Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, Justin W, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 757 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Well my mom always told me there are no dumb questions. If your not sure ask so here it goes!

Is there a difference in pond fertilizer v.s. lawn fertilizer? Can I just go down to Home Depot and get some 10-52-4 and use it in my pond? Please dont laugh to hard as I have no clue about fertilization except I need to test my water first to make sure I can get a bloom. Which I plan on doing in the next week or 2. Thanks to anyone who helps me out with this question as I feel kind of foolish asking it. \:\(

P.S. Let me edit this a minute. I am talking about the granular type lawn fertilizer not the manure type fertilizer.

Last edited by RC51; 03/17/10 03:45 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm interested in the answer as well! I'm thinking that it's the rate of solubility.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey esshup,

Glad to see I am not the only one who wonders??? I almost deleted the post as I felt kind of dumb asking it. I hope someone can tell me if there is a major difference? You can read all kinds of articals about rain running off lawns into ponds and creating an algae bloom?? So with that said that is why I am asking my question? Once again thanks to anyone who has answers and replies.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I think this is a great question. One part of me says chemical compounds are chemical compounds - NPK is NPK. Another part says those specially designed for pond fertilization might dissolve more readily and be far more suitable for broadcasting vs. lawn fertilizer. The trick is to get the fertilizer to dissolve quickly and not sink to the bottom of the pond where I think it would be useless - absorbed into the pond bottom rather than be distributed into the water column. This is only my guess - I've never fertilized, and doubt I ever will need to, but this advice is great forum info for us all. I look forward to the responses!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Considering how many people agree with RC51 (myself included) it is indeed a good question. I am interested to know as well.

I subscribe!
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks guys I apprecaite it! Hopefully we can get an answer soon.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It depends. How is that for an answer ? \:D

2 parts - chemicals are chemicals - NPK means NPK.

There are different types of fertilizer that can be used for ponds but the difference is not in the chemical part but in application. Three kinds of pond fertilizers - granular , liquid and water soluble. Try this link page 17 for a good explanation.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1428.pdf

Last edited by ewest; 03/17/10 08:57 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I would be very suprised if there is any difference in the manufacture of each granular type. It is possible the P granules are manufactured / processed to be better soluable in water than the lawn type, but I doubt it. Some lawn fertilizers now have slow release features. Someone should contact a salesperson for a fertilizer company that produces both types. In the olden days (20yrs ago) fish hatcheries standardly used ag fertilizer to nutrify their ponds. Liquid fertilizers are popular today at hatcheries to get quick and efficient nutrient release and distribution.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/17/10 09:05 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Eric,

That answer was the easy way out!!! \:\) \:\) Funny though. I didn't know if this question was worth posting or not??? But I guess maybe it was. Thanks for the link.

Bill,
Thanks that's what I am wondering if there is any real difference. I will do more research on see what I can come up with.
Thanks guys,

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Another cheap way is to go to a feed/fertilizer dealer and get a couple of gallons of liquid crop fertilizer. Put it in a pump sprayer and walk around the sides spraying. The numbers aren't right but, if you have proper alkilinity, you'll get a bloom.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I just shot off an email to the Scotts Co and asked for forum participation. Let's see what happens.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok great thanks Brettski! I would love to hear what they have to say!!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've been using alfalfa meal (organic) broadcast over the bottom of the pond before filling my yellow perch and bluegill production ponds. Then I spray what Dave was referring to with a pump sprayer. 10-34-0 (inorganic). I used cottonseed meal, but it left the pond a brown color, which made it hard to determine if I was looking at an algae bloom or the cottonseed meal decomposing was staining the water.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/19/10 12:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I doubt seriously that you find a lawn fert. with 10-52-4 %. Most lawn fert. is high N2, such as 36-3-3 or so. To make the grass green, but not good for building root system. Def. dont put that in. The standard formulation for good year round fert. on St. augustine is a 3-1-2 ratio; normally 15-5-10. Go find you some "Super Bloom" water soluable, or knock off. Phosphorus is for blooming plants. you may find something like 5-30-10 or something close. Some are even 52% phosphorus. They are water soluable and can apply as dave suggested. Start out with 2-3 # per acre and see what happens in 3 wks. You can mix 1 # pack in 5 gal of water and pour around in the shallows, off pier etc. or in the aeration bubbles. If you can find triple super phosphate, 0-46-0 ti may work, but is not soluable quickly and can settle to the bottom. Liquid or water soluble is easier.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
I just shot off an email to the Scotts Co and asked for forum participation. Let's see what happens.

email response, personal name omitted
 Quote:
Thank you for your interest in Scotts and for the opportunity to assist you.

I have forwarded your original e-mail to the appropriate department here at Scotts. Should this be something we are interested in, an individual from that group will be getting back with you directly.

We appreciate your interest in our products and look forward to working with you.

Consumer Response Representative

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Good idea Brettski, anytime you can get info straight from the manufacturer is a good thing. I am interested to see if Scotts will show enough interest to want to participate.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
The answer would be a resounding no. All those lawn products are heavy Nitrogen loaded. Usually a 10-1-1 ratio. You throw that in a pond and you are going to have the mother of all algae blooms. In fact, lawn fertilizer run off is a major cause of algae blooms in ponds. You wants a plankton bloom you need a pond specific fertilizer. Something along the lines of a 1-4-1 ratio. Or a 1-4-0. Those chain stores just don't have the volume buying to stock pondmeister products. Same as soil for aquatic plants. Suttlefish has a great range of products. Even a 0-46-0. Of course the answer is it depends on what you want to accomplish. You ever get those photos or what?

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/19/10 05:39 PM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Here is a real problem with incorrect fertilizer use wrt identifying the correct limiting factor. If P is the limiting factor but you add lots of N it will build up and when you finally add (or the water gets by whatever means) the P , thus removing the limiting factor , the water will have the mother of all blooms (way to much) with all its problems. It is critical to know what the limiting factor is prior to adding stuff. No guessing on this topic.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sadly, the majority of all fertilizations are based on primarily guessing about the limiting factors about this topic. Trial and error seems to be the standard method. IMO the most reliable results or success comes with first getting the alkalinity correcct and then using a standard pond/lake fertilizer such an what G.Grimes - (lakework.com) sells.

I think I recall at one time Scotts sold a lake/pond fertilizer. Brettski what exactly did you ask them?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/19/10 10:33 PM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Scotts used to make pond fertilizers a timed release 10-50-0 and a water soluble 12-49-6. But no National chain is going to waste thier shelf space on them. Not when they can stock lawn products. Answer me this, how many customers have ponds, and how many have lawns?

http://www.atac.cc/pages/fertilizing_your_pond.asp

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 03/19/10 11:08 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

I think I recall at one time Scotts sold a lake/pond fertilizer. Brettski what exactly did you ask them?

I invited them to review a discussion at America's premier pond and lake website forum regarding possible use of residential and ag fertilizer to promote an algae bloom in the water.
Proper links provided.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I did notice that today at Lowes is that all the fertilizer there is high in N and low in P. And if it's P that we need and not so much N then I can understand why I would not want to use Lawn fertilizer. I just wasn't sure why we couldn't? Plus it's a whole lot easier to get locally!! I don't mind buying Greg Grimes fertilizer at all, but what I do mind is the shipping cost to get it to me. It's not his fault by no means I understand he has to pay for shipping, but I was just hopeing I could use something I could get locally to save on shipping costs! Sounds to me though that the shipping would be a small price to pay if you messed things up with the wrong fertilizer!!!

Last edited by RC51; 03/20/10 01:23 PM.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
I spoke to Carolina Fish Hatchery today, picked up some Koi for the queens little koi pond in back. Got some fatheads for my pond. Asked his take on fertilizer in his growout ponds. Said he only used cottonseed meal, never ues fertilizer?? Anyone have opinions on this?

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Organic fertilizers 'tend' to produce a larger percentage of larger sized invertebrates vs inorganic fertilizers that promote a larger percentage of phytoplankton. Again it all depends but in general this is the main difference. Other differences do occur.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/07/12 12:35 PM.

S
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
S
Bill,
Do you, or anyone else have any experience with cottonseed meal?

"I have not failed, I have only found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Thomas Edison
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images