Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 883 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#217966 05/20/10 10:29 AM
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok I talked to a guy yesterday that swears by using cattle protien blocks all around his dock area. He takes a block (it looks just like a salt block in a way) and cuts it into 4 sections. He says he then throws the 4 sections into different spots in his pond and lets them sink. He says they attract minnows all type of sunfish and they love it. Of course then the bass come around because of all the other fish. He says they will last about 3 months or so. He said you can buy a block at the co-op for about 6 to 9 bucks. Has anyone else ever heard of this or tried it? It sounds like it could be possible. Like I said he swears by it.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Have not tried it - but based on the ingredients of protein blocks it may work. Here is a link on making your own protein blocks - but for the price is probably simpler to buy them.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/...-for-cattle.pdf

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Cap,

Your right the ingredients look good. And it sounds a whole lot easier and cheaper than slinging food. You could basically buy 2 block for the year and be done with it depending I suppose how many fish you have in your pond. And of course this won't work for bass. I may give it a try. At the price of a block it's worth trying just to see what happens.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Lunker
Lunker
When I first read this thread I got to wondering what the molasses in them does when thrown in water. Does it just dissolve? Does it attract fish like it does cattle? I've never heard of using sugary substances to attract fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just bet that a couple of these critters know what the fish are enjoying for snacks. grin

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Bullhead

I don't know??? It's the protein in the blocks that the fish like. Not sure about the molasses part?? I am going to to some more reading on it. But like I said this guy uses them and said he has plenty of nice size RES and BG eating them.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think I would want to know the protein level and the ingredients.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've used range cubes(20% protein) for chumming cats and feeding minnows, but for longer term fish gathering, just a can of dog or cat food in the brush occasionally. Range cubes have molasses in it; it seems to work well.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've soured grain to chum up catfish and it worked great. I knew a guy who broke up alfalfa bales to feed his catfish in a huge cattle watering tank. But most fish, to the best of my knowledge, need 32%.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ragland mills www.raglandmills.com has a Money Maker Protien block with 37 precent protien. Not sure what that costs or how it compares to the one the guy was using that told me about them??? But they at least do make them with a decent amount of protien.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I read their FAQ Section. They recommend that one of their protein blocks not be fed to sheep because one of the ingredients, copper, isn't right for sheep. If it's put together specifically for cattle, I don't believe I would feed it to my fish. There are too many unknowns.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
with all that molasses, I would be worried about the dreaded "Red Ear'd Diabetes"

smile

Last edited by Dustin Pratt; 05/22/10 07:49 PM.
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I read their FAQ Section. They recommend that one of their protein blocks not be fed to sheep because one of the ingredients, copper, isn't right for sheep. If it's put together specifically for cattle, I don't believe I would feed it to my fish. There are too many unknowns.

Hey Dave thanks for the heads up. I trust your judgement for sure and I apprecaite your input. I just heard he did this and thought it was kind of crazy, but I did not ask him what type of block he was using if I see him again I will ask him that.

Thanks again,

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Be careful of guys that always have a better idea or secret trick that no one else knows about. Usually upon closer examination it's not what it's cracked up to be.

Kind of like the info commercials that promise you the best gadget since the invention of the wheel but when you try it...

I just don't think anything takes the place of feeding fish quality feed especially designed for them on a regular basis. Shortcuts many times are cuts in quality.

I was catching and releasing bluegill and yellow perch from one of my ponds the other day that is fed heavily once a day. Looking at the full bellies and excellent condition of these fish I don't think I would try anything else.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/22/10 10:46 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM