Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL
18,497 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,942
Members18,498
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Theo Gallus, Sunil, DrLuke, Kanon M, catscratch, John Folchetti, BackyardKoi), 908 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Thank Brettska!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Congrats Rocky. If you run into any more deer hunters, send them my way. Mine is still for sale.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Don't worry Jeff I'm not letting Bski off that easy. I still have 2 ponds and my hot rod is getting close to completion. I'll be around.

FYI I don't float as easy anymore. I am down 40 pounds and falling. I joined the band wagon with Bob. I am going in for back surgery in a few days. Thanks Bob for taking the time to share your wifes experience with me. It made me feel much better about my decision to go forward with the fusion.

I just give Brett flack because he dethroned me from being the TOP KOOK around here and I just can't get over it.

Speaking of missing in action what happened to Tom G and I don't see Theo poping in as often.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good luck RT. Glad you are up on the sale and down on the weight.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Good luck on your surgery RT. For what's it's worth my mom had back surgery about a month ago - the change in her life (for the better) has been amazing. I wish you a speedy recovery.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thanks Guys much appreciated.

And for you motor heads here is the current state of the hot rod.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yeah, RT...best o' luck on the back surgery. Fusion or discography?
-
If I have achieved Top Kook status, where does that put JHAP?
-
The ride looks great. Best time on the 1/4?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"Kook" might not really be the right word for JHAP. In fact, it might be hard to encapsulate him with just one word.

I would go for "Total Freak," but that might not even get it.

"Freak of Life" would be closer, but still not quite there.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Speaking of missing in action... I don't see Theo poping in as often.

ever since he discovered the pistachio shell hat will dig post holes, he's been doing most of his poping along the field fence line

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Sunil
"Kook" might not really be the right word for JHAP. In fact, it might be hard to encapsulate him with just one word.

Calling a surfer (or former surfer in recent years) a kook will cause a fist fight here on the west coast. We take the word very seriously. (In surfing lingo a kook is used to describe an in-lander, usually a very infrequent surfer, that has no respect for the locals). And usually get's punished for their indiscretion.

Freak of Life is acceptable.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Yeah, RT...best o' luck on the back surgery. Fusion or discography?
-
If I have achieved Top Kook status, where does that put JHAP?
-
The ride looks great. Best time on the 1/4?

Fusion, I'm getting some aircraft hardware put in. I messed with my young surgeon, he knew I worked in aerospace in engineering so when he came in last week to discuss the surgery and started showing me the spin model with titanium hardware I seriously started asking him if he could give me the material and properties data for the hardaware he is to use. I told him I was going to have my stress team build a model in patran to see if it was strong enough to hold me up. When he begin to try and answer me I smiled and said I was just messing with him.

Best 1/4 is 14-0 at 101 mph. This was before I put the posi rearend in and massive rubber out back. With the stoick LS1 and all the weight loss it should easily get into the mid to low 13's now if it will hook up off the line. The car is geared for the highway more than drag racing. It really moves out when you get her in 3rd gear. Getting about 23 mpg so far average with at least one wot lauch every time out.

Last edited by rockytopper; 06/10/10 12:53 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil

I would go for "Total Freak," but that might not even get it.

"Freak of Life" would be closer, but still not quite there.

puffy freak of life

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
You guys be nice to Jeff he is a motor head so he can't be all that bad.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Swap the rear for a 9" and you can swap pumpkins in 20 minutes if you have discs on the back. Low gear for the track and high gear for cruising.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
RT, what transmission do you have in the car? In my Terminator Cobra I had a 6 speed tremic. It had 3.55:1 rear gears but because of the overdrive 6th I got up to 26 mpg out of a car that would run low 12s (or high 11s by a skilled driver). After tweaking my Terminator it dyno'd 401 HP at the rear wheels - the car was a beast.

Plus one on the 9 inch, a well built one doesn't come cheap but they are about as strong as it gets.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I'm running a 4l60e 4 speed auto. I am running 3.08 gears in the rear. The 6 speeds have a little more od in top gear and can run shorter gears. The 4l60e has a very low first gear and therefore will not benefit from putting the short gears in the rear. I can already smoke both back tires at will. I have not tested sense I installed the bigger 265 tires out back. I need a stall converter if I wish to improve my 1/4 times. I am not really concerned about it. It is more of a cruiser anyway. If I can hang with young guys in ther new camaro's and challegers I'm happy.

I got to wach out for the new mustang. Have you guys seen the numbers they are laying down with just drag radials and a few bolt on mods and tune. There in the high tens already with the new 2011 power plant.

Last edited by rockytopper; 06/11/10 09:56 AM.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great transmission and I agree on the rear gears. When I had my Cutlass (was factory ordered as a sleeper, had a 455, 4bbl carb, Hurst Dual Gate shifter, dual exhaust and posi) I switched the rear ratio to 3:42, it became a stop light bruiser but an absolute pain on the highway (had a TH400 in it).

The new 5.0 power plant is a monster. Almost no reason to pay all of the extra bucks for a Shelby. Once people start bolting on super chargers to the new 5.0 they are going to be the one to beat. I haven't read about how stout the internals are on the new 5.0 though so boost may be limited. From what I'm reading, folks are putting down high 12s on the 2011 in stock form!

In my terminator I ran 9 pounds of boost (stock from the factory). A lot of folks ported the supercharger (Eaton) swapped pulleys and had the cars tuned and put down 550 to the rears. A guy I knew did this - it was one of the scariest cars I've ever ridden in. By swapping to a Kenne Belle supercharger (twin screw with less parasitic loss), pulley swap and tuning regularly yielded 600 plus RWHP and would run low 10s unfortunately I never got a chance to ride in one so equipped.

My Terminator made me a true believer in supercharging. The Terminator motor had all forged internals so folks regularly cranked the boost up to about 15 pounds without loosing reliability, a few folks played with over 20 pounds of boost.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dammit RT, now you have me reading 2011 5.0 articles. I just read that Ford is going to offer a factory supercharger package for the new 5.0. Very pricey package (about 7K) but it has a intercooler (like my terminator) and will boost the new 5.0's horsepower by 120. The good news - it won't void the factory warranty.

Give folks a year or two to play with the new 5.0 and we'll be seeing factory warrantied monsters running the streets.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Great transmission and I agree on the rear gears.

Ditto.

I have the 9" in the Camaro. 3:00/locker for the street, 4:56/spool for the track. Doug Nash 5-speed, so I didn't have the converter issues.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
Fingerling
Fingerling
W
Umm... What language was that? LOL I definitely am NOT a car guy. LOL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: WLCopper
Umm... What language was that? LOL I definitely am NOT a car guy. LOL

grin

9" = Ford nine inch rear end.

3:00, etc means the rear end gear ratio. Lower the number means the less rpm's the motor turns per distance forward traveled. For instance; 3:00 to 1 means that with a non-overdrive trans the rear tires turn 1 revolution to three revolution of the motor. 4:56 to 1 means that the rear tires turn 1 revolution to 4.56 revolutions of the motor.

Locker - Ford's version of a locking differential, but still allowing the rear wheels to turn at different speeds when going around a corner if there isn't a lot of power applied, which will "lock" both wheels together via the axles.

Spool - deveice in the rear end that permantntly locks both axles together. Not recommended for street driving 'cause it will cause the axles to twist; possibly breaking them, and it will cause increased tire wear on the rear tires.

Doug Nash - type of manual transmission where 5th gear is still a 1:1 ratio, but the other ratios are lower. It was a precursor to the overdrive transmissions of today. It was popular in the mid to late 1980's.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
I wish I had a 9" rear-end.....

Last edited by FattyMcButterpants; 06/14/10 09:48 AM. Reason: didnt want a 9' rear-end.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
laugh laugh laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh laugh I had to read the edit twice.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 01:18 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner