Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (FishinRod, Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup), 1,006 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 45 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 44 45
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
My brother is in the process of building a cabin and got it all spray foam insulation. It is 1500 square feet and has master bedroom on second floor with the rest open to the vaulted ceiling. Spray foam is supposed to be alot better but his bill was 30k. It takes alot of batts/ vapor barrier/labour/ future gas to add up the 30k.

Bski I account for about 500 views on this thread. It's one I am excited to see on the active topics list.

Good work.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

N
N
Bski, amazing project.

I am currently where you were in 2001 timeframe so this gives me some glimpse of where I want to be in a few years.

Awesome that you guys are doing it all yourselves, are you planning on doing the same with the actual house?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My Ma and Pa bought and sold a number of recreational properties thru the years. This included building and/or re-hab'ing cabins and smaller houses on them. I was involved as a kid and it all clicked for me, so here I am carrying on the tradition.
I called my father about 15 years ago, when I decided that I was going to get outta boating and into something like they used to do. I asked him for his advice on selecting property and the top 2 tips were: make sure it's relatively close to good healthcare (hospital) and make damn sure you're done doing all this DIY by the time you're 60....your mind will say yes, but your body will disagree.
I'm 53 right now. If and when an actual retirement home is planned, my tool belt should be collecting dust, hanging on a nail somewhere. At most, I would GC. At the least, I would cut the checks.
-
Thanks for the prop's, NCMike. My tip to you is to make sure you've got the right partner. Dski's are far and few in between.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: blair5002
...Spray foam is supposed to be alot better but his bill was 30k. It takes alot of batts/ vapor barrier/labour/ future gas to add up the 30k.

Blair5002 nailed it. It's all about ROI. This is the same reason that we are nix'g geothermal for this structure. Since it is a weekend place + vacation, the ret'n on investment for energy saving upgrades is tilted to the red. If and when NCMike comes up to build my final retirement home (next door on the building pad), I will then seriously consider spray foam and geothermal.

N
N
Bski, fortunately I already have the right one and she is more excited about the build than me! Hell she is running the shop (all the mom stuff)and doing all my "honey-do's" while I am stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Now I just have to find the right(2nd) piece of dirt to call our retirement property/vacation property.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A quick departure from construction stuff, to provide some perspective...
-
Every now and then, I bump around the few different aerial pic providers to see if I can find something recent and decent. Until now, it has been average to spotty for quality. I was goofing around with Bing maps and found the same old tired aerial shots of our pond project...until I clicked on the drop-down menu and clicked thru to "detailed". Wow, what a difference. I am danged certain that this shot is early fall 2011.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Pretty sweet birds eye view, but nothing up to date out my way (atleast not on iPhone version).. Thanks for that little piece of knowledge..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, my pond on Bing is from late 2008. Bing doesn't even show the pond when the address is typed in, it shows a place that's about a mile to the West. Same problem that many GPS have.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Wow - is your water that green in fall ? If so you will never need fertilizer and may need aeration.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Wow - is your water that green in fall ? If so you will never need fertilizer and may need aeration.

Bing maps sure thinks so, but ground level assessment dictates otherwise.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The Bing map for us is fall/winter 2010. Where is the drop down on the map?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
a little drop-down arrow to the right of "bird's eye" at the top of the pic window. Click "aerial, a detailed look from above"

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not available on iPhone

After playing with it more.. What I seen as birds eye is the best pic available.. Nothing is recent though..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 02/29/12 12:01 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
N
N
Looks just about like heaven Brettski! Gorgeous.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The fiberglass insulation installation at the upstairs living area is complete. We spent the last few days carefully installing the plastic vapor barrier. Although it's not a pool liner, we spent a lot of time making certain that air leaks are minimized. We temporarily screwed in the fire door at the entrance so we can use a kerosene heater to take off the chill...works great. It is SO nice to be able to work up there in jeans and a T-shirt. With the inordinately warmer weather we are enjoying in the midwest, I expect a window A/C unit will likely appear sooner than later.
This is a pretty big step for our 2-horse team. It defines the interior space and provides the sound deadening and temp control to give us a real feel for the how the finished product will someday look.
Instead of a bunch of the same old pics, I decided to link up a bunch of those same old pics into a new old video.

Although we are now spurred on to start thinking about the drywall, it is gonna be a pretty significant expense and the piggie bank is sputtering. Besides, we will be bringing in 12-footers thru the picture windows and the soil has be either frozen solid or dry as a bone or the dely truck/cherry picker can't be safely staged to hoist it through. We are not wanting for numerous other smaller projects, so shifting our DIY attention elsewhere is pretty easy....likely back downstairs to start working on the garage area.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work - on the house and vid ! I still like that big window !!!

The upstairs is livable now - so no more little hut in the woods ?

What you going to do downstairs next ?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Smart man with the drywall delivery. I hung 54 12' sheets just on walls alone 2 years ago and it kicked my butt. It might have been easier to do with 2 people, but I managed by myself. It was in a walk-out basement, and I was able to back the trailer with the drywall on it into the basement.

With the weather, it's a perfect time to be outside enjoying the woods waking up from winter.

The ticks might be bad this year tho.

I'm with ewest, whats the plans for downstairs?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We are switching back to work on the HVAC system. The next goal is to complete the sheet metal work for the rest of the supply ducts. We already finished 6 runs (for upstairs) and 4 shorter runs (for the downstairs shop area) last summer and insulated/dry-walled that part. That was done simply to cork up the shop area, thereby allowing us to move in for nicer digs. Now it's time to finish the balance of the ductwork.
-
All the work continues to be ladder-work into a ceiling height at 9-1/2 feet...yeah, sux. Some of the runs are pretty simple and straight....no obstructions.

Then, there's the headaches that need to negotiate around something else. This gets further complicated because I have to transition from round to oval to "sneak past" something.

Anyway, all the supply ductwork is done. Suffice to say that I put sheet metal work right up there with drywall taping and laying roof shingles....not my fav.

Now I have to work in the cold air returns. With a little forethought, I did manage to design a chase that will be right above the mechanical room below. The chase gets framed in.

This framework will be half chase and half "tall and skinny pantry"...still trying to squeeze out every square inch. This is the easy part of the CAR. The difficult part will be just below, the second floor....right back in the same space that I just finished laying in the supply ducts. I have to route from each of the bedroom areas and tie them back to the same chase we built upstairs. This is one of the BR CAR duct holes that will pull thru the wall cavity.

I didn't really do an architect-quality job of planning for the CAR's that run inside the floor framing, so that will mean some creative sheet metal work. Can't wait...soon come.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
How in the world did a garage-apartment with a pond view with such a simple original plan become so complex ?

Good work and glad you have the skill and patience !

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski, are you going to tape the seams of the supply ductwork? If this upcoming weather decides to stick around for the summer, the HVAC will get a workout!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Brettski, just joined PB not too long ago and just went through all of your thread. Very nice place and heck of a job!!!! Maybe you can inspire me to finish the deck I started for my pool last summer. LOL. I got it all the way around the pool and half the side deck done and the place I work at decided to work us to death. OT is now manditory and still is ridiculous. Wife wants it finished by summer so I have no choice but to hire the job finished. Oh ya I like the stair problems. I hate when you get to a spot and its,now what am I going to do???? Great job figuring it out.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the prop's, Frozengator. You ain't alone; I have a stack of honey-do's that go back 3 years at our principal residence. This gar/apt project has sucked up all the time and money...and yet I soldier on.
-
Tin Knocker
The HVAC sheet metal work is pretty much done. It came with a reasonable amount of cuts and scrapes. I had a few traffic jams and clogged intersections, but it finally came together. Here is my most dangerous intersection.

The cold air returns (CAR's) were a joy unto themselves. When it came time to tie the bedroom returns to the main chase return, there was no combination of standard fittings available to bring it all together. I had to use stock galv sheet metal and measure-snip-measure-snip-fold-snip-fold and came up with this Rube Goldberg special:

It was a super tight fit, but we got it up into the 2nd floor framing and everything hooked up well. This is a shot looking up to the top of the mechanical room, directly over where the furnace and AC handler will reside. The two 8 x 12's on the left are the feeds and the 10 x 20 Bski Goldberg on the right is the CAR.

Upstairs, we lined the chase with more of the galv sheet metal and caulked all the corners. I like to put a high and low opening for CAR's. This allows using magnetic sheeting to cover one up, depending on whether it's the heating or cooling season. The bedroom CAR's will be the same.

All joints and takeoffs are either caulked or taped with aluminum tape. The only fittings that I haven't yet sealed are the elbows. The tub of duct sealer and pair of latex gloves oughta get that job done....next trip.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski, are you running hi/low registers too? Not just the returns?

Looking good Mr. Tin Man!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Moving on to the plumbing pressure lines. Other than the pex tubing that we embedded into the shop slab during the concrete flat work, this is pretty much my first experience with pex tubing. The stuff is the catsass, and installation is a breeze....kinda.
I say kinda cuz I'm takin' the simplicity of pex tubing installation and adding a bit of an install headache by carefully setting the elevation of each run so that it pitches back (downhill) from the fixture that it serves. The idea is to ease winterization to the point that little/no pink stuff is required and most all the fixtures can be as simple as turning off the water, opening the fixture valve, and draining it back to the mechanical room. Of course, there will be some additional prep'ing for some fixtures (toilets require a bit more attention), but I hope to be able to pressurize selected fixtures when we arrive there on a cold, snowy weekend....and then drain them off and empty the lines when we leave. A system of valves will be incorporated in with the water mainifolds, and each fixture will have a home run (dedicated line) coming back to those manifolds.
-
-
The pex is all roughed in.

Having sweated my share of copper and goofed around with far too many compression and flare fittings, the difficult process of cutting a plastic tube to length and crimping a copper ring is, well, a piece of cake.

Well the deck is finshed so now its on to the wind mill. LOL

Page 32 of 45 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday