Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Angler8689, Layne, anthropic), 574 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PONDNUT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I've talked to the local guy that digs ponds here in Virginia and have read and read sites on pond construction made my plans and started the process.
I hope to be digging in a natural bottom of my food plot which is almost all clay feed by three wet weather springs coming out the ground 300 yrs from the pond sight.
My problem is first I want a Largemouth Bass Pond for my boys and I to play in but the lay of the land limits the size of the pond. As it stands now it will not likely to much bigger than 8 ft deep and only 120 foot by 100 ft,just over 1/4 acre.
Am I wasting my time trying to plan a pond this size for largemouth bass?
I've been looking for years now at other farm ponds in my area and none of the really small one hold and good fishing of ant kind but none are managed in any way. They were for the tobacco fields before the buyout.
I am able to makethe pond a little wider and a little longer than my first plan if I need but it won't get it close to 1/2 acre.
According to the locals I won't be able to go any deeper because of the rock bed about 10 foot down I our area.

Any advice would be great. What problems will I have?

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Pondnut and welcome to Pond Boss. A limiting factor for all ponds is carrying capacity. Any body of water can only hold so many fish. I believe the general consus is that a pond can safely hold about 50 pounds of predators (LMB is considered a predator) per acre. So in a quarter acre you won't be able to have a lot of huge LMB. You can alter (increase) this ratio through the use of aeration and feeding. But hang on for expert opinions.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey, Pondnut, welcome to the forum! Jeff is right about the limited carrying capacity of ponds and the restrictions on one your size. He's also right on about doing certain things that can increase the capacity, but I am not sure how much of an increase you can reasonably expect to obtain. Definitely need some expert opinions on that point. I wouldn't personally worry too much about your depth as you'll probably have all you need with the plan. If you can make the pond bigger, that's always a positive, but the depth is less important, I believe.

Hang on for some more thoughts.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
By all means you can have a 1/4 acre bass pond just realize not going to have lots of big bass as jeff mentioend. You can still have plenty to catch. I once shocked a clients 1/4 acre pond and we shocked up 32 bass weighing 67 lbs. No way did we shock all the bass in the pond either. My point is it is doable. His lake was well stocked with bluegill and shiners, had a feeder going and aeration system.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
DD2 Offline
D
Good point Greg. The key to small ponds is food, more food and aeration. Oh yeah, there's also luck, hard work and cash.

Last edited by DD2; 08/02/10 08:19 AM.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Jeff is right about the limited carrying capacity of ponds and the restrictions on one your size. He's also right on about doing certain things that can increase the capacity, but I am not sure how much of an increase you can reasonably expect to obtain.

Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
By all means you can have a 1/4 acre bass pond just realize not going to have lots of big bass as jeff mentioend.

And that my friends brings my good post count to 37, and that ain't bad.

TJ are you paying attention here?

You need to add this to your "JHAP's Words of Wisdom" file.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
P
PONDNUT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks I'll take the line level back to the site and see if I can steal some more of my foodplot field without making the dropoff from the field to the pond too steep. I would like to keep it close w/ no steep grade and I don't want to put too much of a bottle neck in the field. We love our bowhunting. MM

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Use the pond to make the deer travel right under your stand.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
During a sampling, GG found in a 1/4 ac ""32 bass weighing 67 lbs". One very important point to his post was ""was well stocked with bluegill and shiners, had a feeder going and aeration system". If you want a LMB-BG similar to this you will need to aerate and provide food- ie pellets. Since the pond is evidently in a remote location you should probably plan for windmill aeration. A windmill with fairly good wind action will easily aerate a 0.2-0.3 ac pond. Plan on total final cost for feeder and windmill to be abt an extra $2000. Used aeration windmills are sometimes available quite a bit cheaper. Although you may have to disassemble and haul yourself.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/03/10 09:55 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
PONDNUT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Can I use an air compressor with a long hose and a diffuser for the aeration? It's about 500 yards to the barn. I have a game feeder 6vdc powered w/ solar charge. Will that work for the feeder. I'm very low on money but very creative on engineering. What you think. MM

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yes the compressor should work, but you'll have to reduce the pressure and flow to what your diffuser will handle. The feeder might work too. If it's a directional feeder, that's best, but a rotary game feeder will work as well. If the feeder is placed on shore or a dock, you'll have to make a baffle that will direct the feed into the pond. Any bears in the area? They like fish food as well.

Orc AP made a tripod to hold the feeder that sits out in the pond where the bears can't get to.

I know you might be tempted to feed generic feed store fish food, but Purina Game Fish Chow is good, the higher protein (based off of fish, not another protein base) works even better.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
PONDNUT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks one answer opens other questions.
1. Is the feeding for the brim and minnows and the bass eat the fat bait?????
2. We don't have bears but coons are running wild.
3. Based on stocking this pond properly how much food is required?
4. What size diffuser do I need for a 1/4 to 3/8 acre pond?

Look I already looking at all this and haven't moved any dirt yet.

I hope to start digging Friday if the weather holds.

All I have is a 580K Case backhoe which I sold some timber to buy.
That was my 13 yr old sons idea. My wife hated the timber cut. I did too but wanted the hoe more. MM

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: PONDNUT
Thanks one answer opens other questions.
1. Is the feeding for the brim and minnows and the bass eat the fat bait????? Yes. Possibly some LMB will take to the feeding. If they do, those fish will grow a LOT quicker than the LMB that only eat live bait.
2. We don't have bears but coons are running wild. Coons can be a PITA, but not 'near as damaging as a bear.
3. Based on stocking this pond properly how much food is required? The fish will tell you. Feed only what will be consumed in 15 minutes. It will be a slight amount at first, but will grow as they get used to the food and they grow bigger. I doubt that you'll be going thru 50# in a month.
4. What size diffuser do I need for a 1/4 to 3/8 acre pond?
That one should be answered by someone with more aeration expertise than I have.
Look I already looking at all this and haven't moved any dirt yet.

I hope to start digging Friday if the weather holds.

All I have is a 580K Case backhoe which I sold some timber to buy.
That was my 13 yr old sons idea. My wife hated the timber cut. I did too but wanted the hoe more. MM

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My general advice is it depends on the management level you are willing to undertake. The more it is run like an aquaculture operation (feed trained fish , aeration , monitored water quality , supp forage stocking , population mgt. , etc. ) the smaller it can be. With a natural pond and limited mgt then one acre is a good guideline IMO.

P
PONDNUT Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks I'll start digging this weekend once it drops below 109 Heat index. MM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??