Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#220010 06/03/10 03:42 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
All;

First off, thanks to everyone for your patience and support during our efforts to upgrade the forum. I appreciate the collective willingness to raise issues that needed to be addressed as it's the only way we can continue to improve the Pond Boss forum experience for us all - constructive criticism is essential to accomplishing our group mission [with the exception of Sock Puppet's threatening hate mail].

Two issues remain I want to address with the forum:

1. For a few forum members the new sidebar on the right is causing a width issue and users must scroll left to right to view the entire forum. While thankfully not a functionality issue, I agree it's a PITA as one of my PC's also experiences this issue. We have three options moving forward and I would like your feedback.

A. Keep format as is instead of reducing the overall size of the forum. While this means a few of us have to continue scrolling left-right, it's not a wholesale change that affects the entire community.

B. Move the right margin entirely to the left side. It would spell for a longer forum page, but it would alleviate the scrolling issue.

C. Remove the right sidebar entirely. This means losing the "Recent Posts" function and "Newly Uploaded Images" function which I enjoy.

Personally, I'm in favor of option A - but let me hear from you all please.

2. In an attempt to continue to provide a forum that loads quickly and allows fast navigation we imposed size limits to photos of 2MB and limited the number of photos on a post to 5. However, after hearing from a few of you we've decided to double the number of photos allowable to 10, but will retain the 2MB restriction. We're confident our available bandwidth should continue to provide efficient navigation and loading even with the expanded photo posting parameters.

Please feel free to weigh in on either/both subjects. I want to ensure we're doing everything possible to make the forum the best resource possible, except for Sock Puppet.

Thanks all -

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
"A works for me
-
as an aside, how come all the "off-site" hosted photos all shrunk?

Brettski #220014 06/03/10 03:48 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
BSKI - thanks for your input, and for the hard slider...sigh. Kidding, I'll escalate to UBB asap. Can you provide me an example via PM or email as they always ask me first for an "example" as I'm literally in their ear daily.

Thanks amigo!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Agreed on option A. I, too, really like seeing the most recent posts and new photos. Great feature and I'd hate to lose it. I don't have any issues with viewing the forum on this laptop, which is a full-sized one, but on my little Acer Netbook with the 10 inch screen, I do have to scroll just a little. The nice thing with that, though, is that there is enough space even on that tiny screen, to center the messages once I open a thread and then all the messages on that page are fully visible and only the poster's ID is slightly clipped on the left margin. So, again, it's not an issue for me at all other than having to re-center any time I change a page, but that's the price of using a small screened laptop.

Keep on rockin', TJ (and Bob and Mike!)!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I'll escalate to UBB asap. Can you provide me an example via PM or email as they always ask me first for an "example" as I'm literally in their ear daily.

Any and every one of my pics in any of the threads that I have posted. They are all sized at 640 x 480 and used to fill the forum area very nicely. I believe we used to be able to go up to about 700 wide before the pic would be too large and require scrolling left/right to see the whole thing. Now, all those 640 x 480 pics are pretty small.

Brettski #220020 06/03/10 04:21 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They are showing properties at 400 x 300, but the hosting site (photobucket for me) is submitting at 640 x 480. Perhaps the UBB is re-sizing...?

Brettski #220022 06/03/10 04:28 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thank you I understand I will escalate ASAP

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"...I will escalate ASAP"

That sounds painful. Be careful.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #220034 06/03/10 05:40 PM
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Who is Sock Puppet? - Did I miss something else? blush

I am sorry, but I have had cucumbers (pickles) and dill on my mind smile

JKB #220041 06/03/10 05:59 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
beware; Sock Puppet is an escalation expert

Brettski #220134 06/04/10 10:08 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
My vote is B. This is not a function of monitor size, I have a 24.5" inch monitor and I still have to scroll. I gotta tell ya this is a major annoyance for me on this forum. Every time I click on a post I have to use a scroll bar at the bottom to re-center.

I always read the forums by using the "Active Topics" and past 24 hours feature. This gives me a list of the posts that have occurred recently. Having them appear at the right seems redundant.

I am using Mozilla Firefox. Is this scroll issue caused by particular browsers?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I use ie8 upstairs and everything fits fine.

I use ie7 downstairs in my office and I have to scroll, like you.

We still don't know if it's a browser issue, but I don't believe it is.

We could eliminate the recent posts feature and move the newly uploaded images to the left margin.

Please weigh in with your feedback. We'll be basing the course of action on your collective direction.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I just tried an experiment.

Using the same computer equipment, and with absolutely no changes to monitor settings:

Mozilla Firefox - the scroll bar appears.

Internet Explorer - the scroll bar appears.

Opera - no scroll bar.

If worst comes to worst I'll just view Pond Boss with Opera.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
If worst comes to worst I'll just view Pond Boss with Opera.

Good thinking. That way, the Forum isn't over 'til the fat lady sings.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
LOL!!!

Experiment number 2:

By zooming out in Mozilla (view, zoom, zoom out - or Control + -) I can get the scroll bar to go away. But like the native setting for Opera, by the time the scroll bar goes away the text appears only slightly larger than ant droppings.

But this does work, so I'm speculating that the scroll bar is a function of browser settings, not the choice of browser.

Further experimentation has found a "zoom" setting that is possible to read and does not have a scroll bar. So I'm good now.

Folks that are having the scroll issue, try resetting the zoom function of your browser.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Jeff

Is it only when you click on a post to read that this scrolling issue occurs? For me, when I'm sitting on the home page of the forum everything is fine, it's only when I click on a post to read that the scrolling occurs. Please everyone let me know your thoughts.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I use Google Chrome most of the time, and once in a while, Firefox. I have not had any issues with either.

I like the recent post side bar.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeff

Is it only when you click on a post to read that this scrolling issue occurs? For me, when I'm sitting on the home page of the forum everything is fine, it's only when I click on a post to read that the scrolling occurs. Please everyone let me know your thoughts.

That is exactly correct.

Now that I have "zoomed out" (no comments from the peanut gallery please, I realize that most of you think I zoomed out years ago) I can use Mozilla Firefox without a scroll bar appearing.

TJ try resetting your zoom setting and see what happens.

Now that I can make the scroll bar disappear I don't care what appears where. Well except it would be nice if on the right side of my monitor I could get a list of all threads that contain recent GSF blasphemy, it would improve my ability to monitor such nonsense.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I reset my zoom as JHAP explained and the scroll issue is solved to a certain degree. It does reduce my text size naturally but that's not a problem until I submit a post (like now) it is hard to red whut I'm tiping. I think the zoom will work fine on my end now that i know it exists! I do agree with JHAP on the recent posts. I too always go to the "active topics" to view them. I'm not sure I agree with him on GSF notes though.
Thanks TJ!!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #220160 06/04/10 11:51 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
And thanks to JHAP also!! I never knew the zoom feature was there.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Cisco #220176 06/04/10 01:18 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm liking the new forum look. I get to observe it on at least six different computers, using a variety of browsers, all without any issues. I vote for Option A too.

The only place I have a problem is on my "smart phone" -- but, that's a whole 'nother issue. It's usable though.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JHAP, I use Firefox on both of my laptops and the scroll issue only appears on my small netbook. I am not familiar with the active topics and past 24 hours features. I'll take a look for them now, but any insights into what they are/how they work? Are they automatic things that maybe I'm just not realizing that's not what they're called, or did you have to set up a preference within your profile to access those features?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Todd3138 #220181 06/04/10 01:54 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
FYI

I escalated the issue raised by Eric and Jeff RE posting photos on the Image Gallery - here was my response today - sorry I don't have better news. Looks as if we'll have to wait for their next available upgrade - boy that should be fun to install all over again! smirk

Hi Tom,

Ok, I see it now. Images are currently not actually allowed in replies to photo gallery forums, due to layout issues. We are working on changing this for our next version however.

Regards,
Jake

You can access this ticket online at https://www.ubbcentral.com/tickets/ticket.php?ticket=561:BXV9X6

Todd3138 #220184 06/04/10 02:23 PM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
JHAP, I use Firefox on both of my laptops and the scroll issue only appears on my small netbook. I am not familiar with the active topics and past 24 hours features. I'll take a look for them now, but any insights into what they are/how they work? Are they automatic things that maybe I'm just not realizing that's not what they're called, or did you have to set up a preference within your profile to access those features?

I don't think any changes need to occur. Up at the top of the screen (directly beneath the advertising ribbon) you will see "Active Topics" if you click on this then it will display a list of topics that have been posted to. You can further refine this but selecting "past 24 hours, past 48 hours, past 7 days.

I use this feature daily.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
FYI

I escalated the issue raised by Eric and Jeff RE posting photos on the Image Gallery - here was my response today - sorry I don't have better news. Looks as if we'll have to wait for their next available upgrade - boy that should be fun to install all over again! smirk

Bummer, this now makes me hate Image Gallery posts.

I hold you personally responsible for this short coming. I shall add a tab to my "TJ excel spreadsheet" to tract the number of times that I post to an Image Gallery post and cannot directly link an image. When we next meet the severity of the discipline that I inflict on you shall be calculated in part by the results of the aforementioned multitabbed spreadsheet.

Jeez these forums can be a lot of work.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday