Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 803 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Hello.

Maybe I should have asked this before. However, I just ordered a 12 foot windmill for our pond from OWS. I was torn between the Koenders and this company. However, OWS offered a better warranty and they had some new features which sold me on it - hopefully worth it.

Has anyone purchased one of these units from OWS? How easy/difficult was it to install and get running?

The only other thing I didn't know if the units shipped with were a system to anchor it into the ground? We have some pretty ferocious winds our way when it blows!

I've got people with ponds in our area with no aeration and they think I am nuts for putting one of these in. I guess I am hoping to keep my stocking of fish happy and healthier with it.

I would love to hear from other owners of these systems to get their input.

Thanks,

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
RC

You are not nuts for adding aeration, you are employing a critical element of pond management - maintaining water quality!

I believe Lusk is a big fan of OWS - I would encourage you to email him and pick his brain. Bob is very selective about whom he allows to market in Pond Boss, so you know they have survived his scrutiny they are a quality organization.

If you're not going with an electric or solar system, windmill is the way to go IMO.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
Aeration is the best thing you can do for a pond. Windmill it not the best route. If your under thousand feet from the pond , go electric.

i only wanted to have some fun
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
We've installed an OWS windmill. It does come with an anchoring system although if the winds are as strong as you suggest and or your soils are loose, I would recommend pouring concrete footings. Our project was in rangeland with cattle and we were concerned about cattle and horses rubbing up against it so the property manager built a barbed wire fence around it too. We also outfited it with our own diffuser as we are not big fans of air stones. It was more difficult to build than I had anticipated but it was my first one and there was also some trouble shooting to find a busted fitting that was leaking air. It took two men about a day and a half for the complete install. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
Each of our Aeration units comes with 3 ground stakes that are 4' in length. We strongly suggest using a secondary anchor system (concrete footings or screw in anchors) as the wind can be tough on these if not anchored properly.

We sell quite a few systems to people that don't have immediate access to electricity or just want to save on their monthly electric bill. If someone wants to use electric, we now offer an Aerator Control Box that allows you to connect the windmill and an electric aerator together and run through one set of airlines. It turns on the electric aerator when the wind isn't blowing (allowing you to aerate 24 hours a day and yet only use electric when needed).

Call our office at 1-866-471-1614 if you have any questions as you get into the assembly.

Thanks,

John Redd
Outdoor Water Solutions
http://www.OutdoorWaterSolutions.com
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Rcooked;
I ordered and installed a 20' system last month and had some difficulty with the instructions. If your mechanically inclined, you can figure them out, but be prepared for some frustrations. Once assembled, I was satisified with the end result, but it took 2 of us about 10 hours to assemble from box to bubbles.
I'd recommend against ordering and installing the hinges as I believe the are flawed in their design and could potentially let loose of the tower legs (that could be ugly).
Good luck-
Joe

R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Joe G,

I got the unit finally completed and installed this evening. Now, I just need to attach the air stone, and sink the line and I will be all set. I am pleased with the unit, but I have to admit there were a couple of times I was fed up completely.

Couple tips for anyone using this - read the directions carefully, as a couple areas should maybe be bolded to highlight important steps, and also when attaching the front cover on the unit, I had to drill out the screw holes to make them large enough to have the screws go in.

Seems like a solid unit though, and hopefully the unit will provide many years of reliable action. Tonight was a calm night here (which is rare), so it worked out well for install. The light breeze we did have was moving air through the line, so it must be working.

Anyways, one more project pretty much completed.

I subscribe!

Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I just completed sinking the aeration stone from my OWS windmill this morning. I placed it in a bucket and tied off a line with a mallard decoy to the bucket so that I could mark it and retrieve it as needed.

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the volume the 12 foot unit is putting out at my place in the breeze presently.

I was on the fence about the unit initially. However, not wanting to run electricity and keep things somewhat "green", I think this unit is going to provide many years of reliable service for the fish and pond.

I know a lot of folks don't like windmills, but for those of you not wanting to run power. I would definitely consider a windmill from OWS versus running nothing at all.

Next up... tying the bricks to the line and sinking it. Too much wind today to attempt on the paddle boat.

I subscribe!

Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM