Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, catscratch, Ponderific2024), 1,056 guests, and 153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great, so much for breakfast. sick

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Some snails are parasite vectors, but does that mean all snails are parasite vectors? If I knew which ones (if any) didn't transmit parasites, I think they would be a good addition to the forage base. Not knowing, all of them are molluska non grata in my pond. laugh

bobad #221144 06/10/10 12:54 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sounds like a good question for Commander Cody.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
bobad #221145 06/10/10 12:54 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: bobad
Some snails are parasite vectors, but does that mean all snails are parasite vectors? If I knew which ones (if any) didn't transmit parasites, I think they would be a good addition to the forage base. Not knowing, all of them are molluska non grata in my pond. laugh

http://www.blm.gov/or/plans/surveyandmanage/Field_Guide/Aquatic_Mollusk/Aquatic_Guide.pdf

PAUL
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Wow, great source Paul.

I also PM'd Bill Cody and alerted him to this thread.

I'm interested in his take on snails and parasites.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As far as I know most all, if not all aquatic snails are susceptable hosts to the common grub (white - yellow) and black spot fish parasites. There are also parasites unique to just primailiy snails. One reference estimated about 20% of all freshwater fish feed at one time or another on snails although only a few fish species eat snails on a regular basis - suckers, yellow perch, sheepshead, pumpkinseed, redear, whitefish. Thinner shelled snails are more readily consumed. Ducks and shorebirds eat snails. Several invertebrates consume snails - probably mostly young ones and the eggs.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thanks Bill!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

K
K
Is there a way to get rid of them? Here in WI I haven't seen redear. I have a ton of snails that showed up on there own. I have hybrid bluegill, perch, crappie, walleye, catfish, and large mouth bass, but no redear. Is there some other way to get rid of them?

KENZ #222083 06/16/10 08:52 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Kenz, can you stock RES or is there a prohibition against them in WI? If there's no legal problem, I'd suggest that you consider adding some and that may help you get the situation into a better balance. RES are probably pretty compatible with the mix of fish you have right now.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I drained a pond that was totally infest with snails. A good 2-3 inches of dead shells on the bottom, everywhere. The fish were loaded with parasites, and I thinks when someone transferred the fish from that pond to my big pond I got infested as well. When I refill this pond after I rennovate it, RES go in, and not snails. Somehow I think the snails will get there anyway. And this was a manmade former swimming hole. I was scooping up wheelbarrow loads full.

Ducks will eat them, sometimes. Mainly pregnant females to augment thier vegetative diet with protein for egg and embryo developement. And shorebirds will eat them, transfer parasites and the snails when then pass them on to fish. Look at that S car go!

K
K
Do RES reproduce real fast? I will have to check if I can have them in WI. I'm betting not since the fish farms I deal with do not have them.

KENZ #222095 06/16/10 09:31 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No, I don't believe they do typically. That's what makes them a good fish for applications like snail control, but a fairly bad fish for use as a forage base for other predators.

Todd La Neve

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
How do RES do that far north in Wisconsin?

Omaha #222097 06/16/10 09:36 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Now you're asking questions I have absolutely NO idea about! I'll defer to someone who actually knows what they're talking about when it comes to fish! That said, I know they survive just fine here in WV and, while we don't get as cold as WI typically does, we have total freeze up here often in the winter, so my guess would be that they'd probably do okay that far north.

Todd La Neve

K
K
The winter before last one morning we had -32 below, that's temp not wind chill. I wonder if I could find some adult fish if they make they make it at least I'll have a few months of them eating snails. I'm going to call some fish farms in the area to see if I can order some. Unfortunatly it might be to late to get them this year anymore.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
RES are pretty hardy. I know they prefer slightly cooler water temps than bg. But boy are they crummy breeders. They are my favorite sunfish/bluegill, and yet I have so few in my ponds. But I have some big ones, getting to 2 lbs. Of course I would check with my local F and G or hatcheries and fish farms for the best advice as how they would fare in colder climates. I plant them in every single pond I plant. And they are my most requested fish. Why? They tend to get big, almost never overpopulate and stunt, and are great fighters. But after a few years you just don't catch many anymore. I have a pond over 10 years old, that planted equal numbers of them and bg, and today I catch 1 or 2 RES for every 98 or 99 bg. I'm heading there today. Taking out more bg, c and r lmb and res.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good real world feedback, PF.

Todd La Neve

KENZ #222109 06/16/10 10:05 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Kenz, as long as they're permitted, you might just want to give them a shot at your place. I honestly don't know how long it will take them to make an impact on your snail population or how many would be advisable for you to stock in your particular circumstances, but someone here can no doubt make a good suggestion. Since you have established predator fish, you may want to go with slightly larger RES so they don't become food as soon as they hit the water!

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you are too far north for RES, which is a good possibility, that or they are just plain illegal to stock. You can consider stocking PS(pumpkinseed sunfish). Both species are closely related... PS don't reach the massive sizes RES do, but they will grow to 8"-10" and like RES, have pharyngeal teeth and are capable of crushing snail shells and feeding on them. PS reproduce more readily than RES and can over populate, but they are a viable option for control of snails in northern ponds where RES are not an option. They just need to be managed like BG to make sure they don't overpopulate.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I have been trying to find out info on Fresh Water Drum. As I believe they eat snails as well, and I am sure they would make it up there.

It may be worth looking into. I am considering putting some in a pond just to see how they react.

Thanks

K
K
Checked with a couple of fish farms and was told we are too far north for RES. One guy said hybrid bluegills will eat snails also and said to stock more. I don't know if he was trying to get rid of some fish or if this is true. I already have quite a few hybrids. I don't know if I would want fresh water drum. I know a lake that is over run with them.

KENZ #222520 06/18/10 04:39 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Any species of sunfish will eat snails... However, they tend to be the smallest and softest shelled varieties. Only RES and PS have the pharyngeal teeth to crush bigger harder shelled varieties. Hybrids of RES and PS such as a BGxRES or GSFxRES cross may get the RES's genetics of more developed pharyngeal teeth and be able to eat larger snails. However, most HBG sold are GSFxBG... So if neither parent species is adapted to feeding on snails, why would their hybrid be?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
How long does it take for RES to start feeding on snails? I but mine in back in December and yesterday I noticed many snails in my pond. I am thinking there are more than they can eat or maybe they do not like them.

HBG apparently do not care for them either, as my pond is loaded with them and hit my bait as soon as it hits the water, yet the snails by the shore are still there.

Just kind of curious on this.

Thanks

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Lots of factors involved... The density and size of RES, the species of snails in your pond and the availability of other preferred foods come to mind.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
What do RES prefer to eat?

What is the easiest way to catch of of them?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...