Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Jward87), 716 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
WOW!!!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That is one giant brown trout! The IGFA requires more than 1 once difference for a new record, so they'll make it a tie with the old one.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Wasn't the Brown Trout record broken just a few years back by a guy on a river in Michigan draining into Lake Michigan?

From what I've read, the lake has a great and under-utilized Brown Trout fishery.

Ponds in TX, lake place in WI, me in CA
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: txelen
Wasn't the Brown Trout record broken just a few years back by a guy on a river in Michigan draining into Lake Michigan?

Yes. And before that the Red River in Arkansas. If this is a Seeforellen strain of brown trout it's a strain that originated in large lakes in Bavaria, Germany and gets quite large. It was predicted at least a decade a go that the new world record may come from this area of Lake Michigan. Sounds like it has come true. Orginally this strain was brought over by the DEC of New York for Lake Ontario. The DEC discontinued them due to disease problems.

Originally Posted By: txelen
From what I've read, the lake has a great and under-utilized Brown Trout fishery.

Depends on the area of the lake. Some areas are better than others and some of the Great Lakes are better than others for brown trout. Lake Huron gets much lower survival of planted brown trout due to more significant walleye and cormorant predation. I had a biologist in Alpena, Michigan tell me they only get a 1/10th of 1 percent survival rate in his area. He says the cormorants stay put for a while in Lake Huron vs. Lake Michigan which is more devastating on the newly planted trout.

I understand the more inshore browns vs. the salmon are eating the gobies, which is a good thing. The salmon fishing and size of the largest fish is not what it used to be though. At least not on the Indiana Michigan side.

The brown trout fishery along with other salmonids is a put and grow fishery though.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/18/10 11:21 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cecil, for the brown trout in particular... Is it a put and grow fishery because of a lack of spawning habitat, as in streams to ascend and spawn in or because of poor survival of the smolts? There are several streams in PA where brown trout will reproduce fine, there just isn't the correct nursery habitat for the brown trout smolts so the vast majority get eaten before they reach a catchable size.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Cecil, for the brown trout in particular... Is it a put and grow fishery because of a lack of spawning habitat, as in streams to ascend and spawn in or because of poor survival of the smolts? There are several streams in PA where brown trout will reproduce fine, there just isn't the correct nursery habitat for the brown trout smolts so the vast majority get eaten before they reach a catchable size.

Lack of high quality spawning habitat for the most part, although there is some natural reproduction in places. What does hatch probably has to survive a gauntlet of predators (what you elude to), and of course fishing pressure.

From what i was told by a biologist at the Wild Rose Hatchery in Wisconsin, back when I did my outdoor column, the Seeforellen strain is a fish that prefers to ascend moving waters connected to lakes(similar to their native habitat). Wisconsin collects their broodfish in a weir or electroshocks vs. Michigan, that used to keep broodfish on hand, but as far as I know no longer does. I believe Wisconsin is the only one prepetuating the Seeforellen strain although I could be wrong. Many of these planted fish of course don't know state boundaries and end up being other state records. That's happened several times in Lake Michigan waters of Indiana back when Indiana did not plant brown trout. Indiana now gets brown trout to stock Lake Michigan from the feds. Not sure what strain however.

BTW the hatchery manager in Wisconsin told me anyone that thinks they can tell this strain from another by looking at them is deceiving themselves. He told me when he went back and compared tags to what he thought were Seeforellen, he was wrong much of the time.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/19/10 01:36 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM