Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (jpsdad, Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 699 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
From all of my reading is seems that the only way to post a pic is by using an ONLINE photo album. If I am wrong please let me know. I am a rather private type that does not use my space/facebook or photobucket. I have plenty of pictures but I keep them on my computer, not an online album. I want to post pictures directly from my pc without having to send my pictures through cyberspace to some album to do it. Is there anyway to ENABLE the HTML so this can be done? I want to share some things as long as it’s at my discretion.

I subscribe!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Good question. As far as I know, which is not much, about this stuff, you have to use an online picture host to post pictures currently.

If someone knows different, jump in.

Last edited by Sunil; 04/19/10 10:26 AM. Reason: sp.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Please do since it sure would make things SIMPLE!

I subscribe!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
JKB can, but I believe it has to do with the operating system that he is running.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Are you sure you'd want to post pictures here directly from your browser? I would be concerned about security issues although I may be wrong.

Additionally wouldn't saving pics on the website's server create an awful burden on the bandwith of this website with more cost to the provider?

I actually have thanked my lucky stars I had pics posted on photobucket. My hard drive got fried and if not for photobucket they would have been gone forever.

Please don't take this the wrong way but what's so hard about copying and pasting the img link from photobucket into your post box?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
CB, Never said it was hard to copy and paste from an online album, we both know thats simple. My issue is having to store my pictures on the online ablum just to be able to post them on this site. This is the only website i use that does not enable HTML. When it is enabled its safer, simpler, and quicker to post pictures at my discretion. I already store them on my computer, i also have backup storage devices as well...at home. It's a matter of privacy and control. When they are on my home pc only i have access, and i get to say who can and cannot see something. I cant control who has access to an online website.

I subscribe!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
On this forum they need to be stored somewhere online. Bandwidth issues.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
You could use FTP to upload your photos to the "web storage space" that most most e-mail providers supply.

I used to host all my photos on my Internet server. I quit that for the simplicity of Photo Bucket.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I am actually relieved that this forum does not support direct uploads. The amount of bandwith required would put a lot of support burden on our kind and gracious host Bob Lusk.

It also sloooowwwsss forums down and with sites like photobucket available why bother with all that hassle?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Why the fear of Photobucket? You can control who can see your photos on it, to include no one but you... That is what my setting is. I am the only one who can view the photos I put on Photobucket.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: rcn11thacr
Please do since it sure would make things SIMPLE!

You should check out Drop Box.

It's simpler and probably more secure than the others. I don't see any down side to it. As long as you post fishing pictures, and nothing personal or illegal, I don't see any risk at all.

Drop Box

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
It's a matter of privacy and control. When they are on my home pc only i have access, and i get to say who can and cannot see something. I cant control who has access to an online website.

This isn't completely true if you are using the computer, that has the pics, to access the internet. Always potential of someone on the internet finding a way to access them.

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Why would you have concerns about an online photo album? If the album exists just for posting to pondboss then all the photos would be accessable to anyone who has an account with pondboss. Not a lot of security involved in a pond boss account. (not that any is needed)

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
From all of my reading is seems that the only way to post a pic is by using an ONLINE photo album. If I am wrong please let me know. I am a rather private type that does not use my space/facebook or photobucket. I have plenty of pictures but I keep them on my computer, not an online album. I want to post pictures directly from my pc without having to send my pictures through cyberspace to some album to do it. Is there anyway to ENABLE the HTML so this can be done? I want to share some things as long as it’s at my discretion.

Ditto. And I have hundreds of pond boss related photos. Hundreds, soon to be over a thousand.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 04/19/10 09:14 AM.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Thanks pond frog for saying what you thought in the face of all of this opposition. I have to admit; I was surprised that there were not more that agreed with me. Don’t get me wrong, im not always right and its still a free country (for the moment anyway). Everyone else was right in many ways as well. It’s not impossible to use an online album. That being said, how often have you seen a forum that has a huge thread titled "how to post pictures"? Most forums don’t have such a thread because the HTML is enabled and it only takes 20 seconds to post a picture. You never have to find a host, open an account, store "pond" pictures separate from other family pictures, log on when writing a thread, then copy and paste a URL so my buddies (that would be the pond boss forum members) can see what I want them to see. You would conclude that’s why there is a huge post pictures thread...because it takes more steps to do it this way than having HTML enabled. Hard things have to be taught. As far as bandwidth and website owner cost? That part was not calculated in to my bubble making process (im standing on my soapbox :)) Thanks to all for your input and opinions, all of you made good points. It’s obvious what I will have to do if I want to share more than an opinion here as much as I dislike it.

Last edited by rcn11thacr; 04/19/10 09:41 AM.

I subscribe!
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
On a side note, pics that are posted on sites like photobucket are only going to be visible as long as the URL remains the same. If you post pictures on the server where the forum is hosted the pictures will be available indefinitely, or at least until they are deleted off of the server. It is a little frustrating to read a thread and not see a pic people are commenting about, but it's not the end of the world.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I agree LR. Some of the sites i go on have a blank spot with the photobucket title and a statement that says picture no longer available.

I subscribe!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
RCN/All;

Great topic, sorry I'm late chiming in. Software updates have been developed over the past few years for the forum and will be implemented very soon. One element of improved functionality includes the member ability to post photos directly from one's desktop and circumnavigating the current cut and paste process. Users will have a choice on what method to employ - the "new" way or the "old" way. There exist some additional new functions for the forum-and some new services/products on the website as well that I think will be well received. Keep your opinions and ideas coming! It's critical the most valuable resource of the forum, it's members, continue to provide direction!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
TJ, I'd kiss you....but i wound'nt! Thats great news! Any idea when it will be available?

I subscribe!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It will be very important to be able to easily go in and change the existing pics from photobucket etc to forum hosted so we don't lose any more pics.

Lunker
Lunker
Bob will be addressing the forum very soon. I want to encourage everyone to please continue voicing your opinions and ideas on potential improvements for the forum/website. If you feel more comfortable doing so via PM or email never hesitate to contact me. I know Bob also welcomes any input. My email address is:

tjhudson@hudrix.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Bob will be addressing the forum very soon. I want to encourage everyone to please continue voicing your opinions and ideas on potential improvements for the forum/website. If you feel more comfortable doing so via PM or email never hesitate to contact me. I know Bob also welcomes any input. My email address is:

tjhudson@hudrix.com

Another forum that I frequent (for work issues) is the elsmarcove. One feature I like about that is, if you're looking at all the different forum thread titles, you can place your mouse over each title and it will give you the first couple lines of the original post.

I also like that each thread shows the date that the thread started (in addition to the original poster's name.)

It doesn't seem like the second feature would take all that much work to incorporate into the present system, but it's a nice feature that can help give viewers a little more info.

If you want to check out the features on the forum go here

One feature I like better on the PB forum is how it shows that there is new content to a certain thread. In the other forum it distinguishes new-content-containing threads by using bold text. Here at PB I like that the memo pad (or whatever that is) is yellow.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cool TJ, Thanks Bob!

My Mom just got a new gizmo that can take old Polaroid, 35mm and negatives and turn them in to digital photos. Not sure how the quality is, but, anything is better than nothing.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've been trying to get this picture posted since my ole bud caught a while back. Dang computaters.

JKB, I need to know what your mom's contraption is that she bought.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
CB, Never said it was hard to copy and paste from an online album, we both know thats simple.

Sorry I misunderstood you. Normally the complaint is, it's to difficult, so I ASSumed that was what you meant. Sorry!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/19/10 09:34 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass