Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
I've been hand feeding my BG & LMB fingerlings a product called Omega One Pond Sticks, I bought at an aquarium store.

It is a floating feed. I feed them every night between 7-8pm. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks.

Neither the BG or LMB are too interested in this feed, as far as I can tell. I've alot of sticklebacks that love the stuff, though, and as soon as it's soft enough they tear into it.

I'm thinking of switching to Purina Aquamax 500, because of what I've read here. Would this be a good choice for my fingerlings? Any better choices, perhaps?

Other than to just keep feeding, and always at the same time & place, is there any other tips to spur my fish into feeding?

Thanks,

Jeff

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
AM is good. There are different sizes 400 , 500 , 600. See chart and get the size you need.

http://aquamax.purinamills.com/aquamaxproductlist.pdf

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
eric is right I have tried other brands and I would stick with either aquamax or silvercup.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Aquamax or Game fish chow are both good feeds. It all depends on what you are wanting to spend. I feed aquamax 500 in all my feeders and even the small 3-4" Bluegill will eat it. Have you thought about buying a feeder to make sure that they get feed a couple of times a day in the same spot. Im sure there are days when you just can't find the time to feed them or forget. This might help spur there feeding habits.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
For price, bang for the buck, and international respect, I go with EWOS. Our Norwegian member should know them well. I personally think Purina is a rip off. But here in the US, it sells. The world, EWOS is tops.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: Jeffrey D.
I've been hand feeding my BG & LMB fingerlings a product called Omega One Pond Sticks, I bought at an aquarium store.

It is a floating feed. I feed them every night between 7-8pm. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks.

Neither the BG or LMB are too interested in this feed, as far as I can tell. I've alot of sticklebacks that love the stuff, though, and as soon as it's soft enough they tear into it.

I'm thinking of switching to Purina Aquamax 500, because of what I've read here. Would this be a good choice for my fingerlings? Any better choices, perhaps?

Other than to just keep feeding, and always at the same time & place, is there any other tips to spur my fish into feeding?

Thanks,

Jeff

LMB are pretty hard to feed train. BG are just the opposite. I've never seen any feed they didn't eat well. Give them a few more days, and I'll bet they finally learn to eat the food. Of course the fish are better off eating a feed that's sized appropriately, and has a decent protein analysis. If they have good habitat, they will do fine without feed. Since small ponds are usually pretty limited in available forage, feeding can help them grow much faster and larger.

J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
I bought 50lbs of Aquamax 500 yesterday.

I've started the slow switch from the Omega One Pond Sticks to that. Right now they don't seem interested in either, very much, but atleast they eat all the Omega One, so far.

Once that's gone they'll have to eat the Aquamax until it's used up. I imagine if they're hungery enough they'de eat peanut butter sandwiches if I threw them out there.

Maybe they have plenty of food available in the pond, now. I'll keep it up to see if they get used to it.

Jsand13, I haven't thought about a feeder, atleast yet. I only have 160 BG & 20 LMB (1/4 acre pond). Right now a small handful is more than enough.

J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
I'll add, I noticed something curious about the Aquamax feed.

When I feed the fish, I turn off the diffuser by the dock(where I feed them). My thinking is it'll be a signal for them it's "food time".

I have a very light film of ? that moves in quickly over the water's surface when the difuser is off. Within minutes. I'm not concerned about the film, I believe it's nothing sinister.

Anyways, when I throw the Omega One in the water nothing at all happens to the film, but when I throw the Aquamax in the water the film is instantly repelled away from the food. About a 2-3ft circle around the food.

The feed must contain something that has an effect on the film.

Not important, but very curious to me.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Fish oil.

J
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
J
Well, there I go. Thanks Ewest.

Suprising how fast it repels the film once it hits the water.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Jeffrey D.
I bought 50lbs of Aquamax 500 yesterday.

I've started the slow switch from the Omega One Pond Sticks to that. Right now they don't seem interested in either, very much, but atleast they eat all the Omega One, so far.

Once that's gone they'll have to eat the Aquamax until it's used up. I imagine if they're hungery enough they'de eat peanut butter sandwiches if I threw them out there.

Maybe they have plenty of food available in the pond, now. I'll keep it up to see if they get used to it.

Jsand13, I haven't thought about a feeder, atleast yet. I only have 160 BG & 20 LMB (1/4 acre pond). Right now a small handful is more than enough.

Hi Jeff

I like hand feeding - more efficient and IMO more fun - keep doing it while you can - you'll need that feeder sooner or later to take care of your increasing population. Condello taught me a pretty cool trick - once you get a few bruiser BullGills interested, you can actually lead them and get them to rise. Watching 12" BG rise to a pellet and take it down so gingerly is a treat.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

M
Fingerling
Fingerling
M
I have been feeding by hand for a couple of years. My feedstores don't carry the gamefish food, so I feed floating catfish food. My BG seem to eat it, but yesterday I was watching and many of them would suck it in and spit it out. Any of you seen this before?

L
L
My BG do the same thing they suck on it and take it down in the water then spit it out. I think it is just too hard and as it softens up they eat it.

Living hard, dying youg and never looking back.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Martin Brown
I have been feeding by hand for a couple of years. My feedstores don't carry the gamefish food, so I feed floating catfish food. My BG seem to eat it, but yesterday I was watching and many of them would suck it in and spit it out. Any of you seen this before?

Martin, I was noticing this on a regular basis when I was feeding Tractor Supply's Farm Pond Fish food. It was rare to see them actually finish a chunk. I switched to a Burris high protein feed and that behavior stopped. I know that a lot of folks here agree that some fish just don't like to eat the pellets while they're still hard and suspect that could have been the case in my pond. But switching to a good quality food seemed to make all the difference and my fish now hammer it.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM