Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Pics or we don't believe you. laugh

I will try to bring my phone with me the next few times I go fishing. I can't guarantee anything, though, it has been enough of a chore to try to remember my needlenose, tape measure, and scale laugh

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Great report, Chris. Man, what a pot-pourri of pondal inhabitants. You're missing tiger muskie and gar.

If/when I get the flathead out of there, I am going to replace it with one or two tiger muskie. NP fishing is my favorite, so I am looking forward to this moment. I have never fished for gar, or even seen one in real life, for that matter, but they sure are interesting looking.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: ewest
All of ours are like that. Only a small amount of the shore is managed.

Those are some beautiful pics. Are your ponds located in Mississippi, Eric? If so, I would have never guessed it by looking at the terrain around the ponds (it looks like anywhere from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin to me, but definitely north of Mississippi).

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
BBJR

Thank you for the reply. I think you can manage those LMB if you work at it - and that's a fun job!

I hate to admit it, but the LMB I have caught in the pond have fought harder than the comparable size SMB I have caught, this year.

SMB spawning on the sand is great information for the forum as most of us feel rock beds are necessary. I wish you had managed some photos for us - this is a great insight.

I have never had any luck trying to take pics of things under the water. The glare always creates conditions where you can't see anything. Any tips for photos like this?

My YP also hug the bottom during daytime conditions. Moistening pellets may be something you can try as they slowly sink and might be more readily targeted by the YP? Otherwise, let us know about switching to dusk feedings. I know my YP are feeding when I see a figure 8 pattern of ripples when they take [ala Condello].

I added a feeding time at 8:15 pm, last night, and eliminated my noon feeding. So we will see how it goes. I will try moistening the pellets and hand feeding if that don't work.

I too have riprarian conditions all around my ponds, I simply didn't know to employ that term to describe it. Thank you! Sure is easy to manage [ie: no mowing], but I am keeping all my cottonwoods pulled [when I can] or I spray them when their tap root is too established. Talk about a PITA...not an easy chore - but water is a commodity in my area and cottonwoods are notoriously thirsty - so I have no choice. I may allow a couple to take off and provide some much needed shade, however.

I read a PB mag article a couple of years ago, that dealt with this. I was already sick of trying to keep up with all the vegetation that grew on the shoreline, so I was ready for any excuse to leave it there. It does seem to have a very positive affect, and it turns out I like the look of it to boot.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: txelen

Above-water pond structure is one thing that I don't see discussed on the forum much. It'd be interesting to read more on good/bad trees and plants to have around the pond, using trees to moderate pond conditions, plants to provide overhanging fish cover, and plants to conceal/protect a pond from unwanted visitors.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: ghdfans2010

haha!That seems like great growth on the smallies. Good job!

Thanks!

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chris

If you don't have any luck with 8:15 try at dusk, like, 9:00 or 9:10. I know it seems late, but my YP will continue feeding on pellets after dark. Maybe that's unique to my pond - never fed YP at any other BOW, so I can't necessarily speak from vast experience.

If you water clarity warrants, have you considered an underwater camera? They are pretty cheap now and it would allow you to eliminate the glare issue....obviously.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Here are a few pics I took over the last few days.

Here is an average SMB (I took the weight, but can't remember what it was now):

Here is a YP (it was 4oz, which is spot on for a 100% RW, even though I thought they looked skinny):

Here is one of the average GSF (4oz):

Here is a bird that was on my deck. I've never seen one like this. Can anyone ID it?

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
We'll I'm no expert but the SMB and GSF look healthy. The YP looks a little weird to me but I know absolutely nothing about YP. I'm interested in hearing some expert feedback on the YP photo.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My WAG is that it's an Indigo Bunting.

That YP looks skinny to me.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks for the ID, Scott, I would say that's it. It sure was a good looking bird.

Thanks for the compliments, JHAP. I almost felt like giving up on managing the GSF, because they just weren't growing, but they seem to be doing a lot better now.

I agree about the YP looking skinny. Next time I catch one, I will weigh it to and see what it says. I checked my fish scale for accuracy against my digital kitchen scale, and it was within a 1/2 oz, but I have to be holding the fish scale plumb before I zero it out, or else it is inaccurate. Maybe I was a little off when I zeroed it out, when weighing that perch.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
B
bbjr Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I want to give a little update to this thread. I am in possession of the traveling lures this weekend, and I was using George's lure and caught a 19.5" 2lb 3oz walleye out of the pond.

It appears that atleast one of the original 5 stockers is still alive and is doing rather well. It was stocked 2 years ago at 5-7". Is this normal growth for pond stocked walleye? It seems very good to me and is the largest fish I have caught out of the pond with the exception of a CC, which I think was 3lbs 4oz.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice! A new fish species for the lures. I think that'w good growth, but I have no experience with walleye in ponds, and very little with walleye in lakes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Excellent Bbjr!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails