Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (Theschack, jpsdad, FishinRod, Boondoggle, Sunil, Funky, eaunatural, Theo Gallus, catscratch, emactxag, Bruno616, simon), 1,036 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#211825 04/07/10 07:53 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
About 5 acres of water surface to explore. Fishing is not a top priority as much as simply being able to enjoy the pond by floating and exploring...but...being able to carry a rod and a tackle box to wet a line wouldn't hurt, either.
We have an old beater jon boat; awkward and uncomfortable. I want to be able to just push off the dock in a nice, AFFORDABLE little water scooter to just putz around. Those little paddle boats seem to meet the need.

I see that they now have a small transom area to be able to attach a trolling motor; love that idea, too. I'm 6'-3", so concerned for size and legroom.
Who has one? What's the pros and cons?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Some models (older types) can be hard to paddle in the wind. There are a bunch of types - try some out first. Your pic looks a lot better than the ones I have used. ? built in ice chest/storage . Weight could be a factor in removal from water.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Try looking at Pelican Pedal Boats -Large selection & Prices seem right. I havr ridden in these and they were fun on a small pond.I have seen some models at Gander Mountain, Pamida & Target stores. I plan to get one this year

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
We have one very similar. I am 5'8" and it seems a little tight for me. The seats adjust back, but when I do that it is a little tight for me to get the back end in between the sides of the seat. You will get a work out peddling. Also, ours will collect water between the top shell and the bottom shell when it rains. Their is a plug to take out and drain it, but it is kinda a pain. I would suggest covering the boat with a tarp to avoid the water getting in. Finally, fishing is a little difficult I think. It seems hard to steer when trying to move just a short distance while fishing. When just riding around, it is easy to steer. You just need some momentum and steering is pretty easy. The trolling motor option would make fishing much easier I think.

Mikey

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
JWHAP wants a pedal boat. I'm not completely convinced. I find a kayak fits the bill for a good all around boat. Fun to fish out of, easy to maneuver, light weight to carry around.

That being said I'd love to see you paddling this around Brettski...

Heck there's even a pirate ship for DIED:

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Brett have we one. We bought it used last year for 300$. The grandkids love it and even my big person enjoys taking it for a spin ever now and then. I will say the smaller you are the faster they move. My grandson can almost get it on plane. I can't move near as fast has he does the water line is much higher when I'm on board. It came with a padded seat and canopy but we never use it.

Last edited by rockytopper; 04/07/10 12:59 PM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
My brother use to work here. They make some quality stuff and have a large selection.

http://www.klindustries.com/catalog.php

I hope posting a link is not against rules. If it is, let me know.

After closer observation, I see you are looking at the same manufacturer. About 20 miles from me.

My brother says they are really nice (he had one before the divorce) Just lay low on the beverages with that extra karma, otherwise it is hard to get back to dock. Might be fun!

Last edited by JKB; 04/07/10 05:18 PM.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Brettski, Tractor supply has a nice one at a great price, We've been thinking about getting one also.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/gifts-home/...-canopy-5201392

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Brettski, Tractor supply has a nice one at a great price, We've been thinking about getting one also.

That would not be so good a purchase for a 6'3" person as the seats are fixed.

Us tall people never get a break!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm looking at getting one too. Costco has one for $499 that looks pretty sturdy.

Like Brettski, fishing is kind of secondary. I'm wondering how difficult it is to get back in if you decide to go for a swim -- whether for my decrepit 63 YO body or my 6 YO rather spry granddaughter.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
That company also makes a model with an adjustable seat but I don't know if TS carries it.
http://www.boatownersworld.com/kli/sun_slider.htm

You tall guys quit complaining, studies show that tall people get the best jobs and make the most money. \:D

Here's a ladder for ya Ken.
http://www.ezriserproducts.com/jetskistep1.htm

Last edited by adirondack pond; 04/07/10 06:05 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Upper body strength, if it is foam filled.

Just my opinion, but I think they are more for just putting around in. Not as a swimming platform or life saving platform. The ones that won't sink immediately cost a bit more, like a Boston Whaler, but you still have to get in, or hang on. So safety is your call.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
bski, walmart has some real nice pond boats that average between 3-500 dollars and they have been built for trolling motors. They are plastic, small and light enough to manuver easily.

I subscribe!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I managed a pond with a paddleboat very similar to the one in the photo. Was a hoot. A Pelican. Seats had three positions. I'm 6 foot, and it was not exactly full leg extension on farthest or last position. The canopy was kind of lame. But thing got used all of the time. Was one design flaw, or made for a full time level pond. The rudder extended too low and got snapped off over and over being dragged up on shore. Lasted an incredible 5 years. I put a lot of fixes on it. Rudder several times, to the point I just left it off and put it on when I got there. Steering shaft, steering handles. Thing was really built well. It's pretty much mothball fleet material now as we have two aluminums and a canoe in there. I dropped one of my ancient foremost 12 footers in there. The old Monkey Wards powder blue. Olny complkaint I have is knees really got stiff because of no full leg extension. But we would get two adults and three kids on it fishing. Can't fish with canopy, and this was never brought indoors so it just weathered year after year. I'll take a photo of what's left of it. If you take care of it, a paddleboat is a great investment. No parts on it ever really wore out, and it was used daily for years.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: JKB
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

That would not be so good a purchase for a 6'3" person as the seats are fixed.

Us tall people never get a break!

I have to disagree. I'm 6'5" and have no issues with it. Yes it could be a little better but it's roomy enough to play around and fish a small pond in. But I will add I'm long bodied and short legged for a 6'5" person. A long legged fellow might not fit as well as I do.

Last edited by rockytopper; 04/08/10 09:02 AM.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski:

I've seen some small pontoon boats - 10' or so. That's be my choice with a small electric motor, but my wants/needs are different than yours.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
You know if the legroom is an issue, some models have fixed seats and some don't, and you are concerned I would try to find a place locally that rents them by the hour. This is not an item which is easy to pick up and return if disatisfied. You will know after an hour or two if that is going to work, and it should give you a great test drive feel. Also they are pretty heavy. I was always pulling it out of the water, and working on it, on it's side or flipped over. I would not, get a fixed seat model. They are almost made for kids and small adults. It looks like the one in the photo you show has 4 or 5 spots to move the seat back.

I would not use a trolling motor on one. I don't know how you could take away the drag of the paddles, which are fixed and under the boat. They would act like a block, and what would be the point of getting a paddle boat if you did not want to paddle it? I kept and oar in it for pushing away from the shore and turning while not paddling. Last, they are very, very ineffective against a strong headwind. Almost paddle in place. If you have a shoreline you can walk, I'd bring a long rope along and walk it back.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Brettski:

I've seen some small pontoon boats - 10' or so. That's be my choice with a small electric motor, but my wants/needs are different than yours.

I would also go with a small Pontoon. You would probably get much more enjoyment out of it. Unless you were into leg muscle development.

B'Skis place, which is beautiful, definite mini pontoon waters. You'll get more use out of it. A few bucks more, but at least it wont be up on the bank waiting for someone to use it.

Think about it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you can get me into one for about $600, turn me on

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Their nice but this is the cheapest one I've ever seen, atleast one that floats.
http://www.1stdirectproducts.com/repobospkit.html

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I've seen boats like this before, they work fine with trolling motors. I'm just posting this link as an example of the style of boat, I don't know what they're called.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...SSELL_THUMBNAIL

I think that a paddleboat is still a good idea, they're easy for novices to figure out. Trolling motors get broken when kids use them, and canoes require experience.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brettski:

I'll tell you where to find the 2nd one that I find. I saw one sitting by the road 2 years ago when on a trip for work. When I returned that afternoon it was already gone.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cody shared some plans for a DIY plywood pond boat somewhere on here. No pedals on his but with your tendancy to tinker who knows!

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: DJT
Cody shared some plans for a DIY plywood pond boat somewhere on here. No pedals on his but with your tendancy to tinker who knows!

I could see a scaled down version of a Mississippi sternwheeler or sidewheeler as a winter project for Brettski next winter!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Bski, The link txlen added above is very close to what walmart has in stock at most stores, and the price is UNDER what you are looking to spend.

I subscribe!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM