Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
GrandBob, Keaton72, Mumaw, Pat D, thankyourchoice
15648 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15648 Members
36 Forums
36016 Topics
489998 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19531
Dave Davidson1 13557
Bill Cody 12465
Who's Online
15 registered (Quarter Acre, NEDOC, wbuffetjr, FayetteTX, Clay N' Pray, Theo Gallus, DrLuke, jayhawkbill88, Heppy, roundy, 45ACP, blavis, bigpullerman, RStringer, Flame), 150 Guests and 468 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#218776 - 05/26/10 01:27 AM freshwater shrimp "scuds" for a trout pond
Bill M Offline

Loc: Divide, Colo
We have a family cabin with 5 trout ponds. I am considering adding scuds to the pond in hopes of growing larger trout faster. All our fish are Rainbows. Any info on how to add scuds, where to obtain them etc. would be appreciated. The ponds are near Divide, Colorado at about 9000 ft elevation.

#218815 - 05/26/10 11:31 AM Re: freshwater shrimp "scuds" for a trout pond [Re: Bill M]
Weissguy Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: North of KC, MO
It's actually quite likely that they are in your ponds already.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, CC, WB, HSB, BCP, WCP, GSH.
White Brook Farm
http://www.tilapiasource.com

#218822 - 05/26/10 12:17 PM Re: freshwater shrimp "scuds" for a trout pond [Re: Weissguy]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!

Shrimp and Scuds are a great source of forage but I don't have any experience with extreme conditions like yours. Scuds are tiny and are prolific in lakes north of us in SD and ND. In Devil's Lake they are the foundation for a great YP, NP and WE fishery. It's hard for me to conceive how this tiny invertabrate can possibly sustain such strong game fish populations in Devil's Lake, but they do. I'll bet you have scuds in CO. You could contact your local NRCS agent and inquire. As long as you can properly identify the Scud you could collect them yourself and stock your ponds - all for free.

Ghost/Glass/Grass Shrimp are a different story. Many forum members have stocked a freshwater shrimp in their ponds as to supplement their forage base. The Shrimp we stock are translucent, average .5 - 1.5", and require aquatic vegetation as a source habitat for spawning and protection. Their diet consists of algae and detritus. The species we stock are cold water tolerant and are called Mississippi Grass Shrimp, or Palaemonetes kadiakensis. Some of us have had success establishing them, some have not. In my ponds I have abundant aquatic vegetation in the form of horned pondweed, so their populations exploded. I'm a pretty happy pondmeister.

Dale Fattig of Fattig Fish sells these Shrimp and advertises in Pond Boss magazine and is also on the resource guide. We [forum members] often pool our orders as pricing is contingent on quantity. The going rate for orders over 3,000 is currently $.25/shrimp plus $30 flat shipping. I attached a couple photos to this post of my PK Shrimp. The females are gravid - the green coloration are eggs, I believe. I'm anticipating yet another population explosion soon!

If you are interested in helping your trout to grow more quickly, another consideration is pellet feeding. Many forum members employ a supplemental pellet feeding program with great success. Tons of info on the forum regarding this topic.

Hope this proves helpful. Again, welcome to the forum, and let us know about your pond and your goals. PS: WE LOVE PICTURES!

Attachments
DSC01244.JPG (755 downloads)
DSC01246.JPG (707 downloads)

#219220 - 05/29/10 03:13 PM Re: freshwater shrimp "scuds" for a trout pond [Re: teehjaeh57]
Russ Offline
Lunker

Loc: Ulster Park, NY

#219223 - 05/29/10 03:30 PM Re: freshwater shrimp "scuds" for a trout pond [Re: teehjaeh57]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Loc: Northeastern Indiana
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

If you are interested in helping your trout to grow more quickly, another consideration is pellet feeding. Many forum members employ a supplemental pellet feeding program with great success.
!

TJ,

The pellets are overrated. It just produces runts like this one. grin

Today's Birthdays
Bigredinkc, catmandoo, Gary Youker
Recent Posts
Catmandoo birthday
by Quarter Acre
Today at 03:36 PM
I think I may have screwed the pooch...
by roundy
Today at 02:55 PM
My pond full of outcast
by bigpullerman
Today at 01:05 PM
Homemade PVC floating feeder
by rjackson
Today at 12:28 PM
Bullheads for Largemouth
by Mike Whatley
Today at 12:27 PM
Amazing the variety of soft plastic fish attack
by SENKOSAM
Today at 12:19 PM
Building a garage-apartment with a pond view
by ewest
Today at 11:53 AM
Automatic Siphon System;
by Heppy
Today at 11:16 AM
Rain Dance!
by Bobbss
Today at 11:06 AM
Thomas 2660 piston pump?
by DonoBBD
Today at 11:06 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID
Vegetation ID
Our new pond
CNBG
My Best Longear so far

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide