Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,783
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,506
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Steve Clubb, FireIsHot), 1,065 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222579 06/19/10 01:15 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
This is something I haven't seen on the forum in my limited time on here and don't recall ever seeing it in the archives either. I was wondering what kind of set up you all use for fishing from the shore...

Many of the ponds I fish are small enough that they can be efficiently fished from the shore. Even when I go out on smaller boats like a john boat or canoe, I still like this setup. I don't just use this setup for fishing ponds, but also like it for fishing more remote areas that I hike in to.

It's basically a back pack with compartments that hold different tackle boxes and soft sided bait binders.

Since 90% of the fishing I do is with artificials, most of my tackle space is dedicated to them, but I do carry some gear for fishing live bait. Depending on your style of fishing, you could tweak the set up to your preferred fishing style. I've had this setup for about 2 years and it has worked very well for me.

There are two main compartments stacked on top of each other.

The top compartment holds three 3600 size tackle boxes. In them I keep different style crankbaits and top water plugs.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The bottom main compartment holds 1 3600 size tackle box and a 3600 size soft side bait binder. In the tackle box I keep my jigs, jig heads and a small collection of buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. In the 3600 binder I keep soft plastics and worm hooks.

In the upper smaller compartment I keep a double sided tackle box. In it I have a large assortment of UL soft plastics, jigheads, spinners and misc hooks.

In the lower small compartment I keep a mix of more soft plastics of different varieties.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
There are 3 loose pockets on the backpack, one on the right, left and back.

I keep some live bait hooks, swivels and snaps in the rear pocket.

I keep numerous types of weights in the right pocket, bullet style, split shot, etc.

In the left pocket I have another smaller sized double sided tackle box. In it I keep different size and style jigheads, more hook styles, swivels and snaps.

There is also a small waterproof compartment on the upper left side that I like to keep my wallet, cell phone and other items to don't want getting wet.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
There is also a pocket to hold a pair of pliers.

As I use up items in the setup, I replenish them from my main fishing tackle supply. Although the tackle setup doesn't have everything I could possibly need, it has most of what I need for most small water body fishing. It's small enough to take with me on hikes and walks around the pond. It's compact enough to fit in a canoe on a float trip or a paddle around the pond.

Anyone else use a similar setup? What setup do you all use for fishing your ponds from shore or other BOWs?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You are disgustingly organized. A sure sign of mental illness.

I generally only fish my own ponds and get there on a 4 wheeler. I have 9 or so tackle boxes with waaay too much stuff. I can carry the needed junk in the plastic coke boxes that I strap onto the bike(s).

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's a great setup, Travis! Really nicely thought out and organized. I don't have anything that squared away as, like Dave, I primarily fish my own place. I do keep a smaller bag - about the size of a typical toaster - with a shoulder strap that I have used a lot when fishing elsewhere, including wadefishing in some local creeks and streams. I keep a couple of the smaller plastic boxes like your 3600 series, but am not sure what size they are. One has hard baits - topwaters, cranks, buzzbaits - and the and the other has a smaller assortment of soft plastics and hooks, weights, swivels, etc. I also have room to toss in a few bags of larger soft plastics. There's also a pair of hook extractors, EMT style scissors, and a lanyard I bought at Cabela's or some such place that has a variety of things on it - hook sharpener, nail clipper style thing for cutting line, and some other miscellaneous tools that I have never used. The whole thing doesn't probably weigh more than a few pounds, so it's not even noticeably on a long day of wading. I like that setup you put together, though. Really sharp!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Dude, amazing - I JUST organized a small tackle bag for everything needed at the ponds, and was pretty proud of my efforts, until I saw your rigging. Nicely done!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
You are disgustingly organized. A sure sign of mental illness.

I used to just throw stuff as I bought it into a 5 gallon bucket and carry it around with me. After a couple months of fishing it was such a mess. I'd forget I even had stuff and had doubles and triples of the same thing. So I finally broke down and said I gotta stop this and organized my stuff. Now that I have the set up, I am really happy with it.

If I am really hiking far or know the exact type of fishing I will be doing, I also have a fanny pack set up that is super light weight. The back pack is a bit bulky, so sometimes I just can't drag that much junk along.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
And what is so wrong about having doubles and triples of the same thing. For Dwight and I that's just a starting point.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nicely done and well thought out Travis.

I use something like Todd does, it holds 4 or so of the 3600's and has some other compartments, and goes over one shoulder.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
If you're ever flyfishing I have used this during my hikes and fishing streams/rivers in MT over the Summer and highly recommend it

http://www.fishpondusa.com/waterdance.cfm

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
CJB I have a similar sized bag that holds four 3600 boxes and has tons of pockets and mesh holders. This bag is always in the trunk of my car (You never know when the opportunity will present itself). Problem is that a unit of this size can become a hassle when your trudging through woods and standing in bulrushes or worse yet mud.

Thats why I dug out my backpack from college and purchased two smaller sized boxes that I'll load with everything I need for each particular pattern I'm fishing.

This way I am more mobile and there is a heck of a lot less sorting. I fish plastic worms, flukes, etc. I also carry several different "search" lures if I can't take them on my usual finesse tactics.

A white spinnerbait, chartreuse and black/blue or black/red are the main search lures. However there are certain times that I will fish a floating crankbait or Zara spook.

The two separate bags keep me a lot more organized. I keep a pouch for spent worms or fishing line...basically a waste basket. Then I have another area set up for good plastics or lures that need to be filed back in the main box.

Now if I could build a stable and protected sheath for a spare two-piece on my pack I'd be set.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Not to hijack, but CJB do you really fish that many crankbaits from the shore or at all for that matter?

I know the tour guys fish crankbaits all the time, but this is when they have miles of water to cover.

Are you covering that much water out East or am I missing the boat on the hard bodies and they are more productive then I realize?

I figure that I can catch almost any species of fish at any time of the year with some sort of finesse plastic. I guess that's what keeps me coming back to them time and time again.

Although recently I have been taking the lures I wouldn't normally touch and take them to very productive waters (Meaning I know they are there and where they're going to be). This is where I really learn how to use them and sometimes I end up liking them, but other wise I just move them out of the trunk bag and buy more plastics.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Very cool Travis. I have a regular backpack I'll toss some things into if I think I'm going to be doing some hiking. Other than that I have a Craftsman tool bag I toss stuff into. Not very big though, so I wouldn't be able to fit all that you're able to in there. But I don't own a lot of stuff yet. Generally, as long as I have a can of worms, pair of pliers and a few jigs on me I'm set.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Where's the cooler compartment for adult beverages?
Also, we know you have a gun hidden in there somewhere. wink

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
disgustingly organized. I throw a few Academy bags with hooks, flies,jigs, sinkers, floats and what have you in the back of the buggy. THEN spend would be quality fishing time digging for them...and yes, there may be 3 of what I want to use back at the house, or storage shed, or car port, or tool shed, or pump house............

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You're right Randy. He's cluttered up his beer hauler with all of that technicolor junk.I figure he could get about 8 12 ounce cans and some frozen containers in there. Then stuff some corks, sinkers, worms and hooks in his pockets.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I doubt the pistola is in the backpack, too hard to get to quickly....... wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Black Bass
Not to hijack, but CJB do you really fish that many crankbaits from the shore or at all for that matter?

Yeah, I am a crank bait fanatic. Particularly ultra light ones. I am still amazed at how big a fish will nail a little 1.5" crank bait. I also do a lot of fishing for trout in streams. Those little minnow and insect imitating crankbaits are great for that situation. I use crankbaits in finesse situations, when they are slowed down they work quite well, particularly the suspending models.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Originally Posted By: Black Bass

Yeah, I am a crank bait fanatic. Particularly ultra light ones. I am still amazed at how big a fish will nail a little 1.5" crank bait. I also do a lot of fishing for trout in streams. Those little minnow and insect imitating crankbaits are great for that situation. I use crankbaits in finesse situations, when they are slowed down they work quite well, particularly the suspending models.

Interesting...Now that I actually think about it the only crankbaits I've caught fish on have been small, either a Nano minnow or a small imitation of a YP, GS or LMB. Definitely something I'll have to add to the repetoire. Thanks Travis.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I don't lug something like that around a pond, it stays in the car. I use 2 small boxes that fit a few baits each and fit in my cargo pants/shorts pockets that have the selection I want that day. I just choose baits for my target fish and fishing conditions. Usually a small selection of micro cranks, 1/8oz spinnerbaits, and some jigs/beetlespins for the BG since I almost always choose my spincast setup with 6-8# line. My favorite bait for years has been a Rebel Wee Crawfish in Cajun Crawdad or Ditch Brown, LMB just seem to love them.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffreythree
My favorite bait for years has been a Rebel Wee Crawfish in Cajun Crawdad or Ditch Brown, LMB just seem to love them.

HA! I threw one in the Traveling Lure Box.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I've got a couple in my tackle set up. You can see them in the upper left corner of the first 3600 tackle box. One is a shallow diver and another is a deep diver. That deep diver is great for bouncing off rocks for smallies.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM