Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
P
Hello, I just had a question about who would be a good person to check my property near Bandera, tx. to see how expensive it would be to build a fishing pond. We have a small pond less than an acre but the damn washed out and would like to repair and expand. Area is pretty rocky and this may not be an ideal spot, but it has a small spring that runs during wet years and I believe we only had to dig about 100 feet to provide well for house next to pond, but that even gets low during dry years. Well can be diverted to pond per timer. Also looking for other suitable areas, but I don’t think there is anywhere that accumulates water such as a creek except for small spring mentioned. There are many underground springs that show during rains nearby. I am new to this and not sure if my property is a worthwhile site for a fishing pond. Appreciate any advice.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Pat, welcome to the frenzy! Someone from your area will chime in soon.

I subscribe!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Contact your local NRCS office. They keep a list. Then check references very carefully.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
P
Thanks for the replies...that gives me a lot more to work with. There are only a few companies that come up when you run a search on the net so that helps. If anyone has a specific reference for someone who does good work in that area or experiece dealing with Texas hill country terrain for pond building and how much it cost too work with rocky areas with limited soil...please chime in.

P
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
P
I called NCRS and they will contact me in a week or so. Hopefully I can get this worked out...just got my 6 weeks notice at work today so it looks like I will have some time off to get this done. Oh well, life goes on. Might as well enjoy it!!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Keep in mind that the dozer operators on the NRCS list are those that ask to be put on it. They may or may not know what they are doing. Also, the NRCS person may or may not be a pond person.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
I need to renovate my 1/4 acre pond. The corner was included with successfully abscomed in1996, by my mother and sister. My fathe deeded it to me in 1994. Since the she and the new owner of my mothers house contaminated the water with greywater from their homes.. I can no longer fish, nor swim a medically needed item to prevent my being bound to a wheel chair. I have no other sources for swimming.. I tried unsuccessfully to puchase to property,aswell as unsucsessfull contacted the healthe dept.Can I drain the pond,creat a natural swimming pond and levee or dam of their section for their use.Otherwise a pool consultant only option is a 30,000$ inground pool.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Birdlady and welcome to Pond Boss. Personally my advice would be to talk to an attorney and soon. I don't know whether or not you would want to sue family members but even if you don't you should find out what your rights are. Regulations regarding building dam and changing the flow of ground water varies from state to state.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Grey water or black water outlet is as far as I read/understand US laws/reulationes also strictly regulated.
Keep a dialoug with your neigbhor parallel with seeking legal advice, werry often the mutual understanding/setelement is the cheapest ($)fer all parts,how ever its often worth the ivestement to have a colicitor doing the talking for you, signaling I will go the long way if I have to.
In this country that will wery often give you the benefitt of a court ruling in your favour to have your legal costs cowerd by counterpart for trying to get a resoneable setteling out of the court/legal system (don't know if this aplye over there).

PAUL
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Online Content
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Birdlady, if the pond is drained, you will likely need to remove some bottom sediments to get the desired results. Plus, the source of the pollution must be stopped. Speaking as a pro, I think you need some hands-on advice from your home base. ewest, on this forum, might be able to offer some thoughts how to handle this.
My gut reaction is for you to build the swimming pool, if you can afford it. It can be designed and built for the specific reason. The pond will always be a pond.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Birdlady can you provide info on what is going on ? Do you own all the land around the pond ? Are they draining something into your pond ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images