Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,104
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
12 members (Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure), 720 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 45 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 44 45
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeesh, I musta squeezed off a couple of miles of caulk already, and we just started. I guess I just never really thought about it since I have never worked with lap siding. It is my first exposure to OSI Quad caulking. Amazing stuff; might trump polyurethane caulk as my favorite.
-
Anyway, we got a little further. I am very glad to be past the utility stuff and conduit feeds...it took alot of time, nippin' and tuckin'.
-

-
We're just gonna keep pickin' away at the mountain, one piece at a time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow, that's looking good!

Are you squeezing the calk out in a hand powered caulk gun? If so, I could arrange for the tool fairy to loan you an air powered one..... Just let me know what size the calk tubes are, I have a couple different sized ones.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks esshup.
Got the caulk gun covered; thanks. I like the manual gun for detail and the 18v cordless (and air hose-less) gun for long straight runs.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Brettski, with the new forum design... It looks like you'll finally have a proper place to show off all your hard work.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just in case you thought we have been goofing off for the last couple o' weeks, I thought I would check in and 'fess up....we were....kinda.
2 weekends in a row of no production at the pond is strange and really thru me outta my rhythm. The first weekend was rain, rain, rain, so I stayed home and spent the weekend breathing new life into my old ride; brakes and hoses. The second weekend was a planned stint to Idaho to see family; a very nice break indeed. Then reality set back in and we headed back to the project this past weekend.
Last spring (2009) we had our first experience with trying to get DirectTV reception thru the forest as the trees leafed out. And, about this time last spring, we lost our picture until the fall. Kinda sucked and MP3 player got a good workout. I knew that eventually the dish would be mounted permanently to the new structure, but we just weren't far enough along last year, nor had the time to spare to mount it. This past weekend, the picture started to fritz in and out, so I knew what had to be done.
There's really only one halfway decent place to mount the dish; on the fascia of the gable end. Since I only wanted to do it once, it means finishing the fascia before the mount. This was a job that I have been avoiding, simply because of the height and awkward balancing act. No matter, I was NOT going to go thru the summer again without satellite TV.

-
Between this slow going project and tuning in the dish and running the new cable over to our little shed, our Saturday was pretty much shot.
We did manage to get some siding productivity on Sunday. It's all ladder work and moves very slow. Another reassurance that we made the right decision to use a pre-finished product.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski, in the first pic it looks like you were only 5 courses away from having to install the facia anyway so I don't see any time lost on the project. It all has to be done to be considered "finished" anyway! It's looking great!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Tremendous. Keep up the great work!

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What is the gameplan from here ? Sounds like TV first , goofing around second , work maybe. laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
bustin hump, baby...
The sat TV is critical. It is about the only "plus" in the equation to offer Donna-ski. No Sat TV, no Dski...No D-ski, no progress.
We've got pretty much all the raw material we need to do the entire siding job already stored inside the structure. The plan is to keep picking away at the square footage until it's done. It's easy to look at it and say "heck, what's the big deal...this should be done in 2 or 3 weekends". Yeah...right.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
bustin hump, baby...
The sat TV is critical.

It's either satellite or cable, if you're gonna watch "This Old Garage-Apartment."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So...why the heck is it taking me so long to get the siding up? Could it be a my constant battle with overkill? Nah!
-
Every window is being framed with pre-finished 5/4 x 4 stock. The stock is painted and sealed on 3 sides; the face and both edges. I do have bottles of touch up paint, but I really want to take advantage of the factory finish whenever possible. To do so on the window frame work, I have to mitre all the corners. Besides, the mitred corner is a classier look.
We are using biscuits at every corner.

-
Each window has a vinyl nailing fin about 1/8" thick. It runs around the entire perimeter of the window and is how the windows are nailed to the framing surrounding the rough opening. This fin protrusion creates an uneven surface for the siding framework, so we have to relieve the back side of every piece.

-
Each siding window frame is assembled, one at a time, with glue and the biscuits and tightened together with a long band clamp designed for making pictures frames. We adapted it with another band and got a suitable length to encompass the entire 206" perimeter.

-

-

Then....laying out the installation lines.
The housewrap is supposed to be semi-transparent to allow the ability to see the nailing layout marks on the sheathing it covers. This would theoretically allow me to know where every stud is located. It is imperitive that each nail used to hold not only the siding but the siding trim hits a stud. Well, this ability to easily locate the layouts thru the housewrap is sketchy at best. I can't afford to hit and miss, so we go ahead and use a chalk line and sharpie marker to re-create the centers of all the studs. While we are at it, we use a story board (an 11' long stick with layout elevations marked on it) to mark the tops of all the courses of the lap siding in numerous locations of the wall.

-

-
This layout procedure takes about an hour and half, but makes the installation part go much easier. It's nice to have an easy-to-read road map. The window frames...well...they take a little longer. Oh, and btw, there are 9 windows on the first floor and 11 upstairs. The picture windows will be a chapter unto themselves.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice! Do it once, do it right. If you have a problem of the chalk washing off in the rain, use powdered concrete stain instead of chalk. It'll stay there for a long while.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
If you have a problem of the chalk washing off in the rain, use powdered concrete stain instead of chalk. It'll stay there for a long while.

already there; waterproof chalk
thx

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We keep pluggin'....one course at a time
-
-

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It must have been brutal out there today with the heat and humidity, plus not being used to it.

Every weekend it looks better and better!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Now that is some progress. Is the bottom finished ? The top is going to be a challenge. Get that safety harness !

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great color scheme.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
+1 on the safety harness..........again.

How and when did you learn to do all this stuff. Not selling iron.
Give us some background. I would give my left nail to be able to build like that.
You have a reliable, steady partner, too. Get the sat TV going.

Last edited by burgermeister; 05/24/10 10:43 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: burgermeister

How and when did you learn to do all this stuff

My earliest recollection was toddler when my Dad gave me my own little hammer (no play on words here, Theo) and the cut-off scraps from the lumber stock from one of his own projects. I would nail the pieces together to make small "boats" and use the finish nails to make railings and other small wooden-block boat accessories. This might also explain my affinity for boating and BOW's later in life.
Some of the finest memories I have of my dearly departed mother are both of us sitting on the roof of the Eagle River cottage we were building as we nailed down the ship lap roof boards. I was prolly 12 or 13 at the time of that project.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I shoulda been paying more attention and helping my dad when he was sawing and hammering, sweat dripping down off his nose in mid-summer Miss., instead of going down the street and playing some kinda ball all the time.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I just went thru this entire post from the first page. Brettski, awesome job, but man you make me feel like a lazy bum, heh heh. I consider myself a can-do-er, always ready to tackle the task at hand, but I seriously want to know how you maintain focus? Do you take some sort of ADHD medication to keep that razor sharp focus on the next step?? I restored an old farm house and the sheer size and scope of the project often overwhelmed me to the point of helplessness many times over. Of course, I was single during most of it and spending time and money on fishing trips instead of weekend after weekend on the task at hand, but what you have done and in the time frame you have done it is something any couple can be very proud of. I was impressed by your dock building both in design and workmanship but this blows that away, very good job indeed!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Many thanks for the props, JoeG. The focus is relatively easy when taking it on in such tiny bites. The real tip of the hat goes to my tirelessly supportive and butt-kickin' better half, Donna-ski.
-
-
We really hoped for 3 days in a row for productivity on this Memorial Day weekend, but M Nature had other plans. We got in 2 good days, finally tackling the fourth side of the first floor. The third day was a rain day, so we knocked out some odds-and-ends projects.
-
-

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Looks great. Love the attention to detail and your explinations as to why you do what you do. Makes it more interesting and informative.

Congratulations on your progress so far, and I'm looking forward to your future achievements in creating your home!!!

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thank ya, Mr Walker. I do appreciate the bump.
-
We are officially at the point of "all ladders, all the time". It sucks. We can't put up one stinkin' piece of anything without moving and adjusting a ladder...usually two ladders. Complicate that with alot of the work will require the ladder jacks and aluminum scaffold. If I had to guess, I would say that we spend 1/3 of our time just setting up. Add 90+ degrees, 99% humidity, and a consistent string of thunderstorms.
-
OK...rave over (for now). I feel a little better. Thanks for listenin'.
-
We finished up the "service door" side; finito.

We also set up the ladders and scaffold above the 3 picture windows. I did the highwire act again and got the white fascia covers installed on this end. The 2 x 6 fascia boards have been exposed to the elements now for about 6 months. They were fine. They're protected now.
Uh oh...I forgot the base for an exterior coach light at the service door. Dammit. I'll rig something in later, I guess.
-
Bring the ladders around to the overhead door side and re-erect the scaffold. We get an official start on the 2nd story work. This was an important step as it gives me a "feel" for the PIMA factor. It was pretty high. We got a start on wrapping a window with trim, caulking it in, and setting some of the shed dormer fascia and soffit.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Where is the safety harness ? Good to see progress but you need to be accident free to enjoy the finished product.

Page 18 of 45 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:15 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails