Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg), 697 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Chinese high fin banded shark or Chinese sucker, Myxocyprinus asiaticus

immature

adult

Anyone have any experience with them?

It seems like many on here are constantly searching for ways to control algae. According to aquarium and koi pond sources, this species is becoming more and more common in the trade for use in controlling algae. From my research, they are in the Catostomidae family, or suckers. From my research it seems they are cold water tolerant to at least Zone 7 and I have seen reports to Zone 4. They are a river species and require a very specific spawning habitat precluding them from overpopulating in a pond as they could not reproduce. However, they can and will do fine in pond environments. As to what types of algae they will consume, I do not know but many sources state they are ravenous feeders on algae. They reach about 3' as adults with 2' being a more common size.

As to their legality in stocking in an open water system I do not know. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them...

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
That's an interesting fish CJ, everything else comes from China, soon we'll have to order all our fish from there. smirk
I would be surprised if they would be legal to stock, we can't even get permmision to stock normal fish.
That fish would be fun in a swimming lake when they see that fin coming at them.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah that fin would get me out of the water pretty darn quick at first!!! First I have heard of them, sound interesting though.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What a neat looking fish! I'd love to have a couple of them in my pond even if they didn't control algae.

Unfortunately, I'm always very concerned about invasive species, and I know the WV DNR is even more cautious. I doubt we'll see any here for a while.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
My mom has a koi pond at her house (you should see the size of some of her koi, they're huge) and the koi supplier recommend that she stock one of those. She did. It was cool to see swimming around, it stayed at or near the bottom of the koi pond. It really blended in with the bottom rock and we would go weeks without seeing it. The last time I saw the fish it had grown to about 8 inches in length. A couple of years ago it mysteriously disappeared never to be seen from again. I don't know what happened to it. We never got a letter or post card or ransom note or anything.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Cat,

You have some Koi in a pond correct? Have you had any trouble with it messing things up?

Eating eggs or fish?

Dirty Water?

Just wondering as I thought if would be neat to have at least one in a pond, then you would not have to worry about them spawning.

Thanks

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As far as the legality on one hand as long as it's not on a list of prohibited species it's possible one could go ahead and stock it. On the other hand I'm sure if you asked if it would be O.K. you would get a resounding "no."

Personally I would advise against it. On too many occasions have there been species that weren't supposed to be able to reproduce or were benign that turned out to be anything but. Our grand government planted the common carp and believed they would be the greatest game fish ever.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I agree Cecil... Unless they come out with a triploid variety for open water pond stocking, it probably is best to leave them to home aquaria. However, if more research can be done on them and they do prove to be effective at algae control, effort could be put into producing triploid ones for open water stocking. Plus they are pretty cool looking fish, albeit unlikely to be seen in a larger BOW because of their adult coloration. I know they used to be imported mostly from China where they are endangered because of dam building and other habitat destruction. There is now a facility in FL that is breeding them here in the States.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't have the time right now to look it up or I would. CJ, (or anybody else) do you know what water temps it will survive in?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Travis

Great find, thank you for posting this. The number one drawback to TP is the need to restock annually. True, more research is needed on this species, but if they don't reproduce in still water environments it seems to address that concern. Tolerant up to zone 4 includes most of us...I'm definitely interested in learning more!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Any idea what the maximum size is CJ?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
I think he said 3' but average 2'.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I guess if I bothered to read his entire post... blush blush blush

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/11/10 02:26 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I apparently they are fairly slow growers. But as I said 3' seems to be max size, but many guys said they have had fish in their koi ponds for 10 years and they are only 18". There is one guy who has several in his outdoor Idaho koi pond and they have done well for years. He is in Zone 4. The biggest concern I can see if that they escape from private ponds, get into a river here in North America where they can reproduce and badly affect the natural balance. However, I am not sure how they could be worse than Asian carp...

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil

What's your initial assessment of these fish?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Cecil

What's your initial assessment of these fish?

I can't make one as I don't have enough information. CJ would be in a better position to do that. For really good information one would have to set up at least a couple of similar ponds with one a control.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/10/10 03:24 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I am with the "leave it alone" bunch. They cannot reproduce is still waters. but ponds get flooded and run into rivers. If they are cold tolerant, that would be a real problem.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks Eric

I noticed they also have pharyngeal teeth...wonder if they are used to prey on mollusks or snails?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It seems like they are not very fecund. Fishbase lists population doubling time as 4.5-14 years! That is very high...

The concern of them establishing a population in America is real. A species like this is a big candidate. Bright colored when small and becoming duller and boring as they grow. Many aquarists would simply tire of them and release them into the wild. That is why I still see brightly colored goldfish swimming in the Potomac...

The biggest thing would be to study temperature tolerance. Then determine if they are usable as an algae control method and then work on producing triploid fish like they have with grass carp. Whether anyone would ever take the time and effort to do such a thing? I doubt it...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass