Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 896 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
3/4 acre BOW
10-12 Max depth
Might experience some agricultural runoff, not sure but water might be on the slightly more turbid side - still dry pond at this point - he is willing to add catch ponds to help prevent muddy runoff.
Mainly shaded - lots of mature timber around the pond

He wanted a LMB/BG/CC pond...innocent enough and easily established.

He started talking to me.

He started reading PB SMB threads.

He started changing his mind.

He figures he can ALWAYS catch all the BG and LMB he wants minutes from his house, but how many BOWs in Eastern NE have SMB, YP, HSB, Male BG and RES? Only two other ponds I know of. Besides, he can always revert to a LMB fishery if the experiment doesn't yield the results he desires.

Wants to know feasibility of going this route considering his pond situation.

Should he seek more depth in the pond than 10-12'?
No electricity, but will have windmill aerator - will this help the [YP/SMB] survive as they are more sensitive to water quality?
Might have slight turbidity - will this effect these species negatively?
Any other issues he should consider? I've been primarily concerned with water quality issues thinking the YP and SMB might need something better.

Any advice would be appreciated...I love the fact he's considering going the more exotic route, but I want to provide him with as much advice as possible prior to him making the commitment.

Thanks all!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
tj:

I know this won't help much, but in light that he won't be feeding, I wonder if the YP/RES will be a large enough forage base for the SMB/HSB?

Is the pond clay lined, and is he pretty sure that it won't get much shallower due to sediment? Personally, I would like it to be deeper, but that's because I've only had experience with the sandy soils around here which tend to slide to the deepest part of the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
TJ asked the questions for my pond, wanting a little more feedback.

I don't have a feeder right now, but it's certainly in the plans.

The pond is clay and was planning on going 12-15' deep. Currently we're sitting at about 8' and dry. Deep enough or more?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I bought this place I was told that the pond was 20' deep. I took posession (3 months after closing) at the end of February, and a week later the ice went off of the pond. I found out then that there was a Winterkill and all the large fish in the pond died. It turns out that the pond was only 7'-8' deep at max depth, and that was only for 1/4th of the pond at the maximum. I bought an electric aerator for the next winter and haven't had a problem with Winterkill since.

If it was my pond, I'd go to 15' depth, and plan on some sediment filling it back in a couple feet, but that's because I have sandy soil. I don't know how much sediment will build up in your pond. Personally, I'd be comfortable with 50% of the pond depth at 12' after the first couple of years sediment build-up. I believe you'll see the most sediment build-up the first year or 2, before all the plants get established around the pond.

With a 3/4 ac pond, the sides might get pretty steep if you go much deeper than 15'.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I currently have a 3:1 slope. Will continue that till we hit the 12-15 mark and level off.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sounds like a good plan. Will you have any bottom contours, or will it be bowl shaped with man-made structures?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I was planning on using the bobcat to create some trenches, dropoffs, etc., but have some pvc that's looking for a place to rest as well. Will I need as much with these species as opposed to the LMB?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Not to the extent that LMB do, but they'll still use it. I'd put that stuff in there because if you ever change to LMB you'll want it there!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
What do I need to do to ensure the water quality is sufficient for SMB? The BOW is very close to a field, as TJ mentioned. Small grass buffers between 10-20 feet wide. Currently the field is the corn/beans rotation, but I will try to convince my dad to plant alfalfa in this area to cut down on the silt runoff. We were planning on a windmill aerator shortly after the pond is complete.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Bill/Eric others:

In Eastern NE with slightly turbid water, windmill aeration, supplement pellet program - Can our friend safely try the SMB/YP/RES/HSB experiment? Any concerns you might harbor with the water clarity or lack of electric aeration? Please chime in if you can! Thanks!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO in Nebraska water clarity will be just about as important as aeration. Do all you can to minimize siltation and suspended clay.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
IMO in Nebraska water clarity will be just about as important as aeration. Do all you can to minimize siltation and suspended clay.

What are some suggestions or experiences in catching siltation? TJ mentioned an area where he thought I should dig a catch pond or two. And good, thick grass buffers between the field and pond.

Ok, ultimately I'm still considering this. Is there anything preventing me from stocking forage when full pool and then when the vegetation is established, clay settled, etc., see if the clarity is good enough for SMB? If so, go ahead when forage is well established. If not, stock BG and LMB. As TJ pointed out, if the clarity or something turns out to not be well suited for SMB habitat, I could always turn back to LMB, but I'd like to keep the SMB possibility open till I know for sure one way or the other.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You can suspend the diffuser off the bottom in a bucket to help with not stirring up the bottom. Are the fields fertilized ? Buffer strips are a good idea. A small ( 6 inches deep) furrow on the upland side of the strips will help catch silt and fertilizer.

SMB can live in some fairly turbid rivers in the south for example the Tenn-Tom in N Miss. They raise a lot of big SMB.

Last edited by ewest; 01/18/10 09:50 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I would work hard to maintain a very thick vegetation buffer between your pond and where ever your runoff is coming in. If your pond is fed by a stream, in the channel where the stream feeds into the main pond, I would build a small catch basin wetland type pond. Allow it to slow the water down, let that water drop it's sediments and then make entry into your pond. I don't see any reason why you couldn't stock your forage, like GSH, FHM but not sunfish far ahead of your SMB. Allow the forage to build while you see what the final clarity of your pond will be. Then you can stock SMB, if they work out... Great, if not you can always switch to the BG/LMB option.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: ewest
A small ( 6 inches deep) furrow on the upland side of the strips will help catch silt and fertilizer.

How wide would you make that to make it last through weather? I would think that would fill pretty quickly wouldn't it? Similar in principle to TJ's catch pond suggestion.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I don't see any reason why you couldn't stock your forage, like GSH, FHM but not sunfish far ahead of your SMB. Allow the forage to build while you see what the final clarity of your pond will be. Then you can stock SMB, if they work out... Great, if not you can always switch to the BG/LMB option.

That's what I had in mind Travis. Thanks. LMB won't care if it's a little deeper.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Eric Bill and Travis thanks for chiming in. I am worried a little about turbidity and runoff but since Josh has an Uncle with a dozer he can create burms, channels, and silt ponds to slow it down allow the particulate to settle and minimize siltation.

Josh you have a great idea - stock forage and RES and see what your water situation becomes. Bruce has around 24" clarity and he has SMB and YP. Both do well. I can help you figure out where to strategically place the buffers, burms, channels and silt ponds. Your silt ponds could also serve as forage generating machines - PK Shrimp, FHM, GSH, etc. Just seine whenever you need to supplement the pond with forage. I like that idea the more I think about it.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I would work hard to maintain a very thick vegetation buffer between your pond and where ever your runoff is coming in. If your pond is fed by a stream, in the channel where the stream feeds into the main pond, I would build a small catch basin wetland type pond. Allow it to slow the water down, let that water drop it's sediments and then make entry into your pond. I don't see any reason why you couldn't stock your forage, like GSH, FHM but not sunfish far ahead of your SMB. Allow the forage to build while you see what the final clarity of your pond will be. Then you can stock SMB, if they work out... Great, if not you can always switch to the BG/LMB option.

+1

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Your silt ponds could also serve as forage generating machines - PK Shrimp, FHM, GSH, etc. Just seine whenever you need to supplement the pond with forage.

Maybe this is the nerd in me, but this sounds really cool.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Sounds like things are really coming together. I think you have a solid plan. You should think about always having a little bottleneck in your pond you can net off so you could raise forage or grow out fingerlings. Eric West employs this method successfully and has written a few articles in PB on the process that I really enjoyed and dumbed it down so even I might be able to do it. Since you still have the blank canvas might not be a bad idea to entertain something like that?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sounds like things are really coming together. I think you have a solid plan. You should think about always having a little bottleneck in your pond you can net off so you could raise forage or grow out fingerlings. Eric West employs this method successfully and has written a few articles in PB on the process that I really enjoyed and dumbed it down so even I might be able to do it. Since you still have the blank canvas might not be a bad idea to entertain something like that?

I'll have 2 coves that I can play with, northeast and northwest corners. Would probably be easier to use the northeast corner. If you recall that was that potentially shallow corner that I stretched out near the 'entrance'.

I'm liking this more and more. I think it will 'force' me to be more involved in the management process instead of the LMB and BG taking care of themselves.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
What would prevent me from considering Pumpkinseeds?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Yo Josh

PS max out at 8" and IIRC have high fecundity more similar to a BG - so overpopulation/stunting may be an issue like with BG. RES are the suggested sunfish via Dave Willis because of their lower fecundity...fewer numbers for the predators/Milczski family to manage.

If you are really serious about giving the SMB, YP, RES, HSB, M BG a try I can help stock the following this Spring/early Summer:

YP: I think I'm going to pull off a spawn this year as I caught a ton of gravid females through the ice this year and have plenty of sticky structure in my creek arms. I should be able to seine these out at some point this Summer/Fall - no way I'm going to need them all. Or, Rob at NE lake management sells them at a fair price.

HSB: Bruce raises these every year and always is left with several dozen...or, I'll have about 50 I need to remove from my pond in Autumn and they should be around 12" or so, maybe a little large to stock in your pond just yet, though.

RES: We can catch as many as you want from W NE and right before we are to fillet them accidently dump the bucket into your pond! D'OH - clumsy TJ!

BG: I have CSBG and we can fish or trap/seine all the Males you want.

SMB: If all goes well I should have 3-4" in the repro pond this Autumn - would be a good time to stock them, too.

GSH: Anderson's sells 250M fry for $275. In an pond devoid of a fish population it's a good gamble IMO.

FHM: 5-10# from Orschleins Fish Days from Arkansas Pond Stockers [be sure to hand sort!] would do the trick - I used them last year and was satisfied by only finding one CNBG in the bunch. Rob at NE Lake Management will also sell them in mid April for $35/1000.

PK Shrimp: Come over and let's net some this Spring. I hope to have plenty - I stocked around 4M last year, I should at that rate! Getting them in early should help establish a strong presence for your fish later on.

I can't wait for this to get rolling...seems like 5 years ago I visited your place.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Awesome TJ. I was really curious, and couldn't find a whole lot of information on PS fecundity.

I have reserved myself to the task of stocking SMB and YP. Check my pond thread in Selecting a Site. I was out there over the weekend, first time in a couple months, and the soil, to my untrained eye anyway, looks GREAT. Nice clumps, no "runs", and the water looked great. Only thing now is, we have to pump it out to continue digging. And I'm too impatient for this man. I'm teaching myself how to operate that dozer.

All of that sounds almost too good to be true and I'm so fortunate you are so clumsy with your fish.

And I want in on one of the sides of those nets. ;\)

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Josh - I may not be 100% correct on the PS as I have zero experience with them, I'm simply reciting information I THINK I've read from Dr Willis' panfish to couple with SMB article.

I can always use a seining partner - I'll count you in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM