Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake, catscratch, STG), 1,144 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Personally I wouldn't put anything from the pond into the tank. A great way to add parasites and potential disease. If it was me I'd use either fish feed or ammonia to feed the bacteria until the tank cycles. Then just before adding the fish they would get a salt dip to rid them of any ectoparasites. That is what I did and knock on wood I have no problems with parasites or disease.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bender

All the data I've seen shows an RBC is the most efficient! laugh They cost a little more to build but you get what you pay for.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
OP Offline
S
The deer netting IS the filter medium for the bio filter
Quote:
Use 4 to 5 bricks or a plastic pop crate in the bottom of the barrel to create the clear water space. Fill the barrel with any available plastic material. 2 or 3 20X20 ft fruit tree bird nets @ $6.00 ea. Or a roll of 5 ft. X 100 ft. deer fence @ $14.00 will do nicely. Just wad the netting unto the barrel and weight it down with a flat rock. Aquatic plants in the top will help hide the barrel and will help remove nutrients from the water.

Source: http://www.doughtywatergarden.com/Tips/55%20Gallon%20Biofilter.htm

I figure by putting them in the pond they will develop microbes on them even before they are stuffed into the biofilter.

S
OP Offline
S
I found this about salt

Quote:
When salt supplementation is advised, Morton recommends using Morton® White Crystal® Solar Salt or Morton® Canning and Pickling Salt for fish ponds and fresh water aquariums, as these products do not contain additives.

Source: http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/

I guess that means water softener salt is out of the question.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I and most hatcheries I am aware of use simple 'Stock Salt" from any $feed store or co-op. $3/bg in bulk or ~$7/bg. It comes in 50 pound bags.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I use uniodized salt from the grocery store. I don't use enough for it to be a cost issue, at least not yet.

Good news! My family may want to invest in building a pole barn and expanding my fish business. A building to overwinter fish and hold fish for sale has been my biggest impediment on expansion.

I'm thinking of selling and delivering grass carp and producing and selling tilapia for algae control since the dummies in my state are stuck on raising them for food fish and getting less. You can only hit someone in the head with a 2 X 4 so long.

Hey Rex if I produce enough you can get them from me for this area of the midwest. Then you can just drive an empty truck one way without all the hassle.

S
OP Offline
S
I think one 5000 gallon swimming pool would take about a 50 pound sack and you would be just under one tablespoon per gallon. I used about a heaping teaspoon I think in my aquariums.

I read that salt kills algae. I never had a problem growing algae in my aquariums at the level I used. Do you guys think using a whole tablespoon per gallon would still grow lots of algae?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Decide what concentration you want and you can use the chart and info here... www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/SALTTRANS.htm

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Cecil, as you know, I'm an Indiana approved transporter and supplier for certified trilpoid GC if you pull the trigger on GC. You cold hold them in any of your ponds now.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, that's GREAT news! If you need a hand with anything just ask.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Surfsteve
I think this link would provide some good reading for you as well in your your project
http://www.aqualex.org/elearning/fish_feeding/english/bioenergetics/index.html

PAUL
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Good news! My family may want to invest in building a pole barn and expanding my fish business. A building to overwinter fish and hold fish for sale has been my biggest impediment on expansion.

With your experience in raising fish this seems like a logical expansion for you. You might also want to look into SBA guaranteed loans and even farm loans to get this venture going.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Cecil, as you know, I'm an Indiana approved transporter and supplier for certified trilpoid GC if you pull the trigger on GC. You cold hold them in any of your ponds now.

Sounds good although i was told by Malone and Sons that a truck comes up this way from their farm and I could meet them with my hauling tank as long as I have a grass carp permit which I do and I can get any time.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/01/10 09:35 AM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
All the data I've seen shows an RBC is the most efficient! laugh They cost a little more to build but you get what you pay for.

What do you mean by "most efficient"? As far as foot print of the filter and bioload capacity, everything I have read points to a fluidized bed filter being the best. I have also read that a bio-reactor with kaldness media and other aerated moving bed biofilters are very good too.

I have not implemented either of these yet, so I am eager to hear about their pros/cons.

Last edited by Bender; 08/01/10 11:52 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Removal Efficiencies:

RBC 74-83%
Trickling 23-51
fluidized bed 8-32%

http://www.aqualitysymposium.org/ppt...ofilters.ppt#1

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

With your experience in raising fish this seems like a logical expansion for you. You might also want to look into SBA guaranteed loans and even farm loans to get this venture going.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jeff!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The number for fbf looks way too low to me, perhaps they are referring to the old gravel style fbfs. The enormous surface area of the sand in the the fbf (just under 8000sqft per cubic foot) should allow a much smaller foot print and according to this site they can chew through up to 100% of the ammonia in a single pass. I realize this is a manufacturer's site but I have read about high conversion rates other places as well.

It could also be that they are referring to the cost of running the filter, as RBC can run with only a small air pump and a sand fbf requires water to be pumped into the sand at good rate to keep it all moving.

I am not knocking on RBCs at all but, I have just read alot of material that backs sand filters. I am really interested in reading that report, but the link isnt working. Could you fix the link?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bender,

I think the link was only temporary as it was a symposium or something. I tried it too and couldn't get it to come up.

You have some good points and I don't know enough about all the filters to make a good counterargument, but I do know one thing: Several people I know of that tried to use a sand filter exclusively had nothing but problems with clogging and channeling.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/03/10 05:36 AM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
If a fluidized bed sand filter is properly designed, they last forever, are clog proof, are self-cleaning, and never need repair. The surface area of the sand is unmatched as well. There is also no other filter that can respond as rapidly to changes in bio-loads.

Fluidezed bed sand filters are not intended for clarifying of the water or any other "solids" removal. The sole problem I have found with a FBSF is if water flow is interupted for more than a few seconds without having a positive sealing check valve on the inlet side, re-starting is difficult.

These filters can't use ordinary sand and to operate properly the "sand" should be angular shaped and graded to near exact sizes and uniformity.

If people have problems with channeling or clogging, the chances are they are using the improper sand.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Bender,

I think the link was only temporary as it was as symposium or something. I tried it too and couldn't get it to come up.

You have some good points and I don't know enough about all the filters to make a good counterargument, but I do know one thing: Several people I know of that tried to use a sand filter exclusively had nothing but problems with clogging and channeling.

Cecil, I googled the site and read the power point about 4am. They are right on the money! Why re-invent the wheel? Ego? Chance at making money? Publishing dollars?

My un-biased Engineering books, plus experience, tell me "You Go Cecil" with your RBC's. They are stable as a rock formation and top notch productive.

When you build your pole barn, I would do stick, like 2x6 and insulate well. After your building is up, and you want to do some nice recycle systems on a budget, let me know. No crazy electrical eating, non stable, machines are allowed!!!

Surfsteve: This is going to be a learning experience, and if things don't work exactly as envisioned or anticipated, keep on plugging away. Submerged filters are quite tricky at best. I have not got a clue as to what the surface area of the deer netting is per 100ft roll, but that is very important. I would also suggest that you throw away that link and do a down flow system with a good solids filter in place. You could maybe use one or two barrels on the up-flow side for solids filtration, then a few on the other side, down flow, for bio-filtration. Down flow on the 55 gallon drums will leave options open for aeration and gas stripping at a future date, albeit, not the best scenario. Then, at least you wont have too much to re-do, and can maybe toss in a few more fish after adjustments. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by JKB; 08/02/10 06:49 PM. Reason: added stuff
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Excellent link Rex!

S
OP Offline
S

My pool was leaking pretty bad so I found another pool just like mine only 2 feet bigger. Turns out mine is a 16 foot even though it only measures 15 and a half. I had thought maybe the frame had stretched but apparently it "shrunk" at the factory.

Anyway after I picked up the pool I picked up my fish. It was about 10 pm and I didn't get home till almost 2 in the morning when I got home and put the fish in the pool. YOU GUYS AREN'T KIDDING! I was amazed at the amount of crap and how dirty the water was by morning. That all happened yesterday and it looks like I'm going to need to do a partial water change by tomorrow. I only have the pool about 1/3 full because of the leak. Funny thing is it looks like all of the leaks in my pool have stopped since I added the fish. I got a feeling that they all got plugged up with fish poop. Hopefully I wont have to go through too many water changes once I get my biofilter up and running.

I've decided to stick with my original plan and build my first biofilter out of 55 gallon drums according to my first plans. Leaving the pool down low makes me realize that siphoning in and pumping out is NOT practical. I found a great video of nearly exactly what I'm going to build. Only differences are I'm going to flip my drum over and cut out the bottom instead of the top. That way I have a nice 2" threaded opening that I can put a ball valve to drain off the solids. I'm also thinking of using the piece I cut out as a shield to keep the current from disturbing solids on the bottom.

I found a neat video today showing the design of my filter. The guy used a smaller container than a drum. I want to also make some bigger filters. I'm a little concerned that a 700 sq ft deer net isn't going to provide enough surface area. I think I'll just start building filters experimenting and adding more and more of them till my pool stays clean without water changes. Water is expensive out here so I hope it doesn't take too long. My water test kit is due to arrive tomorrow. I can tell without the kit that it will already need changing

Here is the video of the filter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQugTLfN0zY
The guy used rope instead of deer mesh. I bet that works a lot better.

S
OP Offline
S
I just took a couple of pictures. Here is one of my pool

and here is one of my fish

Also that link about filtration was great. I did read in there that greenwater cultivation is difficult and should not be attempted by beginners so this is defiantly going to be a challenge. I can not believe the amount of algae and how fast it has grown. I added a total of 10 tablespoons of Miracle Gro to the pond. I wouldn't have added the last 5 tablespoons had I known I was going to find a back up pool 10 minutes later and be on my way to buy the fish. When I added 300 gallons of green goldfish water to it, it was so light green I couldn't even see a color change. This picture is only 4 days later. Tomorrow I intend to do a 2/3 water change. This totally blows away anything I have ever done in an aquarium!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
This is going to be a fun project to follow.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length