Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,940
Members18,497
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,496
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
15 members (ewest, Jward87, Willowwood, Lumberman1985, gautprod, Boondoggle, Sunil, Justin W, Jadog, Augie, Theo Gallus, phinfan, catscratch, Don Kennedy, FishinRod), 773 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219764 06/02/10 09:13 AM
W
wmaurer Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have a 1/2 acre pond that has dpths ranging from 4' to 12'. It has southern naiad in it. I would guess that 50% of the pond is covered(submerged)with it.

I am thinking about using WeedPlex Pro help control it and I would like to treat 3-4 spots/areas of the pond at a time (to prevent oxygen depletion).

How strong of a solution would you make with WeedPlex Pro? What is the best way to apply this? Do you just mix it with water and use a sprayer to apply to the pond?

Thanks for any help.

wmaurer #219916 06/03/10 08:14 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
wmauarer,

Welcome to Pond Boss. Somehow your question has slipped past everybody. Southern naiad (bushy pondweed) is not something I have any experience with. But, hopefully putting this back up near the top will attract one of our weed experts.

Again, welcome.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 06/03/10 10:01 AM.

ewest #220052 06/03/10 07:54 PM
W
wmaurer Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I did read the label and hopefully applied enough to the areas I am trying to start with. The label on the front says the 32oz make 100 gallons of solution...So I mixed 8oz with 25 gallons of water in my sprayer. Then I went to four different areas of the pond and sprayed it out. But the label seemed vague to me...Maybe I am looking for more exact directions?!

After 24 hours the primrose I had has taken a hit and starting to turn brown. The southern naiad has not had any visible difference.

Does having a bottom aerator/diffusers make a difference when applying herbicide? Does the water movement lessen the effect the herbicide has if you are trying to treat certain areas? Does the aerator need to be turned off or should you plan to just leave it on and treat the entire pond?

wmaurer #220056 06/03/10 08:21 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Does having a bottom aerator/diffusers make a difference when applying herbicide? -- yes it can

Does the water movement lessen the effect the herbicide has if you are trying to treat certain areas? -- yes it can

Does the aerator need to be turned off -- no but it should be considered - possibly moved.

...or should you plan to just leave it on and treat the entire pond -- no as you could kill all the plants including the plankton and cause a DO crash killing your fish?

ewest #224019 06/29/10 12:38 PM
W
wmaurer Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I finished putting out the bottle of Weed PlexPro and had minimal results. The shallow end showed some clearing, but the deep end of the pond showed nothing.

I finally decided to spend a day doing manual removal. I used a raft and a rake and started pulling out naiad from the deep end. It came out easy and was like pulling in a huge rope! For the shallow end I used an old homemade rebar ladder, rope, and tractor. I would walk out the ladder, drop it in, and pull it out with the tractor.

I cleared out most of the pond and after it dried on the pond's edge I moved it to the backside of the pond with the tractor. I ended up with what appeared to be 15 yard dump truck load of dried bushy pond weed.

The pond looked so much better the next day! I added one small bottle of 'black out' to help restrict some sun light and prevent regrowth. But the black out still leaves the water fairly clear.

After a few days I can already see some spots of the naiad reaching the surface again in the deep end. Looks like it is time for more manual labor! It either grows very fast or some if it has come loose from all the other removal. But I have also noticed a small algae bloom starting and hoping for more. I guess taking out that much naiad has finally opened up nutrients for something else.

How fast can naiad grow? Height in inches per day?

Any suggestions? Comments?

wmaurer #224026 06/29/10 02:12 PM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Have you given any thought to buying some grass carp? About ten would do if you have 50% coverage. It is much safer at this time of the year than trying to use herbicides, especially if you are unfamiliar with them. I have never used weedplex, but diquat of any name is very sensitive to mud so if you stir any up while aplying you will neutralize it. You also must apply it at the proper depths the weeds are growing and in proper fashion as to not kill too much at one time or you may also kill your fish.

-HH

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I think you will be fighting an uphill battle trying to remove it manually without putting some type of herbicide or biological control with it. And yes, take one plant out of the nutrient food line, something else usually takes it place. I cannot beleive how fast naiad grows and gets dense. Kind of a new plant around here, but I am seeing more and more of it. Maybe maually pull it, then herbicide, then add some carp for good measure. This could be a long term solution. Unless you completely kill it off with a slow release fluridone product, it will return the way you are working it now. The aerator is actually working against you also.

W
wmaurer Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I put in two grass carp back in January. I only put in two because at the time I did not have any kind of vegetation problem. I added 5 lbs of tilapia at the end of April, but I don't know if they will help out with the naiad.

Weedplex Pro...I was concerned about how to apply it as you can see from my first post in this thread. The label only tells you that the container 'Makes 100 gallons'. There are no directions on how to apply it!?

Do you think more tilapia would maybe help? I have a minnow pond that I put a few tilapia in and they have raised twice already. I would estimate that I have a ton of tilapia that are just over 2" and the second hatch are around 1". I plan to move them to my big pond within the next week.

Thanks for the help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:16 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM
What did you do at your pond today?