Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,300
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
16 members (FishinRod, Joe7328, Fishingadventure, Zep, JoshMI, Knobber, Bill Cody, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, nvcdl, DrewSh, DPSMESA, catscratch, Sunil, cgoetz1, tim k), 969 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nickp Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Im located in CT and we moved last winter from TX.

I remember growing up fishing for green sunfish and texas cichlids all the time. I miss those huge 1.5pound green sunfish on a good 1.5in white grub and jighead on a light pole.

Needless to say we have a pond in the back yard (figure 8 shape with one side larger then the other) the pond is 25feet wideand about 50 feet long with a max depth of about 4-5feet. I currently have caught and disspossed of 23 common carp (2in-29in) i believe that was all of the carp as i havent caught any in over 4months via castnet or minnow trap. Ive caught smallmouth bass from 2-19in long but only 40 or so within this year(not disposed of). A couple hundred bluegill and i believe i have gotten rid of the population with the help of the smallmouth bass- no largemouths in here yet.No intentions for it either.I removed a number of bullheads as well.

Theres no shiners what so ever and tons of crayfish. Ive thrown rockwork and crayfish in there from day one. Frog's are supplied as well. The pond is spring fed and overflows at one end into a stream that goes into a discusting pond a mile away (public pond). My water is quite clear and id say you can see almost all the way down in the deepest parts. I swim the pond weekly during the summer to scour for fish that shouldnt be there and ive managed to name almost every large smallmouth in there.

I would like to stock bowfin and green sunfish. I have no idea where i can get these fish. I had bowfin fry last year from a friend on a fish board but i lost all of them whilst i was on vacation in MA due to water quality problems and jumping the tank.

Any advice or locations to buy said fish is GREATLY apprecciated!

Same game, new game board.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
nickp,

Welcome to the Forum and hopefully you will remain a Texan at heart. If you can not find fish locally, and that's usually the best choice due to acclimation of the fish, there are some southern dealers who will ship via air freight to your door. One of those is Dunn's Fish Farm in Ark. www.dunnsfishfarm.com.

Another possibility for you to consider is the GG hybrid BG which reportedly has the aggressiveness of the green sunfish but with much higher growth rates. I'm trying them out myself in a small pond similar in size to yours, about 1/4 acre. In fact, the fish delivery is next week. You can contact them at www.kens-fishfarm.com or maybe Deb, from Ken's, who sometimes frequents this forum will chime in. With an existing predator in the smallmouth bass, you will need to look for larger fish to stock to avoid predation.

A couple of other observations: 1) you probably still have some bullheads and maybe carp and should keep after them and 2) you probably know the Texas chichlids won't survive your winters in CT. I've been trying to find some myself for my Texas ponds buy haven't located a supplier yet. Good luck with your search.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Nick,

I'm not real sure about this, but I don't think green sunfish (GS) will enjoy the growth rates up in ct that they did in tx. You may be disappointed with their size.

My experience with GS has been all bad in my area. Wherever I have run across them, they have always been small... about the size of a half-grown bluegill. Vicious little biters and fighters though.

Bowfin is another unusual choice. They're pretty agressive feeders, and may even attack and harrass larger fish. I don't think you will have a problem with them however, as they are not prolific breeders.

Sorry I got away from your original question, but I have no idea where to get them.

Good luck!

N
nickp Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I figured id grow the fish out overwinter in my fish tanks (im big into native fish and often stock the pond with fry from my smallmouth tank).

My indoor "ponds" (only 300 gallon rubbermaids from Tractor Supply Co.) theres 2 of them and both are virtually empty- both are overfiltered and heated so i should exspect a descent growth rate for said fish.

Bowfin are among my favorite aquarium fish and the breeding colros in males are possibly the best looking fish in North America. I think i will give a try with an order (not looking for a TON of fish). Ive ordered tropical fish online many a time but it seems theres many more tropical fish dealers then north american fish dealers. Im aware the texas cichlids wont live here and i still have 5 or 6 in the indoor pond (just coming into breeding size this spring) i will dump 4 of the fish in there and save a pair for myself. I have recently gotten word of an Oscar (another s.a. cichlid) that will spawn down to 50 degrees F and live down to freezing point (TRULY QUITE THE LINE BREEDING FOR THIS TRAI, hopefully niel will work out any more kinks and give us a tolerant to N.A. weather cichlid.

I havent found a single dealer onlien that sells bulk bowfin. I do ahve one source that is yearly that can get me 20 to a 100 every later spring if anyone would like his name (5 dollars a fish isnt exactly a good deal but hes the only guy i know of)shoot me a pm.

Thanks and i enjoy the site quite a bit! I will be sticking around!

N
nickp Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Posting my setup for wintering fish in 300 gallon tubs for a fellwo member here!

NVM its not working via photobucket.... Please give me your email if youd like to see it THANKS
nick

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Email me photos too, please.

Bruce

bmcondello@bizfunctional.com

Does it look anything like this?

I can post your photo if you'd like.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
nickp,

Yes, I asked for the info...please send photo to meadowlarkponds@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
He should have found them by now since he posted it 8 yrs ago smile

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:52 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Zep - 05/06/24 07:36 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting