Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (J. E. Craig, AlexJ, BCR Pond, Rick O, Pat Williamson, Bruno616), 740 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Quote:
We selectively breed our largemouth bass, thereby controlling the outcome and the quality of the bass produced.
Our selection of brood stock is used to produce the heaviest bass possible. When our bass reach 11 inches in length they usually weigh approximately 1 pound, which is of course extremely plump. Some of our brood stock originated in a colder climate than ours here at the hatchery. This is important for many reasons, first we get an extremely hardy fish that can survive our cold climate thus reducing winter kills. Lastly and just as important is that the original brood stock came from places that do not have a problem with largemouth bass disease, which is now in states south and west of Pennsylvania. There is not much known about this disease and there is currently no known cure.

Plus

Quote:
Suttle Fish Farm sells the Florida Largemouth Bass for pond stocking. Our strand of Bass are one of the best on the market. We have sold our Bass to state fish hatcheries and commercial fish hatcheries. The Florida Largemouth Bass is the ultimate species for stocking lakes and ponds. It is the number one sought after trophy fish. Mississippi state records have shown the bass reaching 18 lbs. and above.
The horizontal and vertical markings on the Florida Largemouth Bass are very distinct. The name "Largemouth" is certainly indicative of the very largemouth they possess.
The stocking rate for the bass should be in the ratio of one bass to ten bluegill. They should be added in May,June, & July after the winter bluegill has reproduced. The Florida Bass is very cannibalistic and their main food supply is the bluegill. Studies have shown that in order for the bass to gain one pound in weight, five pounds of bluegill will be consumed.
Proper pond management is extremely important to promote the food chain of the bass. Adding the Florida Largemouth Bass to a pond with other species of bass will increase the genetic potential of that pond.
Suttle Fish Farm is extremely proud of our brood fish. enormous effort is made to maintain the genetic line of the Florida Largemouth Bass. Measures have been taken to ensure that no interbreeding takes place.
Clients of Suttle Fish Farm has reported three pound growth in one year. One client reported 4 pounds 15 ounces bass. Records indicate the bass was 15 months old. This was unusual but a great potential goal for everyone! You can expect 80% of your Florida Largemouth Bass to range from 3 pounds in one year. This is the usual report from clients.

Equals = supper hardy, aggressive, and fast growing fish in both length and width.

T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Here is my plan for trophy bass for a 15 acre pond.

The Fish
Florida LMB, 750, 1 to 2 inch = 700 dollars total - www.suttlefish.com
Northern LMB, 750, 1 to 2 inch = 700 dollars total –Schultz’s Fish www.buybass.com
Bluegill, 3,750, 1 to 2 inch = 1,875 dollars total – Schultz’s Fish www.buybass.com
Copper nose Bluegill 3,750, 1 to 2 inch = 1,875 dollars total – www.suttlefish.com
Forage
Fathead minnows, 300 pounds, = 2,160 dollars total – www.buybass.com
Golden Shiners, 50 pounds, = 450 dollars total – www.jonesfish.com
Gizzard Shad, 4,000 fish, = 1,200 dollars total – www.lakework.com
Crayfish, 600 pound, = 2,100 dollars total – www.lakework.com
Supplies
Trophy Grower Max Fertilizer, 150 pounds, = 300 dollars total
5.1AF Kasko Surface Aerator, 3, 9,000 dollars total
Lake Life Pump, 1, 4,800 dollars total
Honey Hole Tree, 10, = 1,250 dollars total
Honey Hole Shrub, 10, = 1,100 dollars total
LaDredge Reel Weeds, 120, = 950 dollars total
Small FishHab boxes, 100, = 200 dollars total
Large FishHab boxes, 50, = 300 dollars total
5½ Foot Bill Dance Porcupine Fish Attractor, 10, = 145 dollars total
4½ Foot Bill Dance Porcupine Fish Attractor, 10, = 135 dollars total
Bo-Jo fish light, 4, = 744 dollars total
Fish Hut Habitat, 10, = 2,000 dollars total

Not all the Habitat products and everything is going in. I just added it all before selecting what I want, but not what I will have only.

Last edited by troutmanager; 05/19/10 01:24 PM.
T
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
T
Again this is not going to happen over night...To expensive...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Few questions--- How big is your pond/lake?
Does it have fish?
you wont need gizzard shad for a few years after bass go in, now Threadfin Shad on the other hand can go in with the other stuff. I see one of your sources is Lakework.com thats Greg Grimes and if your in his area GA I would advise getting his help as he really knows how to grow big bass. He is also on this forum. Im not that familiar with your other sources. Overall you have a pretty good plan going and in the right direction for sure.

I dont know how big your pond is or if it currently has fish, but you will (in a prefect world) not add the bass unitl the spring after you stock the other fish in the fall. Also you have a total of 7500 BG/CNBG and 1500 bass that 5:1 the minimum most will reccomend on this forum will be 10:1, and many will suggest up to 50:1. If trophy bass is goal I would go with a higher, I ended up with 35:1 in mine.

Sorry I now see 15 acre pond, well if you want 1500 bass then IMHO you should go up in bg/cnbg or down in bass or both.

That is how I did my 8 arce trophy bass pond, bass in almost a year now.
Personally I like golden shiners and would get a few more, but others would probably think thats enough.

hope this is what your looking for.

Get out and fish.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
im curious as to why you need 2 aeration systems on the same lake. I dont know much about that at all, but I think the lake life pump pushes water down and them comes back up and an aeration system would add bubbles at the bottom and lift the water up. I would think this would be counter productive if not set up far enough apart. But again I dont know anything about aeration.

Get out and fish.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You may have a hard time getting comments on the stocking numbers without knowing who's plan it is, and give them a chance to explain the plan; including the time line.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM