Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
5 members (jmartin, catscratch, Kanon M, highflyer, Theo Gallus), 1,245 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Q
We have recently installed aerators in our inlet to the 450 acre lake we own property on. The Lake Association has not been interested in our views on the importance of aeration, rather they have been focused on herbicides (Reward) to kill the lilypads and the Eurasian Milfoil found about 5 years ago.

We understand the importance of controlling the milfoil, but we feel the bigger picture of the lake isn't clearly defined. We reviewed their monitoring data from past years and found they have plenty of data on BOD, COD, Phosphorous, Sechhi Disks, etc. However, the very obvious muck at the bottom has not been measured or studied. To their credit, they have tried to address the invasive weeds and the nutrient sources, and they spent considerable time on graphs, etc.

When we conveyed how important we felt aeration was, they went ahead and obtained one estimate which was presented to the board as an outragous expense and an unobtainable option suggested by us.

We firmly believe in the benefits of aeration and certainly don't view it as a cure-all, but rather as a part of the bigger picture of adequate lake management. Our aerators have been in place for approximately 6 weeks and we are noticing clear spots in our channel area. This is significant to us and certainly provides proof the aeration is working.

What we would like to do is provide to the association some type of data or study material, i.e. from a University of otherwise credible source on aeration and herbicide use and how they relate to the muck in a large lake and how they relate to nuisance weed growth. If someone can point us in the right direction, we'd surely appreciate the nudge...

Every day I realize how much I still have to learn ~
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
queenofthelake, welcome to Pond Boss, we're glad you found us. Hang on for some help from our resident experts.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
It also occured to me that if your body of water was artificially impounded you could have also used the screen name "queenofthedammed." \:D (sorry blatant Anne Rice ripoff).

Hold on and someone will get you a real answer.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Hello, QOTL, and welcome to the Forum.

NOTE: I see you have met JHAP. I hope you will treasure him as much as we do.

Most of us here have much smaller BOW (bodies of water) than 450 acres. However, the professional pond/lake managers in residence routinely deal with lakes around that size, and I believe there is a fair amount of experience present now on aerating them.

Trouble is, many of us and virtually all the Pros are getting ready to go to our semisesquiannual (what the heck IS the word that means "every 15 months"?) convention later this week. Many will be incomputicado for a week or so, so if we don't get you some good info within that time, please hang with us and give your question a bump to the top in 8-9 days.

I also ask you to contribute to our knowledge of what I would deem partial aeration of large BOW - your aeration of your inlet. First hand reports of the positive effects from a small area, lower cost than whole lake aeration approach would be enlightening and interesting. (We love pictures, by the way).

The March-April 2008 issue of PBMag had a special large section on aeration and at least one article specifically addressed large BOW aeration (I am sure the other articles also had information which would be of use to you). The entire 2008 year's worth of issues can be ordered with this link, but if you follow the contact instructions at the bottom of that page, I am sure the efficient and helpful staff at Pond Boss World Headquarters will get you just the March-April 2008 issue if you are interested (single back issues can be order from a copy of PBMag, but I can't find the single issue order form on the web right now) - assuming they aren't already out of town for the convention.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Welcome Queen of the Lake:
Educating the Lake Association can be a real challenge, I have learned that. So much so, that I am attending a Lake Leader Institute as to never be treated so shabbily by them in the future.
Are they treating the EWMilfoil with product that just knocks it down each year, or the big gun that is supposed to kill it?
There are so many experts here at PondBoss Forum, this is like a family of friends. So nice to find people that really care about their Body of Water, no matter what the size as apathy on these lakes seems to be the number one problem.
You may have to take a position or find a willing friend to do it on the Lake Board. We could have made zero progress here had we not been willing to do the work ourselves. (Man made lakes, six of them, managing them all to fix one).
I would find organizations in your state dedicated to water management and join them all. Knowledge is power you know? If they have a good mgmt. company on your lake they should know what to advise, just make sure they are a good company as their are bad dudes in the business, mostly good, but get stuck with a bad one and it can put you in a world of hurt. Good Luck.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Hi Queen Of The Lake,Welcome aboard,we're glad you found us.I'm no expert by any means,but for what its worth,here in Texas,most lakes are used for water suppuy and they areate most of them.However,they ussually put the diffusser in deep water,over by the dam.Contact your local state agents and get thier opinion,at least that step is free.
And please excuse us for slow response.As was mentioned,a lot of the experts,and regular members are gearing up for the conference.After today,Ill be offline til next week.Good luck,and please keep us posted.
As an on the side,if possible,please post pics,we like pics.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Hello QOTL, My area of responsibility includes your state. I would like to offer my services for training and educating your lake board. I would be more than willing to do a presentation for you or the entire board on "Aeration 101" and bring our local distributor for back up. I travel through your area about every other month. Let me know what you may have in mind and we can discuss a game plan. I will keep everyone here posted on what happens so they can learn from your experiences...As Theo Stated, got to go and pack..got an early plane fight to Branson, MO in the morning.

All the best,

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Hi Queen and welcome,

Back in the 60's there was a study done on the effects of aeration at El Capitan Reservoir in San Diego, CA. The study was done by the State in conjunction with SCRIPPS research institute. The full study is available online at http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1187&context=sio/lib The study puts things into terms that most managers can understand...the bottom line. The study clearly indicates that a sub-surface aeration system can pay for itself in reduced or eliminated chemical use and reduced evaporation. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Richard Dennis
EP Aeration
rich@epaeration.com
www.epaeration.com
(800) 556-9251

Q
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Q
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's been a long time since I've visited and posted and it's nice to see the responses, however late they may be.

Theo, I'll definitley check out the issue suggested. I'll also get some pictures together to post.

Wish I could have attended the recent conference. I did attend our PALMS conference in early March and learned a great deal there.

Thank you Cary! There will be a meeting with the Association and all its members in June. I'll try to contact you about coming out to speak for it.

Richard, I will check out the study.

Jeff, my last name would be queenofthedamned, bedamned, that is. lol

Q
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Q
You can view pictures of our channel area on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19113&id=110926975589901&saved

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length