Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
and i love that lure paul.......hope you dont mind me calling it the VIKING SPOON smile

No I don't mind, it's a good nick.
I just had to correct the origin, specialy since Sweden got the credit.
We Scandinavian love each other, but when it comes to competision, its more important to beat each other, than winning.

It's a friendly but werry importante war, that we(scandinavians) are raised to participate in.

PAUL
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
great, i use the term w/ the utmost respect.

i also understand yer situation. its much the same as northern CA VS. southern CA......although i wouldnt say us northern californians particularly love southern californians (no offense mikey boy) laugh

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: andedammen
A correction is needed the lure is from NORWAY not! from Sweden.
This is like saying something made in the USA is from Mexico.

Paul, my apologies!!! I thought I read Sweden stamped in the lure. That's what I get for trying to remember and not double checking my facts.

We had a blast fishing this evening, and I think I came out even better because I got dinner out of the deal as well!

We caught fish on all the lures except the Viking Spoon, although I had a LMB on it all the way to the bank, I didn't get to touch it before it was released back into the pond. Mike will furnish the update tomorrow.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
OK. Sorry it is already afternoon, but we had baseball this morning.

So here is the detailed report of round 2 of our Traveling Lure outing. Scott came by for an evening of fishing and ralaxing. What a perfect day it was.

A buddy of my son's came over for some fishing and archery practice. He struck first. This was Max's very first cast with the jointed minnow. LMB about 12 1/2 inches.

This was his second cast with the Rooster Tail.

Another LMB caught witht the jointed minnow.

Scott and I got in on the action too.

Scott, you got the HSB on the jointed minnow. Right?

We also caught some more LMB and HSB. Scott showed me some of the flies Georg tied. NICE GEORGE! Some hungry LMB were fooled by those works of art.

We got so worn out from catching fish that we took a break to grill some dogs and brats. It was a great evening.

One more pic. Scott, here is the rooster pheasant that has been visiting the pond for a drink that I was telling you about. Caught him sneeking in when we got back home from the ball park. Kinda hard to see him, but he is dead center of the picture.

This has really been fun. I can't wait to see the lures travel the remainder of the summer.

Mike

Mikey

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Fantastic! Dang this is just too much fun.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep, the HSB came on the jointed Rapala. I really had a blast. It's more fun watching the kids catch fish than catching them myself. Get some structure in your pond and it'll be done. That will be a nice fishery in a few years!!

These cooler nights helped the trout. They were hitting the pellets pretty good at the 11:00 feeding today, and more BG/RES are on the beds in the pond.

That's a nice rooster. It looks like he's checking out the orange "sabre". laugh

I just saw some Sago popping up in my pond. About half of what there was last year, and a LOT less than what's in your pond. My pond water dropped about 2" since you were there. The pump is running now, but the water level is really dropping in the woods too. I don't think I'll be able to pump surface water into the pond past this weekend, it'll be back to the well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Found the beds Scott. On the east side by the cattails. Big male BG and big RES. I am happy to see the RES. I really like having them in there. If I can sneak over there I'll try to get a couple pics of them.

Mikey

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I know you like pics so here are a few more.

LMB guarding the nest. You caught this one yesterday Scott.

RES on the beds. Third picture down you can see one flaring its gills to defend its nest.

BG on the bed in the middle with a RES to the right.

Here a a few shots of the pond. I always wonder what the wide shot looks like when you guys post, and realized that there really weren't any in the pics we shot yesterday. So here you go. The beds are over in front of those cattails.

Mikey

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Great pictures and stories, Keep 'em coming...

Just do it...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
for some reason not all the photos are showing up for me, but I see some outstanding pond management results.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
+1 burger on the pond mgmt results.....thats a great looking place fcm. love the RES bedding pics.

p.s. all pics seem to show ok for me.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So the lures arrived today! And even better, Scott didn't have time to put a snake in the box for me! laugh Woohoo!

After what turned out to be a longer day than I had planned on it being, we loaded up and headed to the farm around 5:30 with plans to hang out for awhile. While Tammy took our girls for a 4 wheeler ride, AJ and I went to the pond and got geared up for a little fishing adventure before we started mowing. Camera, tape measure, scale, and Stubby Steve's on my Shakespeare UL spinning rig with 6 pound test on it. I tossed in a handful of the new feed I've been using and this was the result:

Like someone mentioned the other day here on the forum, it never gets old watching fish feed like this. As we all walked up to our building to get stuff out, we could see literally dozens of BG swimming over to the feeding spot from all different directions - very cool!

Anyway, I tossed in a SS lure for several minutes, but got no love at all. I may need to go with a smaller hook as the pellet was sinking immediately, though I would have thought the fish would hit it even then. So, time for a change in tactics.

I tied on the Viking Spoon and went for different prey, but the weeds are prevalent enough right now and the spoon is heavy enough that I just couldn't keep it out of them and ended up snagging weeds on almost every cast. I gotta say, though, that the action on that thing is awesome as I could see it on a couple of occasions that I managed to get a weed-free retrieve! So, plan C, grab the brokeback Rappala (I know that's the not the name, but I just can't remember what the heck it's called and I'm not taking the time right now to look it up!) and tied it on. As soon as it hit the water, I nailed a dink LMB that went 9 inches and .5 oz, but as I was tossing him back, my son said, "Daddy! You forgot to put it on Pond Boss!" I realized the camera had been overlooked! Not to worry, though, as just two casts later, I caught that fish's identical twin! Same exact dimensions, and this time AJ reminded me as I was unhooking it that I needed to put it on Pond Boss! So, in honor of his helping me remember, here is fish #2 (who could pass exactly for fish #1):

I tossed him back and perhaps 5 or 6 casts later, had a very different feeling strike and fight on my hands. After a few moments, I reeled in this bad boy:

I'm not sure if it's a male or female, but he/she measured in at 8 inches and 9 oz. We have caught a lot of BG this size, with our biggest going 10 inches. Didn't get a weight on that one, though.

So, Day 1 with the lures was a fun time with modest success. However, we have some time to go with them and will probably take another stab tomorrow with the whole family getting in on the action.

The biggest nerve wracking excitement of the day, though, came when the Viking Spoon hung up in the middle of the pond! Fortunately, that's one of the shallowest areas as we have a VERY small island near the center, so the kids and I piled into the canoe and headed out to retrieve it, which we did without incident! Just for gratuitous dad sakes, here are a couple of pics with our three kids in the canoe and with just our oldest daughter piloting it by herself:

So much for the Day 1 report. We'll have more to come!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
awesome todd.....that jointed rap is really fun to fish.

i wont be checking in here for at least a week, glad i got to see yer report for my final lurk on pondboss for a bit.

good luck on the next go_round.....

GSF are people too!

A
A
*sigh*
I haven't been fishing in near 7 years and all this stuff makes me want to go dig my old 14' john boat out of the weeds and get new gear. Old tacklebox got so UV degraded it just fell apart one day and the whole thing went into the bin. frown

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Todd, buying the pond may have been the best thing you could do for those kids.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Great stuff Todd! I love the sound of the birds in the video. Both fish above look healthy, that's always a good sign. The three kids in the canoe that is what pond meistering is all about. The smile on your daughters face in the last photo reminds us that ponds are about more than just managing them and fishing in them - they are about building memories. Years from now both you and your children will look back on these times with fun filled memories. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to more photos and stories!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
smile -- grin -- cool

Great report. Looking forward to the next part. + what DD1 said.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Todd, lookin' good. Go get 'em on day 2.

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
awesome todd.....that jointed rap is really fun to fish.

i wont be checking in here for at least a week, glad i got to see yer report for my final lurk on pondboss for a bit.

good luck on the next go_round.....

That's it! The jointed rap - nice and that thing also has a really cool looking action to it. I'm going to have to buy one of those.

Looks like we're being weathered out today, but fortunately this coming week is fairly thin for me on the schedule, so there should be plenty of time to go and hit rounds 2, 3, 4 and maybe even 5!

Travel safely, DIED, and we'll look forward to hearing from you on your return!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Alpha Wolf
*sigh*
I haven't been fishing in near 7 years and all this stuff makes me want to go dig my old 14' john boat out of the weeds and get new gear. Old tacklebox got so UV degraded it just fell apart one day and the whole thing went into the bin. frown

Well, Wolf, we have plenty of spots open on the Traveling Lures calendar, so take a look at that thread (it's right below this one one level back up from this thread), pick a date, notify me directly, and I'll get you in the rotation! No need to wistfully sit on the sidelines, my friend! Join the fun and be a part of Pond Boss history, and universe changing significance and whatnot!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Todd, buying the pond may have been the best thing you could do for those kids.

Dave, my wife and I have said that so many times since last August it's not even funny! Our family as a whole has reaped such benefits from it that we can't begin to measure them. God seriously blessed us with bringing us to a point where we found it and were in position to buy. We thank Him every time we go out there. I absolutely agree about the kids - it has opened up a whole new world to them, learning about the outdoors, learning about the fun of spending your days running in the woods, climbing trees, hiking, exploring and finding nature's amazing treasures, visiting neighbors (something we don't dare do here in town, sadly), and just being independent. And we don't have a worry about them. They all got whistles for Christmas and they carry one with them so if they get into trouble we'll know and can come to them. But they've all really begun learning the layout of the property, especially in the woods, and they just go and cruise around on their own all day. Truly awesome!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Great stuff Todd! I love the sound of the birds in the video. Both fish above look healthy, that's always a good sign. The three kids in the canoe that is what pond meistering is all about. The smile on your daughters face in the last photo reminds us that ponds are about more than just managing them and fishing in them - they are about building memories. Years from now both you and your children will look back on these times with fun filled memories. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to more photos and stories!

You're right on, Jeff. They build memories ever time we go, but it's things like Lindsey learning to paddle a canoe all by herself - something the other two will pick up in their own time - that is definitely one of those lifelong memories centered around the farm and the ponds.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the birds in the video - I didn't really pay attention or notice them while I was shooting it, but when I watched it last night I had the same feeling. It was very cool all around.

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
smile -- grin -- cool

Great report. Looking forward to the next part. + what DD1 said.

Thanks, Eric. It was just another amazing day at the farm (Gotta come up with a catchy name for it instead of just calling it the farm). I'm looking forward to the next round as well, as soon as the weather works out. I may sneak out today and give it a shot anyway even with the rain coming on and off. Plus, we spotted a pretty big snapping turtle yesterday - first time we've seen one there and with the kids enjoying swimming in the pond, I'm now on an eradication mission. Me, the turtle, some patient waiting, and an AR-15 ought to make for a decent couple of hours today or tomorrow!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Todd, lookin' good. Go get 'em on day 2.

Thanks, Randy. Looking forward to seeing what the next effort produces!

Todd La Neve

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd --

I just poked my head out from my work computer and saw your post and photos. Fantastic. I'm glad you remembered the camera this time.

And, its a good thing you went out last night. It has been raining hard here since early this morning, and it looks like an almost straight line of heavy showers from here back to your side of the mountain.

Now, how are you going to find time to get any work done in the next couple of weeks? grin

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??