Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#219181 05/29/10 11:45 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well I'm back from a short trip to our pond property. I must say that this trip was one of the more disheartening trips we've had.

Remember when I told the story several months back about JWHAP and I getting stranded in the snow? Neither do I but it's here somewhere. Anyhoo, we got stuck in the snow and our new neighbor pulled us out. He seemed like such a nice person. We were able to chat for quite a while and I liked him immediately.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday. We arrived at our property and since we needed some gasoline and other supplies we headed out towards the store. On the main road we ran into our neighbor. We exchanged pleasantries and during this process he mentioned that his nephew had been fishing our pond every day (permission was never given for this to happen, apparently he just had decided that it was). The neighbor then brags "yep my nephew is quite the fisherman just look at these two bass he caught at your pond." He then proceeds to pull out an Iphone and show me a photo of his nephew holding two large LMB hanging from a stringer. He boasts "yep, those bass were 6 and 7 pounders." While I have no proof of the size of the LMB they appeared to be significantly bigger than anything we have caught so far on our own pond, the length and girth was much larger than the 4 pounder that I caught a while back.

And there were my LMB, in all of their glory, hanging from a freaken stringer.

At this point I stepped slightly to his left, rapidly brought up my right hand and using a perfectly executed knife hand strike I hit him in the throat and watched him collapse into a pile, I then knelt beside him, slid my right hand behind his head used his hair as a hand hold while simultaneously placing my left hand on his face against his nose, with a rapid twist to the left I calmly snapped his neck...

..all in my mind. Fortunately I am not quick to anger and I let wisdom dictate my actions.

Needless to say I was not a happy camper. We proceed to the store and as we are returning we discover that he had removed an entire section of fence between our property and his so that he could ride his ATVs onto our place. Presumably to make his fishing easier.

Think that the bad stuff ends there. Not so fast my impatient friends...

On Thursday we decided to go over to a trailer on our property that we now use primarily for storage. This trailer was completely ransacked. So many items have been stolen we are still trying to remember items that are gone. The list includes: Reels, fishing gear, all of Ricki’s kitchen cookware, silverware, two leatherman tools, three Remington BB/pellet guns, lots of craftsman hand tools, two pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses, boots, jackets, the list goes on and on. Easily 2 or 3 grand worth of stuff gone.

We also discover that the "No Trespassing" sign that we put on our main road, that ironically faces the neighbors front porch, was shot to pieces with.... you guessed it BBs.

Down at the pond we find our Aluminum boat floating in the pond (we keep in out of the pond, upside down and tied to a tree) with the neighbor's fishing gear leaned against the boat.

The kayak is floating off the reeds at the far end of the pond. (Which we also keep out of the pond and tied to a tree).

So on Thursday, prior to returning home we had another "chat" with the neighbor. I told him to immediately replace the fence and stay off the property. I calmly explained to him that we wouldn't tolerate trespassing and that the reason that his nephew caught 6-7 pound LMB was that we were managing the pond towards that end. Admittedly a minor fabrication since the actions that I take at the pond don't rise to the level of pond management but when we bought the place almost 5 years ago all of the LMB were skinny and stunted...obviously not so today...not so much from my actions but he doesn't know that.

I have no proof that he was involved in the theft. He freely admitted that he removed the fence and he and his family were ATVing and fishing on our property. If I had proof that he was the thief I would have immediately called law enforcement. At this point all I have proof of is that at some time in the past six months some one entered our property and stole an bunch of stuff that I can't even prove we had.

I have emailed Greg Grimes about game cameras and I intend to strategically place several around the property.

I'm also researching 12 volt surveillance systems (we don't have 110 at the property). I have found 12 volt "Time Lapse VCRs" that will record for 40 days straight on one T-120 video tape. I'm considering putting together a system that includes a couple of cameras tied to the Time Lapse VCRs powered by 12 volt batteries and solar panels.

Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestion regarding this type of system? Any recommendations?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Well I don't know how it works over there.
Here I would have to report to the police, to make a incuranse claim, wich I would do.
Then it would be up to the police to investegate, and the insurance company put presure on the police to do so.
I would not have to prowe nothing, the insurance company operate on a trust basis so even if the police comes up with no proof to prosecute any, it would be in their records, and the scrambeling they make by interweving suspects gives preventiv results (future), and ewery so often people admit, or point out the offender.
I can choose to drop charges on the trespasing/poaching, but the insurance company would prosecute on the theft.
The stolen goods might be kept at their house so if you can describe it and it's found at the nephew's house well he would be in deep shit in this country.
REPORT I say but you make the calls on this

PAUL
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wow. And I thought I had issues with trespassers.

When we were having lots of problems with the drug dealers who inherited the house across the road from our previous residence, I bought all kinds of security equipment. But, we had electricity, telephone, and DSL. And, it was several years ago, and I know things have changed a lot -- for the better.

I still have one of the VCRs you are talking about. I bought mine at COSTCO. However, at this point in time, I think you might be much better looking at a system that records to the hard drive of a computer or video recorder. An inexpensive laptop or netbook could run directly off 12 VDC.

Cameras are far more important. Most of the cheap ones don't have decent lenses, and they are meant for indoor or close range use. You would be hard pressed to identify someone more than about 25 feet away with most of them. For your application, you really need cameras with telephoto capability. I have a switching system that I bought on e-bay that allows me to switch four cameras in sequence, it can automatically switch to a camera that senses motion, and it can put all four cameras into one frame. I think some of the newer wireless systems that work with computers and DVRs have this function. Most of wireless camera systems also will work from 12 VDC.

I feel your pain.

Didn't it just snow up there also? I thought that I saw on the news yesterday that the ski resorts near Tahoe were back open this weekend because of a freak snowfall. Did you have anything to do with that?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Didn't it just snow up there also? I thought that I saw on the news yesterday that the ski resorts near Tahoe were back open this weekend because of a freak snowfall. Did you have anything to do with that?

Although, the GSA is a force to be reckoned with at this point we don't have the ability to control weather....as far as you know.

It rained everyday at our place and hailed rather enthusiastically on one day but no snow at our elevation (approx 2,100 feet).

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP, words can't express my feelings.

In regards to the game cameras, there are some units out there that will send a signal via cell phone tower to your computer. I don't think they are cheap tho.

I'd send Anthony an e-mail at chasingame explain the problem and the situation and I think he should be able to recommend a camera or system.

I'm pretty sure that he works for the Georgia Fish & Game, and he tests game cameras on the side.

I hope you catch the dirty sum *#^^!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Jeff

My fists are literally clenched I'm so jazzed. That does it - you need to move to the land, permanently - and we can set up razor wire and strategically placed machine gun nests - to keep folks OUT, of course, not IN...[yet]. We have plenty of time to set up the mission statement for our new church.

Bro, I'm so sorry. I can say I wouldn't have demonstrated your level-headedness and I'd be in all sorts of additional trouble right now in your position.

Insurance claim will replace everything. Additional locks for your cabin are needed. Game cameras also - I know guys here will be able to help direct you. I know my time is coming...I hope I can exercise your coolness and deal with things in a mature, productive manner. Call me if you need to vent.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm just boiling over after reading that.

We all have ups and downs with land ownership, but it still sets me off.

You've got a real weakness being an absentee land owner, so factor that into how you deal with the loser/neighbor. He probably knows how far away you live.

You need someone who can keep an eye on things for you, at random times, and report back to you.

Last edited by Sunil; 05/29/10 02:28 PM.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Quote:
I'm just boiling over after reading that.

Sunil,

That pretty much sums it up for me too. mad

Some people can be so damn dense!

I hope you catch the scumbag Jeff. I wish there was something I could do. frown

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
JHAP I commend you for taking it so well, I know in my heart that a powerful and dangerous rage would have filled me and likely exited in a stream of profanity that would put the "Christmas Story" swearing scene to shame and likely still be flowing, my dark side would have shown for sure. Can't say enough about how this pains me and disgusts me to hear you have such inconsiderate neighbors. I loathe people who don't respect others private property, who do they think owns the pond anyway?? Do these people park in handicap spaces too?? The break in and thefts are just turd icing on a crap cake, people having no respect yet again. At the very least I would have notified the police of the theft to get it on record, perhaps there were some figerprints to be gleaned as well. I don't know much about surveillance cams and such, I would be lurking in the bushes with rock salt specials in a 12 gauge, when I got done with them they wouldn't come back, some may not get away.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Quote:
At the very least I would have notified the police of the theft to get it on record...,

And sometimes the report could complete a pattern of previous incidents that would tie an individual(s) to the crime.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Bro, I'm so sorry. I can say I wouldn't have demonstrated your level-headedness and I'd be in all sorts of additional trouble right now in your position.

Originally Posted By: JoeG
JHAP I commend you for taking it so well, I know in my heart that a powerful and dangerous rage would have filled me ....

You guys don't know the half of it. I had both my Smith & Wesson 38 Special and my Winchester 30-30 with me at the time. And no I'm not kidding about that. But a few possession are not worth prison time.

I seriously debated contacting law enforcement. The trouble is nothing that was stolen has serial numbers or any other particularly identifying characteristics and it is all fairly common stuff. Perhaps I should have reported it but I had no idea when the theft had occurred or any proof as to what exactly was stolen.

DIED graciously checks in on my place but he has his own life to deal with.

I am hoping to figure out a surveillance system and get back up there ASAP to install it.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
You've got a real weakness being an absentee land owner, so factor that into how you deal with the loser/neighbor. He probably knows how far away you live.

I could have reported the neighbor for trespassing but he lives there I don't and we both know that fact. I reasoned that if I caused legal trouble for him then he might retaliate. I did tell the neighbor that I was going to install a surveillance system in the next couple of days and would not hesitate to file charges against anyone caught trespassing, let alone stealing. He also is not aware that I have left the property as I told him that we would be coming and going quite a bit the next few days and he is not always home.

You are so correct Sunil, right about now I feel more vulnerable than Brettski's prom date.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Lunker
Lunker
JHAP

Call Law Enforcement - they need to take a look at the area of theft. While making their report have them dust for prints. Why the heck not? If your neighbor WAS involved watching police cruisers drive up will leave a very permanent impression upon him. You need to file a claim anyhow. Again, can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this.

One a brighter note, congrats on the huge LMB. You will grow them that large again...no worries.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP, I agree with what's been said. I'd call the police and report everything, fence, ATV riding, the whole works. Let them figure out if they want to persue it. You just might be the nail in the coffin that stops it from happening to someone else.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Well, I don't think your neighbour did the stealing, he would be tremendously stupid, showing you the pic. on the iphone admiting atv driving if that was him.
So if you don't press charges on that, it should not be a problem that he lives there and you don't.
But if you report the story to the police, it would be natural that they question him and his nephev as posible vitneses to the brake and entry theft.............
In my head you are cool with him not acusing him, at the same time you show that you mean buisnis.
And lets say his nephev didn't do it either then you have mutual interest in the police looking in to the matter.
If it is his nephev he will still be around and I gues he notices that nothing happens????????
He probably didn't brag about stealig to his uncle, might be friends off him kids shooting at signs usualy do that when they are in numbers to play tuff guys.
I don't know the age off this nephev,but stopping a potential criminal career is importante in my mind.

Last edited by andedammen; 05/29/10 06:52 PM.

PAUL
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Jeff I too am so sorry and burning up for you hearing about it. Ditto what others have said. I agree with TJ about getting in touch with the law and telling the whole story. They have ways of investigating that don't come to the common folk's minds.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
JHAP, so sorry to hear about this. I agree with everyone suggesting that you call the police and file a report.
You might ask them to stop by the neighbors house and see if they have any information about recent break-ins.
Any reason that you can think of to get the cops over to the neighbors house might send them a message...

Just do it...
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Whatever you do with the cameras -- make sure they are either hidden from plain view or you have them with overlapping coverage so one camera sees another...And your DVR/VCR is physically secured and out of sight.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeff, I am with everyone else on this. 1) I'm pissed, 2) call the police, and 3) report the loss to your insurance carrier.

Regardless of when it happened, what was taken, whether or not you can identify things dispositively, just do those two things and don't waste any further time. No need to repeat what's been said, but you've been given a lot of good reasons to do both things and I agree with all of them. And continue to work on your surveillance system for sure. And move there sooner than later. And then create a cult that you can be the leader of and recruit armed guards to patrol your compound. And then just have them gradually expand your holdings and start taking over the neigbhors, and then . . . well, you get the point!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Jeff, I am slow to anger myself, but I would have gone violent under similiar circumstances.

Hire a sniper, or take off a couple weeks and do it yourself (since you aren't a surfing anymore.)

mad mad mad

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Man, that really sucks. How in the world he felt that was ok... Wow. Might make nice with a local cop who likes to fish to keep an eye on the place...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I should have filed a police report. I was just thinking that it would be a waste of law enforcement's time since I didn't know when it occurred (it could have been months ago) but now I see your points.

Greg Grimes got back to me and he has a game camera that I think will fit the bill nicely. BTW, Greg has great prices on game cameras. Contact him before you buy one. Sounds like advertising? It is, how can you lose by supporting a PB Vendor and getting a great deal!

I'm still learning about 12 volt surveillance systems - this might be a part of the solution as well.

If cost is no object (which certainly is not my case) then you can have a super high tech solution. Either game cameras or security cameras that use a built in cell phone data connection to beam photos to either a website or to any email address that you choose. Those systems start at about $2,000 for 1 camera (additional cameras are over $500 each) and the cost goes from there, plus a monthly data connection of approximately $80 per month. The system that I would need would run about $4,500 plus the monthly connection fee. shocked

I'm thinking 3 or 4 game cameras and a two camera 12 volt Time Lapse VCR surveillance system.

Dang this is so much more expensive that 30-30 rounds. laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP:

I'd lean towards infrared game cameras. No flash at night. Also look into the bear proof steel cases for the camera, and use a MasterLock Python lock to attach the steel case to the tree. The cameras won't do much good if they get stolen too.

I bought my Cuddie from Greg. Really good prices and tremendous service!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
We had grate sucsess at woork puting up fake camaras, then we had hidden camras focused at the fake ones.
We got really sharp good pictures at the guys tearing them down.

Last edited by andedammen; 05/30/10 10:11 AM.

PAUL
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: andedammen
We had grate sucsess at woork puting up fake camaras, then we had hidden camras focused at the fake ones.
We got really sharp good pictures at the guys tearing them down.

Ande,

That's pretty clever! I love it!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I plan on putting a few of these at the main entrance to my property, along with the signs. All will be in clear sight of anyone coming down the drive.

http://www.hughessecuritysolutions.net/Fake_Security_Cameras_From_Hughes_Security_Solutions_s/4.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy