Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Wait until the feral hogs make it North. They're a real trip.

Wait until Bigfoot makes it south.

ZING!
well played, Cecil, well played.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, we have had Bigfoot sightings around Lake Texoma.

Since Lusk went on a diet, the reports have slowed a lot.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
We have feral hogs up here, a number of BigFoot that frequent night clubs, but I guess I am too late for the possum party!

-----

P
Lunker
Lunker
P
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I knew they have slowly been spreading north over the last few decades but I didn't realize they've made it to Canada... Back in the 1800's, they didn't range any further north than the Mason-Dixon Line.

Heck I live here and neither did I, until I looked it up I assumed it was a runaway pet. ; )

They really are ugly.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
 Originally Posted By: skinnybass
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Wait until the feral hogs make it North. They're a real trip.

A friend of mine in MO hunts w/ dogs, and apparently there is a BIG warning about how to deal with Sus Scrofa if you shoot & kill one. Keep the dogs out of it, wear gloves while handling it, bury it in a plastic bag and mark the burial spot, call DNR and tell them where you put it, etc etc etc. I guess they carry all kinds of exotic distemper & other diseases, as well as just the general nastiness of a dead pig.

the eurasian wild boar is a BIG deal here, trying to keep them from getting any farther north, @ least.
-skinny

Soooo.... you can't eat them?

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
no clue if you can eat them or not, i'm not a hunter, and neither did i get this warning first hand. I think it has more to do with letting your dogs or livestock get into them for fear of transmitting the diseases they carry. Cooked bacon is cooked bacon, i would think. but....i wouldn't know either.

- -
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You can eat them...(they taste yummy!) You just have to make sure they are fully cooked, as in 160 degrees throughout. Feral swine can carry a host of nasties, so you wanna make sure they are dead before eating. Those nasties can also be transmitted while field dressing them, hence the recommendation of using gloves while field dressing them.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've eaten them but don't think they're all that great. Good pork is pretty cheap at the store.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Up here, we consider them to be delicacy "soft-shell armadillo." A little Old Bay goes a long way.

Somewhere here on the Pond Boss forum, I'm sure I have posted several good roadkill possum recipes. My favorite is possum BBQ. I can't find it. I guess I've been moderated by someone with a weak stomach.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
My fiance has a job surveying roadkill - don't ask me why that is paid for, the best answer i've ever gotten about it had something to do with monitoring migratory species in the area....i guess cars are a universal killer? - i got her an opossum cookbook once. She didn't think it was all that funny. I got a good chuckle out of it though. ;\)

- -
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
My fiance has a job surveying roadkill...

In 30 years of preparing tax returns I've seen some unusual occupations. Road Kill Surveyor (Road Kill Engineer?) has got to be up there in the top 20. Please note, I'm not in any way making fun of your fiance.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Please note, I'm not in any way making fun of your fiance.

Please do. \:\) ;\)

it's more of an internship or paid assistant-ship than a job, really. Again, there are reasons that i don't understand (damn science-talk)..but yeah, i guess they can tell what is passing through any given area at what times of year by monitoring the roadkill surveys. They can also then monitor the effect that like, county guys mowing the shoulders of the road and other small biogeographical changes have in the short term - you'd be surprised what little things like that do to a biome....the lawnmower example...it chases the toads out into the road, so you get an idea of what kinds of toads live in the area, then while the grass is short you get all the toad-hunting birds, lizards and small mammals, etc etc etc.

Although it is disgusting....it is an interesting study.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/31/10 11:00 AM.

- -
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
Road Kill Surveyor (Road Kill Engineer?) has got to be up there in the top 20.

wait a minute........didn't even crack the top 10? now i'm interested, JHAP, what is your top couple of oddjobs?

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/31/10 11:06 AM. Reason: and i write for a living...sheesh.

- -
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Sorry to break the accounting chain:

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
wait a minute........didn't even crack the top 10? now i'm interested, JHAP, what is your top couple of oddjobs?

Well keep in mind I said "unusual occupations" and by that I just meant not a standard job. And perhaps I was being too stingy not having your fiance's job break into the top 10. But here are few client's occupations that I felt were unusual.

One client (moved away so is no longer a client) was an Orca trainer at San Diego's Sea World. She spent her days in the tanks with the killer whales. Recent news events would tell you this can be quite a dangerous profession.

Another former client (passed away a number of years ago) was a marine wild life spotter. He owned a Partenavia Observer air plane. He started off working for a bait company assisting in spotting schools of bait in the Pacific. He was then contacted by Scripps Institute of Oceanography and while spotting for bait he began logging sitings of various marine wildlife (sharks, whales, etc). His plane looked like this... a section of the bottom is entirely made of glass so the pilot can view downward. (Note: this is just a photo I found on the internet).

I have a client that breeds exotic birds. Now I'm not talking about the standard fare of exotic birds like parrots (although he does breed Macaws as well and has a breeding pair of Haycinth Macaws that collectively are worth a fortune) but he specializes in rare raptors that are bred for zoos.

Another of my clients is a grower of rare orchids. He travels about the world collecting some of the more unusual species. He has green houses full of these orchids. Occasionally JWHAP and I go to his location just to walk through the green houses - it's like walking into a rain forest - climate controlled and kept at a balmy temperature. His orchid collection is quite literally worth millions.

One of my clients is a game artist for Sony. He has created several characters that are used in Sony Play Station games. He spends his day drawing and animating game characters. His art work is unreal - quite a talented individual.

Perhaps not particularly weird professions but not the standard 8 to 5 jobs either.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JHAP -- As you well know, not all CPAs and accountants have similar experiences and clients. Some are far more interesting than others.

Many years ago when Lynda was doing her CPA internship, one of her duties was income tax returns. We lived in a predominantly rural area that abutted a growing Washington DC suburb, with many of the new comers ("come here's" as the old families called us) coming from the big cities of the North East.

One afternoon, she could hear that the conversation in the next cubical wasn't going well between a young Eastern socialite who was trying to do the taxes for a very hardened and elderly Southern belle. It started with a discussion about subsidies, CRP, etc. It degraded into a difficult livestock discussion (think PETA), and finally to the young lady asking the mature belle if they had butchered or sold the bush hog they acquired about the same time they got their spring piglets, new heifers, and young steers.

Lynda and I became good friends with the Southern Belle (rest her soul) and her now 89 YO husband. We still laugh and recall the story every time I have to weld a piece back on my "bush hog".

More than once I've felt that my bush hog has become something pretty akin to road kill. Sober, or otherwise, I've never given it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. But, so far, I've not completely butchered that poor bush hog.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,

When was at Indiana University, there was a girl from NYC there. Someone made the comment that they had seen some deer on the north side of Bloomington as they were driving in. Her reply was, "Someone better contact the local zoo to get them back inside!"

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Northern NY is not exactly city. More wild than anywhere in
Indiana. I am not a NY native, but lets not get too high on our horse.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Quote:

"Why do hunters like to kill animals? Why don't they buy store meat where no animals were hurt to make it?
Killing is bad, so why don't hunters just buy store meat that's made without hurting animals? Does it taste different?"

I can't find the actual ad in the paper, but everyone fell off their chairs when I showed it to them. I did have a .jpg of it. This was about the same jist.

OOPS:

Last edited by JKB; 04/02/10 02:42 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I believe that I can honestly state that I've never been drunk enough to want to resuscitate a possum. Seems like this could be a good beer commercial.

Announcer: "Bud Light salutes you, Mr. Dead Opossum CPR Giver!"

Background vocalist: "I thought he was faking!"

Last edited by Todd3138; 04/02/10 04:37 PM.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Announcer: "Bud Light salutes you, Mr. Dead Opossum CPR Giver!"

Really Good Todd! That will probably ring in my head for a while \:\)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: RAH
Northern NY is not exactly city. More wild than anywhere in
Indiana. I am not a NY native, but lets not get too high on our horse.

Easy my fellow Hoosier. I know that. I said NYC. New York City.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/02/10 06:43 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??