Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212893 04/15/10 01:15 AM
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I like the idea of feeding trout to bass as forage as well as having some in the winter months to fish for. I have both a pond that will one day be ready for some winter trout, and a small one that I can stock more heavily to actually catch some.

I dont know if there are any trout producers close enought to me to be cost effective to pay delivery, much less have various sizes of trout at the times I would need them. Really I would be fine not stocking them until late jan or feb and only have them in the pond a month or two before they die off/get eaten by bass.

In a pond with no supplemental feeding, how much will a 9 inch trout grow in 3-4 months, as it starts to heat up?

Now to the question of raising them. Many forum members overwinter tilapia/ raise fish of their own. Could I raise them from egg, or would they have to be fingerling? Also would they be cannabilistic? of course if I tried to raise them I would feed them. Would I do this in a cage at a pond, or in a controlled environment like tubs in my garage? Once again where would I get the eggs/small trout. I was thinking if they were small enough I would just have them overnighted, but dont know if that would ever be an option.

It will probably never happen but its on my mind, and I figure you guys would have something to say.

Of course if I found a close supplier or someone to split the delivery costs with, I would just buy them and go about my way. trying to grow them out may cost more money in the long run anyway.

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: jakeb
In a pond with no supplemental feeding, how much will a 9 inch trout grow in 3-4 months, as it starts to heat up?

We stock trout into our creek by our hunting cabin every late March. In 3 months, they'll put on about a half inch per month without supplemental feed. However, the creek is absolutely loaded with forage fish, crayfish and insect hatches. The brown trout seem to grow a bit faster. However, with your goals, I would stick with rainbows.

Could I raise them from egg, or would they have to be fingerling?

You could raise them from egg, however you would have to invest in a lot of equipment that would run in the thousands... Fingerlings would be more reasonable, but still would be an expensive proposition.

Also would they be cannabilistic?

Yes, they would be VERY cannibalistic! Trout growers are constantly having to grade their fish to keep them from eating each other. This is more important with brown trout, but rainbows will also have the same issue.

Would I do this in a cage at a pond, or in a controlled environment like tubs in my garage?

If you were going to be hatching the trout from egg, you'd need specialized equipment. Your biggest challenge will be finding cold high quality water to use, whether raising trout from egg or as a fingerling. A hatchery jar, like the McDonald type would work. What is your source of cold 60-65 degree water going to be? You're going to need this cold water even during the summer months to get your trout to the desirable size you're looking for. The effort to hatch and then raise the trout would be incredibly expensive and time consuming. Cecil may be able to give you better info on how he has done it on a small scale if he has raised trout from eggs.

Once again where would I get the eggs/small trout. I was thinking if they were small enough I would just have them overnighted, but dont know if that would ever be an option.

Overnighting eyed eggs wouldn't be an issue. Overnighting small fingerling trout maybe an option, but I would have to imagine it would be costly as you would have to keep them in extremely uncrowded conditions in the shipping containers.

I think your best bet would be to find the nearest hatchery and contracting out with someone to haul trout to you... The amount of money and time you'd have to put into raising trout from eggs or small fingerlings would far exceed the cost of paying for the trout to be hauled to you.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Ok thats about what I figured, thanks for the info. I have found several trout dealers but they are in MO, and north AR, all 300+ miles away, but I may find something sometime.

With the growth rates you mention, I could stock whenever conveinent and they should not outgrow a 2-3lb Bass if I get them at a small size. Correct? Then if I thought it worked the next year I could add a bigger size for 4-5 lb bass etc.

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, I would be surprised if they outgrew bass... If you don't feed them, that would be highly doubtful.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I would rather get large trout and feed small bass to them. \:D

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
each to his own!

Get out and fish.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

We stock trout into our creek by our hunting cabin every late March. In 3 months, they'll put on about a half inch per month without supplemental feed. However, the creek is absolutely loaded with forage fish, crayfish and insect hatches. The brown trout seem to grow a bit faster. However, with your goals, I would stick with rainbows.

Could I raise them from egg, or would they have to be fingerling?

You could raise them from egg, however you would have to invest in a lot of equipment that would run in the thousands... Fingerlings would be more reasonable, but still would be an expensive proposition.

Also would they be cannabilistic?

Yes, they would be VERY cannibalistic! Trout growers are constantly having to grade their fish to keep them from eating each other. This is more important with brown trout, but rainbows will also have the same issue.

Would I do this in a cage at a pond, or in a controlled environment like tubs in my garage?

If you were going to be hatching the trout from egg, you'd need specialized equipment. Your biggest challenge will be finding cold high quality water to use, whether raising trout from egg or as a fingerling. A hatchery jar, like the McDonald type would work. What is your source of cold 60-65 degree water going to be? You're going to need this cold water even during the summer months to get your trout to the desirable size you're looking for. The effort to hatch and then raise the trout would be incredibly expensive and time consuming. Cecil may be able to give you better info on how he has done it on a small scale if he has raised trout from eggs.

Once again where would I get the eggs/small trout. I was thinking if they were small enough I would just have them overnighted, but dont know if that would ever be an option.

Overnighting eyed eggs wouldn't be an issue. Overnighting small fingerling trout maybe an option, but I would have to imagine it would be costly as you would have to keep them in extremely uncrowded conditions in the shipping containers.

I think your best bet would be to find the nearest hatchery and contracting out with someone to haul trout to you... The amount of money and time you'd have to put into raising trout from eggs or small fingerlings would far exceed the cost of paying for the trout to be hauled to you.

Hey CJ, are you mistaking Trout for Walleye. Trout are really easy to raise and really easy to hatch from eyed eggs.

A lot of schools across the country raise salmonids in classrooms. And, NO, they are not Cannibalistic.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403_46404-187698--,00.html

JKB #213026 04/15/10 10:27 PM
J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
well if kids in the classroom can do it, I sure hope i can thanks for the info Ill have to do a little more research

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nope, not mistaking trout for walleye. Jake, if you raise some trout, let me know how much money you drop into it and what your final results are.

J
jakeb Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Haha Ill do it, I read a deal that the students have about $4000 worth of equipment and only raise about 200, I dont know how much more it would take to get into the 1000+ fish range. I am just on the lookout for the closest trout producer and or someone around me to help split the delivery charge, but ya raising them is not gonna be worth it at all. Ill save that effort for overwintering tilapia or cage raising some fish that I know can be done first.

Get out and fish.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You could buy and transport a lot of trout for $4000 which was my point... Plus, if you screw up and kill your trout, well that's an expensive learning curve. Throw in trying to source 60-65 degree water in OK could be a challenge as compared to say Michigan. And then there is the cost of the buying and shipping the trout eggs to you. But, if you do decide to go that route, let us know how it works out. Will definitely be an interesting ride!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Oh well \:\(

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images