Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
How do you know he's not up for adoption?

After all, family comes before friends right? Well except maybe inlaws.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
What a clever way to get an invitation to fish someone's ponds.

Seriously, Eastland you are welcome to give it a try. However, it will have to be after early April. I am having a shocking/survey done to find out exactly what I have. If interested, let me know. Its a long way to drive to catch one or two bass, but as I said you are welcome.

I will allow for the possibility that I may not have large numbers of LMB. Local poachers have worked their magic on my place. However, I can catch 10 to 15 LMB in my smaller ponds most any time (why haven't the poachers caught them also)...they don't have feeders and are not fished regularly.

The survey will answer that question. No way will I be convinced that my technique is at fault. There's a lot of things in life I can't do but catching fish is not one of them.

bmccreight,

I accept your generous offer....I mostly fly fish and my preferred technique on LMB is floaters early and late.

My Tilapia will go in the ponds this year on April 3...right after the survey/shocking.

Wish we had an annual Pond Boss convention. I sure would like to meet the folks on the board and trade fish stories and pond theories.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Thanks Meadowlark, I too wish we had a "Convention", that I would drive 4 hours for ! I will be stocking Tilapia as well this Spring, I'll probably be a couple of weeks behind you due to cooler temps. As for fishing...the results of your shocking survey will be the true measurement. That is, "IF" those hook"smart" fish don't see the boat coming, and swim to the other side of your pond \:\) Just messin with you, you are a great friend, and have been very helpful to me, I'm sure we'll be swapping stories in the months ahead.

B
B
Any time, I would be happy for some one to fish. I can't find any time to get out of Houston. I am betting fish are close to spawn, with weather being so warm. Told you I am on on the south east end of Leon county.
Thank's,
Bob

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Eastland, where will you get the tilapia? I've about decided to try it in one of my ponds.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Dave, this is really going to make you chuckle. I have a friend who raises them and sent 60 small ones to me thru the mail about a month ago. They are eating like MONSTERS and will go into my pond April 15th, they should start breeding around then. I only have 20 adult bass in my 2.5 acre (still filling) pond, so they should survive and breed well. From what I've read, Adults reproduce every six weeks, babies reproduce in 8-12 weeks, growout is 5.5 months...barring a bad start, I should have hundreds of thousands before weter temps dip back below 55 degrees. My first Bass spawn will have babies feasting on a forage base that was set in motion Sept. 2003 when I had 1/2 surface acre of water. In 30 days I will also be adding 200 cats and 200 of the dreaded and feared black crappie.

B
B
Funny how many things I google to read/learn about, an old PB thread shows up. Thought I would bring this one back to the top. I'm wondering the same thing about over fishing. I understand the harvest part, but on my 2 acre pond, how many hours can I fish before it is "over fished" creating hook shy fish? Couple hours a day, week, month..... Was there ever a PB article written on the subject?

Last edited by BrianL; 08/19/16 12:37 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
BrianL good question. Thread is over 10 years old. Stll has merit though. There is a lot here on the subject and yes several articles in PB mag.

There is a lot to the question's answer. Part is genetic with both LMB and BG (other fish also). Where do you want to start? You can search catchability for threads.

B
B
For my situation. I have CNBG stocked in February, and just stocked Tiger Bass fingerlings in July. They won't be ready to catch for a year+. Since the pond is in my yard, I always want to go fish, and for now that is catching the CNBG. I'll fish at least 3 times a week, catch 2 or 3 and stop, even though I don't want to:). When bass start to get big enough, how much fishing will cause an issue?

I'll search the "catchability" as well

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I have a 1 acre pond and I basically fish on the weekends only but not every weekend and I still have catch problems. The bigger your fish get the harder they are to catch.... Once you caught them a few times it gets even harder. You got to remember to switch things up. Keep em guessing.

For example even my CNBG the big ones get smart. I will fish near the feeder sometimes with a bug on a fly rod. Maybe catch one or 2 then I will throw some fish food in there and they will blow up on it! All kinds of fish there they just don't want what I am tossing... Same with LMB. I know I have bass from 13 inches to 20 or 21 inches but I have so much good baby BG for them it's hard to get them to bite. It can be a challenge at time specially at certain time of the year. Now in spring cause I don't have as many BG yet from spawn I can catch LMB much easier. A lot of things factor in. So really you can fish ALL you want that's not the problem.... it's the catching of the fish that's the problem. And it changes all the time. I would not fish a 2 acre pond more than 1 to 2 times a week and be careful as to how many fish I catch. Like you said it is hard to stop once they are biting!!! But if you fish it real hard and have a great time then I would give it an entire week or so before I fished it again that's just me tho.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
I only ice fish my ponds aside from some fly fishing 2-3x during Spring-Fall. Not necessarily by choice, but acreage and fishery/pond management for absentee land owner takes 99% of my time - the other 1% I like to catch my breath and soak it all in. Even with the ridiculously low fishing pressure, my larger fish are really tough to catch unless I match the "hatch". Live line nose hooked BG or GSH, pellet fly, fathead and slip bobber, no weight BG fillet under the dock, etc. It's especially tough in smaller bows like mine which are 2 ac, 1 ac, 1/3 ac and 1/20 ac - fewer fish from which to try and illicit a strike and keep fooling. Lucky for me I have grown to enjoy fishery management over angling - trying to grow those YOY to trophy status has been super challenging and rewarding.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
There is a fair amount of hook shy, hook smart, catchability info in the Common Pond Q&A Archives of the LMB Topic:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=255372#Post255372

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I only ice fish my ponds aside from some fly fishing 2-3x during Spring-Fall. Not necessarily by choice, but acreage and fishery/pond management for absentee land owner takes 99% of my time - the other 1% I like to catch my breath and soak it all in. Even with the ridiculously low fishing pressure, my larger fish are really tough to catch unless I match the "hatch". Live line nose hooked BG or GSH, pellet fly, fathead and slip bobber, no weight BG fillet under the dock, etc. It's especially tough in smaller bows like mine which are 2 ac, 1 ac, 1/3 ac and 1/20 ac - fewer fish from which to try and illicit a strike and keep fooling. Lucky for me I have grown to enjoy fishery management over angling - trying to grow those YOY to trophy status has been super challenging and rewarding.

TJ, try a crankbait! wink laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
I don't allow treble hooks in my ponds, Scott.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
You could just put straight hooks on the lure in place of treble and even drop it down to a single hook if desired. Might change the action a little though.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
F
F
I use small crankbaits and just cut 2 of the bends of each hook off. Probably will start using just one hook. When prefishing for a tournament you would be surprised how long a lmb will swim around with a rattle trap in its mouth with NO HOOKS on the bait at all. Have done this many,many times!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I found that out! wink

You can get yourself a set of split ring pliers and swap the treble hooks for single hooks. It's relatively easy to do, and won't affect the action of the crankbait.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Texas_Tackle_Split_Ring_Pliers/descpage-TTSRP.html

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
Flame I had forgotten about clipping two of the barbs off but did that on the rear hook on one small crankbait lure. I was catching lots of BG with it nearly always on the bottom hook and the rear trebble often got hooked near the eye or gill area and by clipping it to a single barb mostly eliminated the problem.

Last edited by snrub; 08/23/16 11:03 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: RC51
I have a 1 acre pond and I basically fish on the weekends only but not every weekend and I still have catch problems. The bigger your fish get the harder they are to catch.... Once you caught them a few times it gets even harder. You got to remember to switch things up. Keep em guessing.

For example even my CNBG the big ones get smart. I will fish near the feeder sometimes with a bug on a fly rod. Maybe catch one or 2 then I will throw some fish food in there and they will blow up on it! All kinds of fish there they just don't want what I am tossing... Same with LMB. I know I have bass from 13 inches to 20 or 21 inches but I have so much good baby BG for them it's hard to get them to bite. It can be a challenge at time specially at certain time of the year. Now in spring cause I don't have as many BG yet from spawn I can catch LMB much easier. A lot of things factor in. So really you can fish ALL you want that's not the problem.... it's the catching of the fish that's the problem. And it changes all the time. I would not fish a 2 acre pond more than 1 to 2 times a week and be careful as to how many fish I catch. Like you said it is hard to stop once they are biting!!! But if you fish it real hard and have a great time then I would give it an entire week or so before I fished it again that's just me tho.

RC

Sorry for digging up an older thread but i have similar issues with a 3/4 acre pond. I throw different lures in key areas and usually no bites. Throw some pellets in and almost instantly bass are gorging on them. Hard to keep track of how many big bass you have until it's pellet feeding time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails