Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Freg, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS), 955 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rugger Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
I found this site and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. About 2 years ago, my parents built a home in Illinois on lot #50 in the schematic below. My dad was really excited about the pond (the one in the lower right hand corner) and the fact that it was going to be stocked, because my kids (4 & 7 y.o. boys) are fishing fanatics and he knew they'd be really excited about fishing at Grandpa's pond. Well, only 5 of these lots have been built on and the builder is in the bankruptcy process so the pond is the least of the builders concerns. I'd like to stock the pond myself if possible. I started looking at the Pond Boss forums for ideas. My main concern is the runoff issues as this area was mostly dirt a year ago. There is now at least some weed growth and I'm considering trying to seed a few of the areas that are dirt. If you have any recommendations as to what kind of plants to seed, I'm all ears. There are also a lot of leaves in the water (don't know if that would pose any kind of problem in a small pond?). I was considering stocking fathead minnows and bluegill initially. As an avid fly fisherman myself, I'd love to stock some bass eventually, but am more concerned with getting a large bluegill population so the fishing for the kids is easy pickings, even if they are on the small side due to the lack of culling from predators. I'm not really sure of the pond size, but it's not very big. Hopefully, you can get an idea from the pix and schematics below. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as would suggestions for stocking ideas. I'm attaching a bunch of pictures to give you an idea. Thanks for any help in advance.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Hi Rugger, welcome. The experts will be a long shortly, but I can say that it would be ok to stock fatheads and bream immediately.
Catfish and crappie are another option, but I would say don't do it! Looks like a real nice place. Will you and your family be the main people fishing this pond?
Best of luck.

Just do it...
R
Rugger Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Until others move into the neighborhood, we'll probably be on our own. None of the other lots near them have been developed. It's actually a 50yo and up community so I think we'll be the main ones fishing here. Especially considering the 2 other ponds in the development and the fact that this one is kind of tucked away in a corner. I just remember that last year it would get really brown after rains and don't know if that would kill the fish. I figured since we are basically starting from scratch the experts on here could give me some tips to shorten the learning curve and do it right from the start

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The muddy run off isn't necessarily good, but unless it is extremely excessive, I don't think it will kill the fish. In a pond that size, skip the crappies. They overpopulate and stunt in almost all ponds they are stocked into without very special things being done to prevent this. If you are looking for a good kids fishing pond I would keep it simple. You can stock fatheads(FHM) this spring. See how they do through the summer. If they survive OK, then this fall I would stocked 2"-4" bluegill(BG) and 2"-4" redear sunfish(RES). 70% BG/30% RES mix. I would also stock the 2"-4" largemouth(LMB) with them. In northern waters, giving the sunfish a jump will lead to them stunting. You're LMB will focus on eating all the FHM that would be in the pond come fall and the sunfish should spawn the following spring and the bass will then prey on their young, keeping them in check. Go to http://acme.com/planimeter/ and use that website to get a good idea just how big the pond is. Hopefully it isn't so new as to not be on the map, but they update the satellite photos regularly. Once the bass and sunfish are stocked, you can decide if you want to add something a little different like yellow perch or channel catfish. But they can be added later. For what you are trying to accomplish, you want about a 5:1 ration of sunfish to bass in your pond. So if you find your pond is 1 acre, stock 500 sunfish and 100 bass. If it's a half acre, stock 250 sunfish and 50 bass keeping the 70% BG/30% RES ratio in mind. Good luck...

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello Rugger and welcome to Pond Boss. Knowledge is the key here and you came to the right place for that. We're glad you found us.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rugger:

Welcome! That pond looks like it gets the majority of it's water from runoff, and it was designed to be a rainwater retention pond. Do you know how deep it is? Usually those ponds aren't that deep, and if that's the case I'd be worried about the fish dying during the winter due to lack of oxygen, and cold water.

The picture that has the round rocks in the bottom center, and the slightly muddy strip of water in the center; is that water that's coming into the pond?

CJ: I looked my pond up on there, and the image is from Spring of 2005, before the renovation

Last edited by esshup; 03/28/10 01:15 PM. Reason: planimeter

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
What is the rough area of that pond?

I ask because we can also start to think about stocking numbers.

Like rmedgar said, I would also get fatheads in there immediately, and some bluegill, pending answers on the other questions posed thus far.

You might not have to worry about doing a full-on commercial stocking right now, as it's your money in a kind of public pond.

I would certainly go to a bait store and try to buy 10 dozen fatheads or so, just for the deep excitement of stocking fish.

Catching a few bluegill from other waters might be an avenue as long as your are good with fish identification. Accordingly, you might want to sort any fatheads you buy to make sure they are just fatheads. Sometimes other rough fish can get mixed in.

Sounds exciting!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Rugger Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
To answer a few of the questions, the map site is from before construction of the ponds. I looked at Google Earth and found the initial outline of the ponds before they were filled with water from a few years ago. I'll check to see if the builder has any info on the ponds. From what I remember they have a sloped surface for the first 8 feet so kids don't drown and then a depth of 10ft. I'll try to verify. Is this deep enough?

As for the picture of the rocks, If you look at the overall map, you'll see a smaller lake to the left which is at a higher elevation. The map shows a "trail" of rocks connecting the 2. It has some kind of drain in the right hand corner as pictured below. I think this pipe runs under the surface, covered by rocks probably for overflow into our pond. The strip you saw in the picture is actually a concrete pipe extending probably 10 feet from shore. You can see this in the panoramic pictures of the pond. Man, this forum is fantastic.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
10' should do it. An easy way to test it is to put a weight under a slip bobber. Use enough weight to sink the bobber. Cast around the pond, noting where the bobber floats or sinks, and adjust the slip stop on the bobber so just floats, measuring the depth that way. It'll give you an idea on how deep the water is.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Question is: Do you own "Full Legal Rights" to the pond, or is this a community pond? As is such in these developments.

You mentioned slope, and children could be hurt.

Who is footing the bill for the LIABILITY Insurance in this close knit development?

I lived in one, and am glad I don't.

My opinion, if you want a pond. Is to plan a move where you could actually have one.

I tried out a new Fly Rod ONCE, on the water and was quickly booted off the water by the resident gestapo. They provide the scape's, you provide them with money. NO FISHING!

BTW: Before you make a decision to move, and while thinking about it, toss in a couple of GSF's under cover of night.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
So harsh, JKB!???

With the plan going belly up, there might not be anyone around to care about what you do with the pond.

But that is why I suggested a low cost plan to introduce fish into the pond.

For all we know, Mr. Bullhead might already be there.

Last edited by Sunil; 03/28/10 03:26 PM.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Personally I'm a keep is simple stupid kind of guy when it comes to small ponds like that. If it's 1/4th acre or smaller I would plant hybrid bluegills.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I've dealt with HOA ponds since I was a kid. I grew up learning on 4 ponds in the brand new neighborhood my parents moved to when I was 10. I was lucky, nobody in my neighborhood cared and I had all 4 ponds to myself. They were barren of fish and stocking them was a learning experience as was the subsequent management of them. When my parents moved to a new neighborhood 10 years later, it was the same thing. Every summer when I was home from college, they were my little projects. One pond was over 6 acres and within 5 years I had bass over 8 pounds in it. Again, everyone I talked to thought it was just a nasty storm water retention hole. Who'd want to fish anything like that? I just laughed and said yeah, must just be bullheads and GSF in there! Forking out a pile of money for a pond that isn't yours and isn't under your control can be risky. I am again in the same situation now. I have 2 ponds in the neighborhood I live in. Like the ponds in this situation, they are simply storm water management ponds. Fortunately, they are not close to the homes in the neighborhood and sort of secluded. So most people in the neighborhood don't even know they exist. I am not forking out a lot of money to put fish into them, but I am still confident I can turn them into good fisheries. For now, that is all I have. Land around me runs 20-40k an acre, not easy to afford land big enough to build a pond even in this real estate market so I am doing the best I can with what I have. I wouldn't say don't do anything. Just keep your stocking plans to yourself and don't tell every neighbor about it. I went so far as posting signs that said fish consumption not advised due to pollution. It seemed to work!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow CJ you are living in the wrong part of the country. I think it's only $2000.00 an acre around here.

I tell you I'd be leary of getting attached to a pond in a subdivision. I've had enough trouble attempting to fish a public lake and getting flack from the lake residents. But as long as one looks at it as nothing to really lose and doesn't invest too much it's worth a go IMHO.

You make some good points CJ and I think it's pretty cool how you got some experience.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
So harsh, JKB!???

With the plan going belly up, there might not be anyone around to care about what you do with the pond.

But that is why I suggested a low cost plan to introduce fish into the pond.

For all we know, Mr. Bullhead might already be there.

Sunil, I would just change direction given the facts. And plan for something better in the future.

Not trying to be Harsh or Mean, NO Way! I just don't like seeing our brethren in a hopeless trap that they have no control over.

Still, My advice would be to pack up and move if you want a pond to your own. Not trying to be mean or rude.

Remember This: Once you loose control, you just gave it to someone else, and have NO MORE say in it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If I lived there, or close by, I would be playing with the pond, just not spending too much cash.

Get some fatheads going. It's so low cost.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Oh, and if you did some fathead and bluegill introductions, it might not be a bad idea to get some pellet food to charge things up.

R
Rugger Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
R
Hey guys, I understand your concerns over HOA etc. Here's the deal though, there has not been a single lot built on in over a year. The closest home is 5 lots away from the pond and that is on the other small pond shown a few posts back. With the way the real estate market is, it could be years before my parents even have a neighbor. Also, the pond is on their property so the kids won't be in neighbors yards even after houses are built. Lastly, the ponds were made with the idea of stocking them for fishing and that was one of the selling points of the property before the developer started going bankrupt. As for the slope, I was talking about the pond itself. Rather than an immediate steep drop off, the entire perimeter of the pond is a zero depth (or close to it) gradual slope. The whole idea is to get this thing stocked for my kids. We go to a local pond where they will catch 40-60 small bluegill on a summer morning, and I'd rather do it at my parents so they can spend time with Grandpa and Grandma. My 7 year old was having a blast catching BG's on his fly rod last year, and I'm excited for the upcoming spring season. One other thing, what's a GSF (I'm a newbie)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah Cecil, living within commuting distance of Washington, DC makes land prices a tad bit on the steep side. Ground that is completely clear cut without a stitch of timber value or farming value may drop the land price down in the 5-10K per acre and that is pushing the far outskirts of commuting distance. Sometimes packing up and moving isn't an option. That is my case... For now I am being patient and working with what I have. I keep saving money to one day buy the land of my dreams and build my own pond I have full control over.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I see that I am Toast!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
GSF=Green Sunfish

Rugger, decide what you are willing to spend on the pond knowing once you put it in the pond it's no longer yours. It's the same decision I have to make each and every time I stock the two ponds in my neighborhood. So far I have only spent money on the grass shrimp and lake chubsuckers I have put in the pond. It's sorta like playing the lottery... You can spend the money and hit is big with a great fishing hole no one bothers you with. Or you could spend the money to only have someone place who knows what into the pond and mess up the fishery or any of 50 other things that could go wrong. If you decide to go the adult fish route, we can work with you and give you good numbers for stocking adult fish as they are vastly different than stocking fingerlings.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Green Sun Fish. That is a bluegill cross. Some like 'em, some don't.

I would go to that local pond and catch some bluegill and bring them over to this pond. Many don't suggest transplanting fish from one pond to another without certain processes. But thats many times to protect existing fish in your own pond, where you have money invested and might introduce a disease, weed/water plant, or an off-species (why I had mentioned knowing fish ID).

But in your case, it's not really your pond, and we're assuming that there are no fish in there already to ruin, so to speak.

Spend a $50 to $100 if you can, and get some fatheads to throw in.

Once we know the size, we can suggest numbers. The sooner the better on the bluegill stockings as if you get some adults into the pond, you could pull of a bluegill spawn this spring/summer.

Then in 6 months or even better, a year, you can put some predator fish in like smallies, LMB, yellow perch, or something else.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: JKB
I see that I am Toast!

You don't look like toast.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Green Sun Fish. That is a bluegill cross.

???

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Also, it might not be a bad idea to try and do some worm fishing to see if there are fish in there already, unless you are sure there is not.

JKB, you're good. I think the main difference here that would be different than your HOA experience is that there isn't an HOA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday