Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
4 members (Brandon Larson, Blestfarmpond, Layne, Angler8689), 634 guests, and 143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Quick rundown,
.25 acre pond put in 50 3-6" CNBG July 2009 to start a production pond. no aeration.

Had decent spawn and have been feeding a few thousand yoy that are in the 2-3" range right now at 6 lbs feed per day.

Spring 2010 I got covered up with pondweed and coontail so I dropped in 8oz whitecap April 10th. Saw signs of a second spawn this spring.

The whitcap killed off 80% of the moss withen the first 30 days. Fish and water were fine. Then about 2wks ago I have a pondweed explosion in the pond. It covered about 10-15% withen 5 days. Water went murky at about 12" visability. Next about 5 days ago I guess the Whitecap is still present because the pondweed completely collapsed and went away. Water is still murky, not green, a brownish tint. Fish are still fine. THEN for the last two days we were cloudy and rainy.

Yesterday evening I had 25 ~8" fish and 2 3" CNBG floating. They appeared to have been dead from the day before

Bad luck I guess....

I went out this morning, no new dead fish. I threw out a small handful of food and I had my YOY coming up to get it.

QUESTIONS:
Do you think, I lost a bunch of my YOY based on what I saw floating? I don't mind losing the big ones they can be replaced at .80 cents a piece tomorrow.
Also, Im gonna stop feeding untill my seine net comes in next week and I pull out a bunch of my YOY. This should help the water out.

I would have liked to grow them larger than 2-3" before I transfer them to my larger mature bass ponds but I don't know if I should risk losing them all in the Hot summer.

Any thoughts.

Last edited by chadwickz71; 06/11/10 09:39 AM.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
one more detail, as my luck goes, its cloudy today no sunshine and forecasted to be like this for a few days more. The wind is blowing though.

I wonder if im in the clear yet if I stop feeding and the wind keeps blowing for a days atleast. probably not though, this is my first rodeo with this so don't know what to expect.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is there any way that you could rig up an electric trolling motor with the prop sticking part way out of the water? That would agitate the water, helping to put O2 back into it.

Or run well water into the pond.

Or aerate with a diffuser.

I don't know what resources you have available to put more O2 into there before you seine.

The wind will help a bit, but I'd feel better if you could aerate somehow.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I have a pump but probably will just let it sit and see what happens, due to the location of the pond and my work load right now. One of those deals I guess where i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
well the wind blew 20mph+ today, the sun finally came out.

I went by to take a look and I have about 12-14" visability. It appears that my YOY are fine, they were really looking for some food but I didn't feed them untill I get a game plan on what to do now with this CLOSE call.

Im thinking the mass of decaying moss at its peak of breaking down along with my feeding and short weather change did it.

Im just wondering if I should go on feeding as normal through the hot months and maybe the water quality will improve with the moss decay on the decline.

Or should I move them at 2-3" and take my chances on survival rates in the big lakes they're going in?

What would you do?

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Make up your mind is my best advice,you got some good advice from esshup, but decided to let your pump sitt,and cross fingers do to heavy woork load.
So you either have the time to follow up on the small pond or you don't.
Hard to give you advice on how or where, to spend your time.
Keep a log on the developmente for future management if you have the time.

PAUL
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
wow, if I could touch that post above this it would probably burn my fingers.

Last edited by chadwickz71; 06/11/10 09:25 PM.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chad

I don't think our Norwegian friend meant it in an unfriendly way, but I understand your interpretation.

Why do you think your pondweed blew up so quickly, then crashed as fast? Did you apply more herbicide? It seems odd to me it would explode and implode like that...any clues forum? If whitecap was still doing it's job would the pondweed have grown in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me....but I'm a total novice when it comes to aquatic vegetation.

Have you considered aeration or at least circulation for the forage pond? Do you have a source of irrigation? I would think for a pond that small an aeration system wouldn't be too bad - $800-$1000?

I am sorry to hear about your partial kill - I hope you can find some way to get to the bottom of the pondweed situation and introduce some 02 ASAP. Have you thought about calling Bob?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Absolutely not unfrendliy ment, sorry about that.
It's like that for us all,now and then, we don't have the time, we wish for to put in.
Iff posible when that ocure, try to keep a track or log, on the reasones to avoid, repeating the same next year/season, have saved me some money, and frustrationes.

Again sorry and good luck

Last edited by andedammen; 06/12/10 08:28 AM.

PAUL
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
OKI here we go.
Iff you some how can put your pump in to action wihin time available,I would go that route instead off spending time on colecting/mowing stock,this might cost the loss off the entire stock, but the upside or gain is the experience (the biggest value is the log or outcome of your efforts/input(tools and time spent))
You can stop your intentionaly reason for stocking the 1/4 acre pond now, and move the stck to the bigger pond.
Or you can put in the tools/time available, to turn your original goals with stocking the 1/4 pond, in to a experience, that you can profit on (long term) by just observing as best as you can, nature taking its turns, with minimum interference(input).
I can identiefie with your experience (been there done that), so my post was ment as:Turn a unforseen thing, in to a learning experience, no matter predicteble outcome, even if you don't have any time or tool available.
Your investment (stocking/1/4 pond) will give a long term profit, in this prospectiv.
That was my intntions with my burning post, shearing my thaughts(any) as you requested.
I'w seen a lot of people dropping out in this
(pond or other habitat husbandery) because off what you are experiencing right now, do to lack off recogniseing the value off a failed investment(time/efort spent).

Anyhow If you have a small pond trying to raise forage or other things where you are deepended on recurculate your water I belive the cheapest and most eficiente way to loop water is patented by
Dr. Novak do to its simplicity availability and all over cost (free) a part from the building part (low).
And maybe most important it still does woork biologicaly below 32F/0C. http://www.mankysanke.co.uk/html/anoxic_filtration.html
It is a UK link but the best on the subject, I think, the problem of beeing recogniced as a genius amongst your own has slaughterd
Dr. Novak, in the US, (I'w been reading 1000ends of pages on differente forums on this an are amaced that he is not a nervous wreck by the beating his got, on tha patent.
In Europe an down under this have been wery much welcomed dough.
And the ovner off mankysanke beeing a journalist for populare magazines have made it undersandebale and dereby available for the hobbieist.
So again good luck on the developement no matter what you do or don't keep sharing your thaughts out loud, I will
(but newer to intentionally offend or burn anybody)
I think the link might be of intrest for a lot off the pondmeisters

PAUL
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
No problem andedammen, I probably made it appear I just wanted it to work with no effort from me... lazy route. Not the case though but I have a reason... will get to that shortly.

T57, I have no idea about the weird pondweed growth then dieoff. I put the whitecap in April and Nothing else.

I picked up some fingerling bass and feed from Todd O today and ran it by him also. Basically its my call but if I do keep them in the pond through the summer he advised to back off the feeding. 6lbs/day in .25 acres is a lot for no aeration. I could back it down to 3lbs and just let'em coast through the summer months and take a chance. the pond my have just gotten slam-dunked by the weird pondweed dieoff, me pushing the fish hard with feed, and the 2day rain. It might level out and improve. The payoff is bigger stocker fish with higher survival rates, the risk being losing them all...

Back to my original thoughts about "money/time/effort" expense. My goal here is im doing this for a hobby along with getting our larger lakes on the ranch back up to par as far as stocking goes. We need CNBG in all of them so I need 10000 3-6" fish ruffly. If I can grow my own fish for basically a little time everyday feeding and direct feed cost itself then so be it. I'll save some money and have fun along the way. HOWEVER, if its gonna cost me the same money per fish in the end to grow them my own vs. just making a trip in the A/C down to Overtons then I might as well buy all the fish and not full with it.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Thanks Chad for posting about your experience. I sympathize for your loss of the larger bluegill. I know exactly how that feels as it has also happened to me. Incidents like this just go to show how challenging and unpredictable growing fish can be. On the bright side, small bluegill have tremendous tolerance of low oxygen concentrations and if you do lose large bluegill during a depletion then you can have recruits taking their place almost during the same season. This is one reason that I feel you need to maintain your program, just learn from the mistakes and adjust your management plan accordingly. It's nice, IMO, to have "hobbyists" out there taking risks and pushing limits.

It's ALL about the fish!
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks Todd, btw the bass hauled nicely and looked better this year than ever.

Yeah, at first I was thinking, be conservative and pull them at 2-4" before it gets extremely hot. But if I do that I won't know if they could handle the summer or not if left in the .25 pond. This is the smaller of the 3 growout ponds i have so now Im thinking I should go for it and leave them in and feed 2-3lbs daily for the hot months and see what happens. I guess maybe I should learn with the small pond rather than take chances with the larger ones.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I have seen a lot of fish inexplicably die. I'm pretty good at killing them.

However, I'm not at all understanding about why the Pondweed blew up and then died.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Dave, it took about 5 days for it to grow up from the bottom and circle about 1/2 the bank. Then even less time for it to retreat back out of sight and fall apart.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I have never seen or heard of that. Whitecap stays in the water column longer than some other herbicides; they say up to 30 days. I thought it would prevent the re-emergence. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it kept on working. That stuff is pretty expensive.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Keep in mind that you can't run the .25 acre pond like Todd does as you are not running an aquaculture operation (time and constant monitoring) with aeration. You are probably nearing natural carrying capacity in your situation. I would move some of the fish.

Here is the conundrum. Fish under stress (crowding and low DO) do not grow well. If you have to reduce feeding and they are under stress they will not grow much and you will not reach the goal easily. If you lose to predation or otherwise 80% of the fish you seine and move you are still ahead. Here is why. If you move 1/3 of the fish by weight the remaining fish in the pond will more than make up the possible loss through better growth and condition. Plus the surviving 20 % of the fish you seine and move will also grow better in their new home plus the 80% that get eaten will be reflected in better LMB growth. I would rather have a small BG become forage for a LMB than be part of a large group of floaters in an over stressed pond. I would not risk them all to save a small % from being eaten. Diversify the risk with better upside potential.

You can't run an engine at max rpm indefinitely . It will seize and crash. Same for a pond. Now if you just want the info on how far you can push that pond then that is ok also. Gathering info is an appropriate reason to push the limits if that is the goal.

Last edited by ewest; 06/14/10 10:08 AM.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I ditto ewests solution/answer if you can find the time, you spread the risk and reduce loss potential, whilst partly get to follow the(developement) result off your original idea(invest)

PAUL
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
good info from everyone,

I will take a look at the water/visability and fish tomorrow and post a report and let everyone know. My netting is coming in tomorrow also. We'll see...

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Interesting project . Keep us updated.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Ok everyone, quick update this morning. Im gonna check this evening before I head home also just to make sure.

So I dropped by the pond this morning with 2.5lbs of feed and took a look. The water looks like its around 18" visability. There is little to no vegetation present now. I guess its gameover for that finally. It has been very calm for the last 24 hrs i'd say and all i can see that makes the pond not look 100% normal is a small area on one end about 25ft along the bank that has a thin white film on top. Its located where what little breeze we had pushed it to one end. Let me say again though it is very thin and not something that I want to make sound bad.

The fish were very active and rushed to the edge for the feeding. I tossed out the 2.5lbs, they consumed all of it and were ready for more. No visible stress signs on the fish, and no fungus growths whatsoever.

I'll try to get a photo maybe of the water/pond and fish if i remember to take my camera today.

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Maybe you should ask for a discount as a repeat customer buying fish. I hate to be harsh, but honest. You are killing your own fish. And your pondweed story does not make sense at all. You just do not have spontaneous reeemrgent growth and die off with white cap or sonar.

First, you are trying to do too much, too fast in too small of pond. The smaller the volume, the smaller margin for error. It does not matter that baby bg are good at surviving low O2 levels. You should not be putting them through that to begin with. Nor any fish. I would not restock anything until I figured out what went wrong. What is wrong. Why you are having crazy vegetative results. Until you get that figured out and the vegetation settled in and working, you could go through the same thing over and over. Putting more fish in is not the answer, stabalizing the pond is.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
pond frog you need to ease up a little you know it. I'll take some bashing here and there, but im the one out there trying with what i have to work with.

I'll go tell that pondweed thats now decaying at the pond to apologize to all the scientific minds here for throwing a wrench into the works. This is not some model or aquarium in a classroom. Those models sometimes change in the real world. i myself tend to lean to the science of explaining things but realize that sometimes weird crap happens... I don't know why in the world it did what it did, but it happened, and why would I make something up like that to begin with.... Im the one that lost the fish, and i accept that.

Who said I put more fish in. I said I COULD replace the lost brooders if i wanted, the point there was... losing the big fish wasn't a big loss.

Why did it happen.... Seems fairly clear now,
1. Weird, unexplainable, and to some here not possible, growth of pondweed rose and then died off very quickly according to the norms, a week or so ago putting a strain on the water column.
2. I was probably feeding a little much for that size pond. MY FAULT! Lesson learned, thats what im trying to do here... learn something
3. 2 days of rain here pushed it to the breaking point.

Now im ready to move on and make this work. It is working by the way, im not running some fish torture facility the way you make it sound and just cowboy'n the situation.

Look everyone, im not trying to prove anything, pick any fights, push any crazy limits, or kill fish for the heck of it. I really like this forum and thought I'd start this thread to let everyone know my experience and get ideas on future decisions that i must make.

I guess im not trying to be harsh, just honest. Right, pond frog?

No harm done here everybody. But lets just ease up a little and move on. My netting just came in, the ups driver is in the driveway!!!

I SUBSCRIBE!!!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It’s your pond and you are free do exactly what you want. Most of us have killed a few fish. I know I have. I think your plan will work it just needs some minor adjusting as the fish grow. After all that was the plan from the start. Put them in , grow them out to size and move them to the big pond. Leave a few to start over and repeat as needed for forage.

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens.

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I have to follow-up here if I may.

On the vegetation rebound, Chad, do you think it is possible that you had a boom of chara or nitella, either of which could be mistaken for "pondweed?" It was bushy pondweed right? Chara or nitella is are complex forms of algae and not treatable with active ingredient fluridone, or whitecap or sonar trade names. This would be a possible explanation, then did you use some copper sulfate or did this algae just crash?? I have never seen this type of rebound/crash following fluridone treatment. Not saying it can't happen.

Also I have to request clarification on how Ewest might suggest that Chad move his fish, with 95 deg water temps recorded today on my ponds in the same vicinity as Chads', I can't imagine Chad seining them right now. Nature already removed a significant amount of fish biomass which lightened the load, plus Chad can lighten his feeding regime, or even stop it until fall, and still be ok with small/medium bluegill in a pond with a plankton bloom through the summer. Remember, Chad is a fish farmer now, has likely killed more than 1000 fish?? But he may not have the required help, equipment, time, and experience to move fish successfully in this kind of weather. Rod and reel would work, however, but now most of his big fish have died....Bill Cody can suggest something....

Cast-nets are killers.

PondFrog if you haven't ever been down South you need to make that trip sometime and look at some of the rural farm ponds around here. 80%+ of them have issues. Summers are hot, small ponds are boom and bust, ponds lose fish on a more regular basis than people realize, droughts and dried up ponds are commonplace. With these limitations and challenges I think Chad is doing pretty good so far.

It's ALL about the fish!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??