Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 831 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
squeeky #223720 06/27/10 01:11 PM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Squeeky - What other plants contain urushiol?

RAH #223724 06/27/10 02:25 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
Squeeky - What other plants contain urushiol?

Poison Oak and Poison Sumac

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #223750 06/27/10 07:02 PM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Not sure if we have either of these two locally. They must be related plants?

RAH #223752 06/27/10 07:19 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yes, they are all related, they are in the genus Toxicodendron. I have attempted to grow two species of trees in that genus, Toxicodendron vernicifluum and Toxicodendron potaninii. My largest one is getting close to my height.

From wikipedia
Lacquer Tree or Varnish Tree (Toxicodendron vernicifluum or Rhus verniciflua) grows in Asia, especially China and Japan. Growing up to 20 m tall, its sap produces an extremely durable lacquer. The leaves have 7–19 leaflets (most often 11–13). The sap contains the allergenic oil, urushiol. Urushiol gets its name from this species which in Japanese is called Urushi. Other names for this species include Japanese lacquer tree, Japanese Varnish Tree and Japanese Sumac

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
Beaver Boy #223754 06/27/10 07:38 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I had that a zillion times, especially when I was property manager on 105 acres that was loaded with poison oak. Each time I got it was less and less until I just built up a resistance to it. Now it barely does nothing. I had a coworker that was using his cable pulling gloves to pull a lot of it out. Then he loaned same gloves to a Mexican kid. Just nailed him, everywhere especially his face, he missed three weeks of work. Worst I ever saw was a guy on a cleanup crew who had this not so brilliant idea to burn it. Breathe deep, the gathering gloom, watch light fade from every room. I thought he was going to go into respiratory arrest. I tried not to laugh in his face. That Bruce patch is kid stuff. Just cover it with Calamine and go fishing. Leaves of three, let it be. I used to get a lot of eradication calls on it, not so many anymore. DIY with specifically made products.

squeeky #223766 06/27/10 08:19 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have to ask. Bruce what remedy are you going to try?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a very close acquaintance with that stuff.

Starch water dries it and steroids help a bunch. James Holt is right about the zanfel.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker

Does anyone know how one comes into contact with the urushiol? Can you walk through a patch and have leaves brush a hand or leg and become affected - or does one have to break a stem or leaf and have the sap come into contact with the skin? I guess my question is whether urushiol exists on leaves and stems...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

teehjaeh57 #223784 06/27/10 10:12 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Does anyone know how one comes into contact with the urushiol? Can you walk through a patch and have leaves brush a hand or leg and become affected - or does one have to break a stem or leaf and have the sap come into contact with the skin? I guess my question is whether urushiol exists on leaves and stems...

The urushiol unfortunately is on the leaves, stems, and roots. It is sticky. It will last for a long time on anything it transfers to -- like clothing, tools, or animal fur. It transfers really easily. Whatever you do -- don't ever burn it. The oil will transfer with the smoke, and cause serious mouth and throat problems. My mother was extremely sensitive to it. My two sons are quite sensitive to it. It has minimal effect on me for some reason. My father was the same, until he was in his late 50s.

We mostly just have poison ivy east of the Mississippi. But, it has a number of forms, from low lying leaves, to huge ropes that entwine massive trees. Learn all the forms.

Ken

P.S. If you think you have come in contact with it, or your pet has been in contact with it, get some Fels-Naptha soap. As soon as possible, wash thoroughly in cold water. I always keep a bar on the deepsink in the basement. I may be far more sensitive than I think I am because I do wash regularly with this nasty old soap when I've come in from bush hogging, weed whacking, pulling weeds, picking berries, etc.

Last edited by catmandoo; 06/27/10 10:19 PM. Reason: P.S.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
catmandoo #223787 06/27/10 10:30 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Thanks Ken, great advice. My kids have learned to ID it well, we get VERY close to it and I demonstrate it's characteristics with a stick - red stems, notched leaf, groups of three leaves. Unfortunately our spread also has many patches. I've been spot spraying it in high traffic areas but am not confident I'm doing much to abate it's spreading.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

teehjaeh57 #223830 06/28/10 08:36 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
My home remedy, break open the the infected area so the pus is on the surface of the skin, Use something like a popsicle stick or dull side of a knife. Pour hydrogen peroxide on the area and let it dry. Then pour rubbing alcohol on and let it dry, This will stop the itching and very quickly dry it up. It will be cleared up in a couple of days. This has kept me from going to the doctor for years

Bill

Last edited by Bill Duggan; 06/28/10 08:40 AM.
Bill Duggan #223843 06/28/10 10:50 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Bruce, that would be very unusual to have poison ivy just in that area. You have Shingles my friend, not poison ivy. I would bet my unbuilt pond on it. Go see your PCP.

gallop #223851 06/28/10 11:19 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: gallop
Bruce, that would be very unusual to have poison ivy just in that area. You have Shingles my friend, not poison ivy. I would bet my unbuilt pond on it. Go see your PCP.

+1 on the shingles diagnosis.

3 Ponds: 8.5 acres, 1.5 acres, 0.5 acres
teehjaeh57 #223857 06/28/10 11:41 AM
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
I hate poison Ivy. I'm one of those ridiculous allergic people that if you mention that it exists within a 5 mile radius of where i am currently standing, Likely that i will break out.

A few years back someone had a lawn-refuse fire next door to me and apparently i inhaled it (the only answer the allergist and dermatologist could give me...yeah i had it bad....). Although i don't know if that is accurate, i will tell you that they both agreed on one thing, that you cannot personally spread the actual poison ivy rash yourself once you have gotten the oil off of your skin.

People think it is "contagious" like that but it isn't. According to them, the "spreading" is a result of 2 things:
1) it's an infection that is spreading, it likely came from a few of the broken blisters, and seems to crawl out from the area slowly in people who scratch a lot.
2) you can get the rash in different strengths and severity at the same time. Like you get nasty P.Ivy on your hands, then no so bad on your neck (from wiping sweat away or something). The hands can show up days even weeks before the neck will, even though you got both cases at the exact same time.

Personally i take a ridiculously hot shower, and try not to itch. If it is localized, i'll take the wife's blowdryer, set it to hot, and point it at the affected area for a minute just until the pain is too much to bear. That dries it up for good. Careful, though, i hear that can cause nerve damage (which explains a lot!)

Finally....I agree that there aren't the right kind or concentration of blisters for PI. Also....no clue what shingles looks like. Hope you feel better, Bruce.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
teehjaeh57 #223858 06/28/10 11:42 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My behavior begged for poison ivy irritation. There were several 15 foot vines of PI in a fairly tight area. They were creeping up some big cottonwood trees. I was shirtless, and was bending over to grab and twist the base of the PI stems with a Vice-Grip (smart, eh?)...So my back definitely came in contact with some of the ivy.

What do I do with the vice-grips now? Just wash in soapy water? They've been bouncing around the floor of my truck for a few days now with that oil on them.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Yeah, a mild detergent usually does the trick for me. But there is a special soap at your local drugstore that specifically breaks down that oil. Technu? Tenchu? Don't remember exactly how to spell or pronounce it but you'll see it on the shelf at walgreens, CVS, etc.

Yeah, lol....sounds like you were begging for poison ivy.

The rash can look different on all parts of your body, like i get itty bitty tiny blisters in the finger webbing, huge puss-filled ones on my forearms, and it just looks like hives or mosquito bites on the outsides of the elbows or tops of knees. and as i understand it eveyone's looks a little different. So even when we say it doesn't look like it, we could all be very wrong. My physician doesn't believe me that that's what i have sometimes when i ask for the roids, and asks for a second opinion. But the dermatologist at this point has learned that when he sees my name on the appt list, get the roids ready...thats what the problem is.

Last edited by skinnybass; 06/28/10 11:51 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
My behavior begged for poison ivy irritation. There were several 15 foot vines of PI in a fairly tight area. They were creeping up some big cottonwood trees. I was shirtless, and was bending over to grab and twist the base of the PI stems with a Vice-Grip (smart, eh?)...So my back definitely came in contact with some of the ivy.

What do I do with the vice-grips now? Just wash in soapy water? They've been bouncing around the floor of my truck for a few days now with that oil on them.

I only use chemicals as a last resort, but for poison ivy, chemicals are one of only two ways I know of getting rid of the darn stuff. Ortho makes a very effective product product called Brush-B-Gone. When sprayed on the leaves, it makes its way all the way to the roots, and will kill a pretty large area of poison ivy. The root systems are very extensive and propate if cut. The other effective way to get rid of it is with goats. They love to eat it, and it doesn't affect them.

As for the vice grips, I'd used diposable gloves to get them out of the truck. Then spray them down with a good detergent, or wash them in good soapy COLD water, wipe them off with paper towels, and then lubricate them well.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
catmandoo #223868 06/28/10 12:19 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Shirtless at the Quarry? Trying to impress your landscaper? Jeesh - BSKI, JHAP - calling reinforcements here - we simply cannot allow this hanging curveball to get past us! Bruce must be dealt with appropriately!

teehjaeh57 #223875 06/28/10 01:17 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bruce:

I agree with Ken about using latex gloves to handle the vise-grips, but don't forget to wash where they were bouncing around in the truck. You could have transferred some of the oil to the truck.........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
squeeky #223979 06/29/10 07:30 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Given the history of poison ivy touching that EXACT spot, I will recant the Herpes Zoster diagnosis. History is everything.

Also, please ignore the bill in the mailbox smile

gallop #223980 06/29/10 07:39 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
LOL. laugh

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
gallop #223982 06/29/10 07:47 AM
M
M
I keep a bottle of Oak-N-Ivy brand product called tecnu outdoor skin cleanser. If I have been in contact with the poison oak or ivy I wash the oil off with the tecnu. Works very well if used promptly.

I quite often have to throw away a perfectly good pair of leather gloves due to contamination of the oils. Small price to pay.

james holt #223988 06/29/10 08:10 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: james holt
Bruce you can get a product at the pharmacy called zanfel. It is a special soap that will keep the rash from spreading and will remove the itch. It will also help to dry the rash up. It is the best treatment I know of and is not painful except to your wallet. A one ounce tube will run you about twenty bucks.

That's stuff does help, but only temporarily. Zanfel is approximately the same cost as a copay for a doctor to shoot you up with steroids (Prednisone).

Within a day or two the rash starts subsiding and within five days its pretty much gone. I've had to do this twice in the past ten years.

Mark Wagley #224007 06/29/10 10:47 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Mark Wagley
I keep a bottle of Oak-N-Ivy brand product called tecnu outdoor skin cleanser. If I have been in contact with the poison oak or ivy I wash the oil off with the tecnu. Works very well if used promptly.

I quite often have to throw away a perfectly good pair of leather gloves due to contamination of the oils. Small price to pay.

A huge plus one. I'm hyper allergic to Poison Oak/Ivy. The Tecnu works great.

Also you can pre-apply a product called Ivy Block, it works great as well. I wear disposal coveralls and throw away gloves anytime I know I'm going to be working around Poison Oak.

I have found using the the pre-block, the disposable clothes and then washing after with Tencu works great.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Itchy, burning. Right under my right shoulder blade.

Thank goodness you clarified. I feared that was a picture of your butt! grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images