Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328, Shorthose, Snipe, NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8), 1,160 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Ive been removing a bunch of those 8-12" bass out of my pond and a Rostertail was working great. I caught 60 last weekend. I noticed yesterday that they would swim up behind it and get a good look then turn away. I think they figured it out. Does anyone know of some different types of really small lures that may work to catch these small fish?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My favorite lure for catching 8"-12" bass that are a bit hook shy is the 3 1/4" Lunker City Fin-S Shad in a natural color, Texas rigged with no weight on 4-6 pound mono or fluoro. Use a ultralight set up so you can cast it, and reel it in, twitching as you go making it dart and dash. It's weedless so weeds are a problem and little 8"-12" bass just love it. You can also slow it down and catch plenty of fish in colder water.

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I had actually picked some of them up a academy last night except I thing the ones I got were only about 2". So you saying just rig them with a hook and don't use any weight?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
http://www.wikihow.com/Texas-Rig-a-Plastic-Worm Just skip the weight... Or use a VERY light weight, like a 1/32 or 1/16 bullet weight. Those sizes can be tough to find at times though. Bass Pro usually has them in stock if you have a store near by... I'll add the weight if I want the rig to go a bit deeper. For the 3 1/4" size Fin-S I like a size 1 or 1/0 hook, but sometimes as small as a 2.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If I really need to catch fish, I use minnows and 4 pound line. No cork.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: jsand13
I noticed yesterday that they would swim up behind it and get a good look then turn away. I think they figured it out.

Roostertails are a great lure for that. Use the same lure but try a different retrieve. Sometimes a faster retrieve gives them less time to think about it and you can get a reactionary strike. Or change colors.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The small sunfish swim bait works great, probably better than any artificial I have tried so far. Colored like a longear sunfish, tail wiggles, has treble hooks. I've caught from ~7" up to 16" with it. Not crazy about the treble hooks, but if you're frying them, it doesn't matter much.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I have used a black and silver 2 to 3 inch jointed rapala and caught 22 one day. They work pretty good. Plus a very small hula popper works good.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Roostertails are a great lure for that. Use the same lure but try a different retrieve. Sometimes a faster retrieve gives them less time to think about it and you can get a reactionary strike. Or change colors.

Ya this seems to be the one they hit the most in my pond. Take needlenose and close the barb down. If your catching and releasing.

Just working my pond for Grandkids
GET THE NET PAWPAW
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
I found this tiny chatterbait (about 2 inches long, the chatter plate is no more than a half of an inch, so 2.5 inches together) on a heavy jighead (3/8) with a chartreuse skirt and a white grub on the hook last year, the little bass hit it over and over again in all of my normal fishing spots. I plan on using it in my dad's pond to harvest a bunch of his skinny bass come when i get up there this summer. I don't know where it was purchased, but I'd love to find another (got this one out of a tree while ice fishing 2 years back). different colors would be great too, if anyone has seen the ones i am talking about. Cabellas didn't have one this small last i checked, but their big bucktail chatterbait is a good one for fish of all kinds.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you can, post a pic of it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I brought a couple of those the other day at academy. They had a chatter bait and a chatter minnow. I haven't tried them out yet though.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Did they look like this ?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
S
looks just like this but the chatter plate is a little smaller...otherwise spot on.
1/4 oz chatters
the head+skirt is 2"...i imagine the skirt's been cut to make it that way. The plate is about 1/4 the length of the body. The trailer is just a forked white soft plastic grub. Little bass love the look, and i've presented it jigging up and down off the bottom as well as reeling like a spinner. Works awesome.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/25/10 09:25 PM. Reason: i'z reel goud at spuelling....

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I have been catching small bass with these...

http://www.finksbaitandtackle.com/catalog/phoebe.gif

1/12th ounce in gold.

The treble hooks tear the fish up though.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
These are to two small chatterbaits I know of...

Z-Man Chatter Micro

My personal favorite is this one: Z-Man Chatter panfish/trout I've caught a lot of smallies on it...

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have had a lot of luck early using Rapela floating minnow lures and also Rooster Tails. I think I need to make a trip and get some additional colors just to change it up on them.

I've got a jointed Rapela minnow (yellow and green) I haven't tried yet.

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Chartreuse Curly Tail Grub w/ a 1/4-1/8 ounce jighead.

They also seem to hammer floating - 4' stick baits in a yellow perch pattern or baby LMB pattern.

If you have a fly rod they will crush little poppers. So will BG.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
use a 4" finesse worm on a 1/4 or 1/8 oz shakey head jig. bass can't stand it.

Bass Cat Boats! Feel the Rush!
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I gotta go with a white 1/8 oz. Roostertail fished 5 or 6 feet off the bank as number one followed not too close by Steven Bates shakey head.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Call me crazy but I have never fished a roostertail. I just thought they would not catch bass. Anyway forgive me but how do you fish it? I may have to add one to the tackle box, if nothing less its an excuse to go to the outdoor stores.

Get out and fish.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I rotate thru a spoon, usually a daredevil or lil cleo and a spinner, either a roostertail, mepps or a blue fox. Once they quit biting one I switch off to the other. If they are pellet fed I may use a scent, gulp worm.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
for 1/8 oz Rooster tail, 4-6lb line. Cast, take up slack give it a quick snap to get the blade going then retrieve at medium speed. You'll should be able to feel the load when the blade is turning.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: jakeb
Call me crazy but I have never fished a roostertail. I just thought they would not catch bass. Anyway forgive me but how do you fish it? I may have to add one to the tackle box, if nothing less its an excuse to go to the outdoor stores.

JMHO

I don't fish with them for bass much as I think there are better baits, but they will catch bass. Pressured bass don't seem to be fooled by them. They aren't a finesse bait and they aren't for lethargic fish. They cover a lot of water, so if the fish are active you can put it in front of a lot of fish's face.

As far as how to fish them... I use them mostly for trout, however the methods are much the same. In a pond, I like to cast perpendicular to the shore. Depending on water depth, I'll count anywhere from 1-10 seconds to give the roostertail a while to sink and then I'll start cranking. Usually a steady retrieve works best, speed varies, but usually on the fast end. Bass sometimes like when you pause and twitch them to throw some erratic action into them. My buddy swears by them for catching small river walleye. Something he did he could get walleye, usually in the 8"-12" range to just hammer his. I could never duplicate it.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
My favorite culling bait is a 3" "senko-type" bait in green/white - fished on UL rod with no weight and a 1/0 or 2/0 hook.

Roostertails work well but my pond has too many snags to keep it from being hung on sticks, stumps, and logs all the time.

At the right time of the year/day, a tiny torpedo works well and is by far the most fun because I love those "blow-ups" on top-water baits!

Also, those li'l chatterbaits that others are talking about are great too. I've lost all mine but I plan to get some more.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...