Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Snipe, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod), 1,045 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 45 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 44 45
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
Here, Hardi and Certanteed sided homes will appraise just below brick. Smartside will appraise the same as T1-11, and other wood siding type products.

You are correct about it being lighter and that you can work it with regular wood tools. It's OSB, so it cuts and works exactly like OSB. The finish looks nice at first. Might even say that it's very hard to tell from Hardi or Certanteed. The problems are in wear. Being OSB, it is susuptable to the same issues that happen to OSB. The edges expand and come apart.

I've only seen it used a few times and thought it looked nice. The guys who installed it, liked how easy it was, but joked about how they would never use it in their homes. One guy told me that he used it because Hardi causes cancer. He's a nut, and while he can frame a house, he's smoked too much ganja in his life and I tend to nod my head when I talk to him and ignore what he has to say.

Hardi cuts real easy with a proper blade. It nails on real easy with a coil nail gun, and it paint real good. I've done a 2,2000 sq ft homes by myself, so it's easy to install.

Before buying it, I'd go talk to some builders in your area and see who has used both. Get some first hand opinions and then decide if you want to stick with Smartsiding.

Eddie

Interesting post, Eddie. Thanks.
 Quote:
Being OSB, it is susuptable to the same issues that happen to OSB. The edges expand and come apart.

This would be a main concern...for obvious reasons. I was under the impression that it was manufactured with the same impervious glues that Advantech uses. No?

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I was under the impression that it was manufactured with the same impervious glues that Advantech uses. No?

Different climates, different types of homes and I'm sure quality of builders will all come up with different results. When Hardi first came out, there was allot of resistance to it. I for one refused to use it and only wanted cedar or PT wood. Obviously, I've changed my mind on it and now consider it the very best product available for what it is. Rock and brick are still better, but Hardi is cheaper to buy, cheaper to install and it looks great. For mid range homes, out buildings, additions and accent, it's the best product out there.

The question you have to deal with is how well with the smartside hold up, and to what degree of maintenance are you willing to put into it for the cost savings of using it instead of Hardi?

For the amount of money that you will be spendng on siding, it's worth a few hours time to go talk to some builders and suppliers which is better and why it's better. Reading what the manufacturer says is a good start, but in reality, they are only going to write what some marketing expert has come up with to sell the product. Reality and marketing are often two differnt things.

Good luck,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great progress B'ski. Back on schedule for the roof?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Great progress B'ski. Back on schedule for the roof?

Yes and no....I think.
The original plan hope was a roof in time for trick or treat. Now, the goal is turkey day.
We now schedule according to major holidays.

Lunker
Lunker
Just like back in elementary school! (Remember classroom calenders with cartoon holiday pictures?)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow another weekend of fantastic progress, in the rain no less!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We are oh so close to being completed with the rough framing. Besides 4 small wall sections in the four corners of the upstairs, we are pretty much set to begin laying in the roof sheathing.
The fly rafters were a special treat to install. We managed to do so from the inside. They overhang by 2 feet, so there were some seat-of-the-pants acrobatic events. They're done, and turned out great.
-

-

-
-
I am dying to get the windows installed throughout the 2nd floor, but I gotta keep my eye on the roof prize for now.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow, looking great, Brettski! It's been fun watching your progress and it seems as if the pace of your progress has absolutely increased exponentially in the past few weeks. Good luck in getting it nailed down prior to winter setting in - looks like your odds are pretty good!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
GO BRET GO

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Very impressive. You're framing skills are excellent. Some of those cuts are pretty complicated, and it looks like you got them in perfectly.

Are you going to put soffits in? I wont matter on the side, bump out that you have, but I'm curious how you will vent the attic. It's going to be fun on the ladder doing it, or will you rent a lift?

I'm also wondering how you will get the decking up ther on the roof. I pretty much avoid doing two story work like that, but have a few times and hate it. If you have to do it by hand, it's a royal pain.

Are you installing the shingls yourself? Again, getting those bundles up there is the hard part. If you are doing it yourself, pay the extra to have them deliverd to the roof top. Cheap money when you have to haul them up on a ladder!!!

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Lunker
Lunker
I'm also wondering how you will get the decking up ther on the roof. I pretty much avoid doing two story work like that, but have a few times and hate it. If you have to do it by hand, it's a royal pain.

I have always worked material up from the first floor through the trusses in those situations.

It's always good to have a two-story ladder placed on the outside before you put the last sheet down.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Very impressive. You're framing skills are excellent. Some of those cuts are pretty complicated, and it looks like you got them in perfectly.
Thanks Eddie. You might hire me for the craftsmanship, but I would be out of a job by the end of the day when you discovered how slowly and methodically I work. My wife's (Dski's) favorite line is "C'mon and cut the damn thing....you're not building furniture here!"

Are you going to put soffits in? I wont matter on the side, bump out that you have, but I'm curious how you will vent the attic. The small overhang at each shed dormer is 6" x 36' long. It will be 100% vented. We will also use a continuous ridge vent at the peak. I am hoping this will be sufficient, but also anticipate that we may have to add an attic fan at the gable peak. I am also still seriously considering foam insulation at the roof. It's going to be fun on the ladder doing it, or will you rent a lift? I'm a ladder guy, but made a minor upgrade for this project. I already had a pair of 24' extension ladders, so I added a pair of ladder jacks and an aluminum scaffold plank. Yep, it's still gonna be fun.
I'm also wondering how you will get the decking up ther on the roof. I pretty much avoid doing two story work like that, but have a few times and hate it. If you have to do it by hand, it's a royal pain. We will use a variation of the pic below. Crazy? Yep! Does it work? Yep!

Are you installing the shingls yourself? Again, getting those bundles up there is the hard part. If you are doing it yourself, pay the extra to have them deliverd to the roof top. Cheap money when you have to haul them up on a ladder!!! Agreed and a very good point. It is a moot point, though, since this is going to be a snap-lock standing seam metal roof. Eddie

-

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski, I hope you have a good set of magnets for your boots! Those metal roofs might get a bit slippery with the water/snow. Are you going to install any of those little dams that prevent the snow and ice from sliding off the metal roofs?

I have a continuous ridge vent on the house here, and I was amazed at how much heat came out of the attic when I put in gable vents. It lowered the upstairs temp by a good 5* during the summer.

Last edited by esshup; 11/04/09 12:27 PM. Reason: vent info.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Oh yeah....and a couple more details related thereof.
I did cheat a little bit on the shorter rafter tails at the shed dormers. Knowing that I had to cut over 50 of them, I laid out some Rube Goldberg jigs in the basement at home and used the radial arm and band saws to run them production style. I took the completed set to the job in the back of the truck.

-
-
This one might have proved out to be the most valuable.
I can use, and understand, the rafter square for rafter layouts, but it's a process for me. Instead, I searched the www to find a rafter program. Of course, it had to be a freebie, so my search results were very limited in scope and ability. Then I found easyrafters.com They offer a 30 day n/c trial, and you do not have to give up a credit card. It was the only program that I could find that was not only free (somewhat), but comprehensive in it's ability to do just about any type of roof (including gambrel) and was relatively easy to use and understand.
If I were a carpenter and I was going to be doing more than 1 roof, I would pay this guy for this program. It rocks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski, I hope you have a good set of magnets for your boots! Those metal roofs might get a bit slippery with the water/snow.

I think you might convince Moe or Curly to get up on a wet metal roof, but even I have a few more marbles than that. Right, Theo?
-
I have found that the painted metal roofs are completely free of any manufacturing oils. Heck, they better be....they're finish coat is paint. Anyway, the key is a good pair of rubbery tennies and a damp towel at the base of the ladder to wipe the dust off the shoe bottoms.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In So. Cal. I helped a guy put on tile roofs for some side $$. We left a job in Lakeside because it was drizzling and we weren't exactly comfortable up on the roof, considering it was a 2-story built into the side of a hill. We finished papering the roof and got the heck out of there. The next day we climbed up on the roof seeing that the roofing supply co. loaded the roof for us. We saw a perfect set of "ski" tracks going right off the roof on the downhill side. It turns out that one of the guys loading the roof thought he could get by with the worn tennis shoes. The dampness combined with the slightly sandy paper = a good ski slope. He landed in the soft dirt on his feet not 5' away from the pile of scrap lumber. When we saw him, he had new shoes on! The ground was soft enough so he wasn't hurt except for all the crap that he had to take from the other workers!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
You might hire me for the craftsmanship, but I would be out of a job by the end of the day when you discovered how slowly and methodically I work. My wife's (Dski's) favorite line is "C'mon and cut the damn thing....you're not building furniture here!"

Reminds me of my Dad, he was an engineer, we used to joke with him that his motto was measure seven times cut once.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I think you might convince Moe or Curly to get up on a wet metal roof, but even I have a few more marbles than that. Right, Theo?

It's not the quantity of marbles that causes Theo and I concern Brettski.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
the size...?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
... or is it their density ? \:o - ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
WR

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
While their size and density is also an area for concern, it is more along the lines of the lack of physical attachment to anything.

How in the world did I ever begin talking about Brettski's marbles?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
dunno, but please stay clear of the marble bag

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Once again I must say great job!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dry me in!
We spent this weekend concentrating on drying in one half of the roof. I can thank Rockytopper for recommending the 5/8" plywood for the roof sheathing. We trailered in 64 sheets to do the job. No biggie, until it comes time to put 'em where they belong.

-

-
We ran outta time and never got the lower corner roof sections decked. I had enough daylight left to lay in a couple of sheets of felt paper over the corner section that is over the stairway opening....trying to keep out as much rain as possible.
-
One final shot at dusk....time to go back home (again)

Page 10 of 45 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward