Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,421
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
17 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 889 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#208721 03/18/10 07:19 AM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I am on a mission to cull the overcrowded LMB out of my pond. I am also on a budget. I also like quality stuff. I know . Is there an ultralight spinning combo that is good quality and value? Seems that someone told me to avoid the BPS branded UL combo. Maybe Cabelas?

Or, if not in a combo, which UL rod and reel specifically?

For my heavier fishing, last year, TJ suggested the BPS Extreme rod and the Symetre reel and i love that combination. Thanks.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
How much do you want to spend, FarmerRick?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
when my UL broke i replaced it this year with the cabellas Brand UL combo, single piece graphite rod, good reel on it, i think it was just around 35 bucks or so. Granted i've only used it 3 or 4 times this spring, but so far so good. This is honestly my first experience with ultralight...as weird as that is (i mean i have used them, and "inherited them," just never bought them), and I am very happy with the cabellas set up i have.

I agree with the BPS branded stuff... I got a combo from them a couple years back and it was nothin but trouble, parts giving out, prone to tangles and the rod was too stiff. But i got just a rod 2 years ago and am pleased with it. A good reel on a BPS rod is not a bad thing.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/18/10 08:53 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Theo as much as is necessary for quality and it to last several seasons.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I tend to spend in the $100-$150 total for rod & reel neighborhood. If that appeals, you may find the Thread on my Condello-copy UL rig for 4 pound line interesting. I really like it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I agree with Theo. Based upon a combination of Bruce, DIED and Theo's advice I bought the same Fish Eagle II Rod and a Shimano Spirex Rear Drag ultra light rig. I love the set up so much this rig and the fly rod are the only poles I use at our pond any more.

Gotta go, the boss is yelling at me - that's ok though, I'm gonna put his reading glasses in his coffee when he's not looking.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
The plight of the self-employed ...

-S. M. Stirling
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Thanks guys. Cabelas Fish Eagle II Spinning Rod - '08 in the bargain cave is on sale and almost bought it.

Are the 1000 series Shimano's UL rated? I saw a Sedona SE500FD that appealed as well as the Spirex 1000. Do they make a Spirex in a 500?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I don't think they make the Sprirex that small. I would consider the 1000 series Shimano's to be UL. It seems like Shimano has redone most of their reel line ups this year and they look really nice. May have to buy one or two to replace some of my older Shimanos.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Rick

Dont get too caught up on getting a small reel to "match" the UL rod. Larger the reel, larger the spool, easier and further casting, etc. I'm not an advocate of the palm sized tiny reels is what I'm saying. Travis is right on IMO with the Shimano 1000 or 750 is the smallest I would ever go. I own 20 shimano symetre reels from 750 on up and they have all been super. Bruce Condello swears by the Spirex because he loves the bail trigger - one handed motion is nice I have to admit. IMO don't go UL reel - stick with the 750 or 1000.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I like Spirex for their rear drags and the one hand casting. For around $60, they are a great reel. In the last few years I have really come to enjoy fishing with longer rods. Sometimes you just can't use long rods, depending on where you fish. But in places where you have room to cast them, I love them. You can cast further and fight bigger fish with ease using lighter lines. I have been using rods in the 9'-12' length. I first got into using them for hickory and American shad fishing but soon found out they are great for other species as well.

BPS Shops Models I like

B'n'M Rods from Cabela's I like

TJ, didn't you have a custom UL rod that was in the 9'+ range made for you? I think I remember you sending me the info on it...

Lunker
Lunker
T-57 is absoulutley right about small reels, they are an abomination for line twist and loops. I love the BPS Extreme, Pro Qualifier, or Signature series in the smallest size, (1000 or 10) with their larger spool, good drags, and smooth feel. You can spend as much money as you like on this line of reels depending on how many bearings you want. I have used a lot of different UL rods, Cablelas and BPS makes some real nice ones. Lately I have been using the 5.5ft BPS Extreme in the "light" action. I prefer a 5.5 rod for it's sensitive feel for casting, but use a longer rods for electric trolling and drifting to keep my line clear the of the boat.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Here is a link to what Shimano is currently offering in spinning reels:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning.html

Click on the Specifications tab to see the various sizes.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Many thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some research/shopping to do. Its fun.

I think I will need to try long and short rods as it looks like that is a preference thing. It will be staying at and be used at my pond and it is open all around.

At this point I am thinking about snagging the Cabelas Fish Eagle II Rod while on sale, and since that is a 5 footer, also one of the longer BnM poles.

Leaning toward the Spirex 1000 for a reel.

I really appreciate the responses.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Howdy Rick-
I'm on the exact other spectrum from TJ and CJ, and use the shortest rod and smallest reel I can find for my UL outfit. For the last few years, I've used the 4.5 and 5 ft microlite rods from BPS, and a Shimano symetre 500, or sometimes one of the really small UL reels BPS sells under its own brand. I usually use 2lb test; as long as its a good brand and changed frequently, and your hooks are kept sharp, it's just the thing for 1/80-1/12 oz lures....landing a 2 pound smallie or 1 pound RES is a project!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I love longer UL rods. Always assumed I needed to use a smaller reel too. Will have to try my other reels on my UL rods.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Howdy Rick-
I'm on the exact other spectrum from TJ and CJ, and use the shortest rod and smallest reel I can find for my UL outfit. For the last few years, I've used the 4.5 and 5 ft microlite rods from BPS, and a Shimano symetre 500, or sometimes one of the really small UL reels BPS sells under its own brand. I usually use 2lb test; as long as its a good brand and changed frequently, and your hooks are kept sharp, it's just the thing for 1/80-1/12 oz lures....landing a 2 pound smallie or 1 pound RES is a project!

Jeesh always gotta be the dissenting voice! ;\)

Hey, they sell those small reels for a reason - glad the combo works for you Sac. All comes down to personal preference...BPS has a good sale going right now and you can get the Extreme rods for 60 bucks.

I agree and love the ability to cast those 1/80 oz jigs for the finicky BG bite - it's crazy being able to cast a ice jig. I bought a custom made spinning rod from a rod maker featured in In Fisherman that Travis is talking about. It's a 9.5' 1 wt fly rod blank and whips tiny jigs a mile. Small rods and longer rods - all have their places.

I still like to get away with the largest reel I can without compromising the balance of the rig. Maybe you can teach me how to maximize the performance of your wee spinning reels when I come fish UL for your monster SMB, Yolkie? \:\)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
1st rule of thumb when using those small reels - make sure they're packed with line almost to the lip. Forget about the "leave 1/8" of lip showing", and make sure that the line isn't twisted. The less line drag coming off the reel during a cast, the better. I'll pack them all the way up to the lip, then try to get out in a boat and drag 100' or so of the end of the line behind the boat without anything on it. That helps get the twists out and then when reeling it in pack it on as tight as you can. Yes, the first day you'll get some tangles. Cut it off, stick the tangle in your pocket and keep on fishing. I let the reel have the final say so on how much line it likes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
esshup's hint on dragging your mono out behind your boat with no terminal tackle on it, just the line only is a great tip. You can cure a lot of line twists and ills by doing that. The longer you pull it in the water the straighter it gets. I like to increase the speed of the boat when I start winding the line in because it loads the line on the spool tight. I also stop winding a few times on the way in to make sure there is no twist in the line when finished. One word of warning, if you and your fishing parteners are all clearing your lines in this way make sure you keep the boat going in a straight line. If the lines cross and get tangled it can be a real mess. We do this at the start of the day. No line twist, new knots, and you are set for some carefree casting.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm as you all know I'm no fishing expert and don't know whether the Spirex is considered an ultra light or not but I can tell you that if I can cast at 1/16 ounce lure a significant distance with the Fish Eagle II ultra light action pole and the Spirex 1000 reel then anyone can.

The rear drag Spirex is a joy to own. The fighting drag adjustment lever makes changing the drag during a fight a breeze, the bail trigger makes one handed casting easy - even for a goofball like me.

My wife loved my rig so much that I had to buy her one. We both really enjoy this set up.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
The fighting drag adjustment lever makes changing the drag during a fight a breeze

Once you figure out how to use it correctly, it really is a great feature! I think I have landed many more big fish on light line because of it.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
We have a paddle boat and the pond is such that we will hve to go in circles if we do the line out to untwist it thing. That would probably add as many twists as it removes. I wonder if i could just let the line out the window of the truck whilst driving down a country road about 120mph so the end of the line at 100 yards would not be bouncing off the ground.

Thanks to all for the valuable info. I ordered a Spirex rear drag 1000 and the Cabelas Fish Eagle II Rod.

Lunker
Lunker
Rick

Flipping the spool over a couple times while spooling your reel helps remove line twist if Scott's option isn't viable.

You in a paddle boat going in circles is a video I'd like to see.... \:\)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Rick, I think you will enjoy that set up. The Fish Eagle is a nice rod for the money and the Spirex is top notch.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
My lower end rods are all fish eagle II. One piece I have 3, I had 4 but a LM<B pulled one over when I was not looking, or fishing with two poles and landing another fish. I think I have the 5'6", 6'0 and 6'6". I won't use anything two piece. I have a real nice St. Croix and a newer Kistler. I tend to use those while my kids or guests use the FEII's.

I have all of the reels. I actually like the little Shimano's Spirex and Stradic 1000.s They are good enough. But I have some nicer Quantum Energy PT, my favorite, and a bunch of Okumas. The Epixor baitfeeder is really cool with a baby bg on it. My son caught 8 LMB to 4 1/2 in a half an hour letting that puppy feed. Hey dad, time to set the hook. I use the V system also. I fish with some tourney bass guys and they really like the Okuma spinning reels for the money/value. They have a ton of bearings and zero wobble. Pretty good drags. I try to match reels, poles and lb test. And lure weight of course. But I finesse most of the time unless I am in fast current rivers. I'd go with the FEII 5 ft and a Okuma Epixor EF-20b. Thats a great reel 9 bearing for same price as rod, $60. Helluva UL combo for $120.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday