Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,016
Posts558,542
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, bmicek, Fishingadventure), 468 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#226751 07/16/10 02:16 PM
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Bob gave me the go ahead to make this correction for the purchase of tagging equipment. I wanted to clarify the tagging info.

Aquatic Ecosystems sales a tag gun and the colored tags for $100. They are a great company and supporters of Pond Boss if you plan to tag a certain cohort such as adding northern bass to a population this is great way to do it. However the point of the article was tagging individual fish. To do so you need to use numbered tags. The floy tag system has a covering over the actual tag. We have bass tagged 5 years back that with a thumb rub can clear algae and read. They are quality tags.

Also Nate mentioned to me he is not sure about the $80 tagging kit mentioned. He does not sell this.

We have the numbered tags cheaper than anyone we invested in a large inventory. I love it so not really a profit item for us just like it when pondowners tag their fish. The gun is normally $50 but I drop price for any PB subscriber to $40. The numbered tags are $70/100 and although not listed on the web the colored tags are $5/100. Please call the office if you wish to get this discount we have no way of doing it on our website.
I do not want to solicit our business and not the intent of the article. The tutorial in the article showing the use of the tag gun is at the top of this page. http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&parent=7&pg=1

We also have a pond kit that includes the tagging gun and tags as well as a high quality scale, measuring board, clip board, thermometer, secchi disk, and data sheets we designed. We are proud of this kit and think it is what most pondowners need to track fish growth. The price is about half of what it would be if individual products bought elsewhere separately.

I hope you enjoyed the article and more folks start tracking their fish movement and growth.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Greg:

I was wondering if the prices quoted in the article were comparing apples to apples. From buying numbered tags (and kit) from you, and price shopping, I had a gut feeling that the other tags/tagging kits were not using numbered tags.

I hope that there is clarification in the next issue.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Thanks Scott, just letting folks know so they can start tagging I hope. It is one way for the pondowner to be more of a biologist, tag and run Wr.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Do these guns work for Bluegill, Crappie, and Catfish?

What would be the smallest fish you should try to tag?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The tags will work for all fish species. I don't know the smallest size you can tag - I'll let someone with more experience answer that one.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Yes many species. I would not tag a bluegil less than 6 inches or a bass less than 8 inches. That shoull give you some frame of refrence to go by.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
What's the expected mort rate on tagging let's say lmb over 8"?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
What's the expected mort rate on tagging let's say lmb over 8"?

100%. Nothing lives forever. grin

I've only tagged 3 in my pond and I see them swimming around, two were tagged last year, one this year. I DO like the numbered tags for my use, although for a larger operation I can see where they would get expensive quick.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
Yes many species. I would not tag a bluegil less than 6 inches or a bass less than 8 inches. That shoull give you some frame of refrence to go by.

Oops. JWHAP and I tagged a 5 inch BG for practice during our last trip.

For anyone on the fence about tagging guns they are very easy to use. I am planning on tagging any larger bass that I catch to keep track of growth. We keep our tagging gun and tags (thank you Nate and Greg Grimes) in our tackle bag. I forgot to tag the LMB that we caught last trip because, well just because I got too excited about catching the bass. laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
POnd Frog the mort is not higher. When done properly the fish is held up about 15 seconds longer than just a catch and realese and weight/length measurement. If you plan to track weights and lengths I do not understand why not tag the one going back.

At $.70 each Scott I think this is some of the best money you can spend to manage your pond. SO you tag 30 bass that is $21 worth of some possible awesome data.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
A
A
I'll do some bragging for Greg

The cost of this tagging kit

http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=product&id=29&parent=7

is BY FAR the least expensive you will find on the net. Aquaticeco ( big fan of theirs ) offers the gun for $93.00 and tags 1-100 for an additional $129.00. Other sites I've found run into the $300.00's for similar kits.

I will be purchasing mine this weekend and can't wait to tag that first YP.

The tutorial and video really helped my hesitation in trying to tag.. I'm ready to give it a try.

1/2 acre 14' Deep. LMB, WE, YP, HBG, BG, Rainbows.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Greg:

I wasn't even considering 100 tags a large scale. 5x that and now you're getting close. I tagged 3 more LMB in the pond, and I'll toss a tag in every one that I catch that's over 12" long. I also tagged that last big CC that I caught as well. I have an excel spreadsheet on the computer that I can keep track of them, and add the data if any are re-caught.

The large CC that was caught last April should be still swimming around, but it hasn't been seen since I caught it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Scott I hear you we don't even have data sets that big, I wish we did. Keep up the good work.

Also not really the main point but mentioned is if you catch fish knowing you have tagged many just points to a larger populaiton- good sign in other words.

Attica Farmer thank you...$120 vs. $300.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 07/22/10 08:08 AM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Kenn - 05/18/24 09:08 PM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?