely work..

links removed pending administration approval

Last edited by esshup; 07/13/12 08:44 PM. Reason: as noted above
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I remember a time when head cheese was appropriately named but I think that down here it is now made with ham hocks and other more appealing pork cuts. Manufacturers would be wise to rename it.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow just read the whole thread.. Some people just know their right no matter what huh?? I guess the PM's must of been pretty rude because I didn't think the post were all too bad.. Except the fact it went from helpful comments too an argument.. Awww the excitement of pondboss thanks for putting the excitement in my day (I know I'm boring)..

Remember guys be thankful your members on this site and it's a privilege not a right

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Even so, perhaps we should reserve a particle of admiration for anyone who has such courage of his convictions.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wow! That was something else.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow fascinating how a thread from 2010 can be resurrected.

grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/13/12 06:03 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I read that one top to bottom. Very entertaining. That guy really hates salt!

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
F
FHD Offline
F
Wow! I was simply researching how to rid the weeds around my pond and came upon this thread. Interesting conversation and amusing! However, I didn't really come away with a clear answer to my question, lol. I don't use salt much as far as cooking with or ingesting it so I don't even have a cup of salt in the house and the only vinegar I have is cider so I don't believe I will be trying out a home recipe. I do, however have Roundup. It sounds like I can use that lightly and carefully. I really love my fish and I'm nervous about harming them. I even have a baby Koi this year after having two Koi for 7 years. I assumed they were the same sex. Although, judging by the size of the baby, he had to have been around last summer in hiding.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Read the label. Roundup isn't rated for use in or near ponds if the spray will hit the water. It's not the active ingredient (glyphosate) that is the problem, it's the other ingredients that are not listed. THEY have not been tested in a pond/lake/water environment for safety.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Actually they have been tested and are not safe to some pond life.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by Boondoggle - 04/17/24 11:26 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE